Anyone remember the Tailor Barney Goodmans?

Mackleys on corporation street made my wedding suit-- it still fits, no--dont wear it now:P.

On saterday midday it was always full of lads off the building sites , the carpet on the front door was always covered with sand/cement that had set:D.

He used to cut for Barney and was always my preferance when he went to his own place. Most of its off the peg these days:|.

You are quite right Jim. Blame my sister as we were talking about the lady the other day, such an awful death.

Back in the 60's Barney used to ask me to press and hand iron his customers suits if he had his own presser off sick i presume,i worked in a dry cleaners not far away on union street,after doing them i delivered them back,he alway's had a brown envolope in exchange for me in appreciation,the guy was the best tailor in Sheffield and such a nice gentleman.

Surely not!

I think you mean Isidore Newman.

Yes Jim it was Isidore (Isadore ?) Newman, one of my brothers went there and I think it was actually ON the Moor, perhaps opposite the old Travelers pub. Perhaps you recall Fairweather's tailor's that were at Petre Street/Sutherland Road and the owner was a former employee of Mr. Goodman ?

Edited by stpetre
Add

My Barney still fits perfectly and looks as good as it was when new forty years ago .

wore it last week in Barnsley the lads in the Silkstone Inn thought I was royalty .

The oracle that is hillsbro has it taped. :)

Isidore Newman's is still shown at 170 The Moor in the 1973 directory. At that time the temporary shops were about to be bulldozed to make way for new buildings, and the 1974 directory doesn't show Isidore Newman on the Moor. There was still "M. Newman (tailors)" at 169 London Road and this firm continued to be listed (it had evidently been Isidore's father's business - see below). I have a vague memory of a tailor's shop on Charles Street with the Newman name but I might be mistaken here.

I just delved a little into public records regarding the Newmans. These show that Isidore Newman was born in Sheffield in 1892, the son of a Russian-born tailor, Morris Newman (formerly Neumann) and his wife Sophia. Morris Neumann and Sophia Woolman had arrived from Russia in the 1880s (no doubt having moved to England to escape the persecution of Jews) and they married in Sheffield in 1889. They set up home at 50 Ecclesall Road and a few years later moved to 21 Wadbrough Road, by which time Morris's business had been established at 171 The Moor. Morris and Sophia became naturalised British citizens in 1903, and by the time of the 1911 census they and their five children had moved around the corner to 25 Dover Road. Morris's tailoring business had expanded so that he acquired the shop next door, and it is shown at 171-173 The Moor in directories between 1901 and the early 1930s, then at 175-177 The Moor from about 1934. Morris Newman died aged 71 in 1939, and the following year his shop on the Moor may have been destroyed in the Blitz, as the 1942 directory includes the note "175 & 177 The Moor - NEWMAN M., tailor; removed to 169 London Rd." As for young Isidore, directories from the 1930s show "Isidore Newman, high-class tailor" at 124 The Moor. This shop evidently also fell victim to the bombing, so that Isidore Newman moved to the temporary building at No 170. Isidore had married Beatrice Levi in 1927; their daughter Sylvia was born in 1930. Their private address is shown as 224 Chippinghouse Road in directories of the 1930s and 1940s. Isidore died in 1950, and later directories show Beatrice Newman at that address until c. 1960.

had my wedding suit made by Barney Goodman, quality suit

coincidently it's my 22nd wedding anniversary tomorrow

Might dust off the old suit bag & see if I can still get in it...

hi arthur when i used wildsmith he was in carver st. just off west st.not below division st. i left sheffield in 1967/8 so he may well have moved cheers dave b.

All my mates and I always went to Joe Wildsmith on Calver Street for our bespoke suits,he was top notch!.I had two suits a year made by him in the sixties,he kept all your measurements on cards which he saved in a cardboard box,he would remark"You,ve put so many inches on your waist!",ect cetera!.He was not cheap but you ended up with a top quality suit,when I went out with a nice white shirt with stiff collar,silk tie,highly polished brogue brown shoes,my suits usually had a waistcoat complete with pocket watch and chain I felt like Prince Phillip!.I had one suit made at Barneys but I didn,t like it,no complaint about the quality it was his trade mark wide shoulders,I am broad anyway and when I wore the coat I felt like I had to walk sideways to not block peoples way!.I am glad I experienced those days when I go out nowadays for a drink 90% of blokes look like they have been working under their cars,they seem to have no pride in their appearance!.

My Grandmother worked at B.Gs for a good few years, my Mum told me how high the standards were and even the button holes were checked to make sure the stitching was perfect.

From what family told me when I was a kid, Gran was highly respected there and good at her job.

Hopefully some of her work is still being worn.

You could always tell a Barney Goodman suit with the shoulder seams!

I remember Uncle Roy, a hod carrier, always had his suits made a BG. He had the physique to carry the suits.

Was there another one in town, not ' Barney's' but perhaps equivalent, Furness and Dukes ??