Anyone remember the Tailor Barney Goodmans?

I had clothes from there and was a spived kid hi hi.

For an old fashioned ( in the best way) tailor try Gary Shepherd at Calver his place is about four miles out of Baslow on the way to Eyam. His shop is a tiny one roomed affair with gary and his wife making the suits from scratch, I have had some really good clothes frm them. Not cheap but very good value for money.

Reading these posts reminds me of when I was young and men were men and they dressed in suits and collar and ties and you could always tell who had taken the trouble and spent money to look smart.

I still see a few of them knocking about these days they are all of a certain age now but they have not lost that special something that stands them apart from the crowd and they still have manners and are polite where ladies are concerned.

There used to be a little shop on Duke St.

Pardon the expression (Jewish name) I think Mr. Sandler.

A bit cheaper than "Barney's" then around £20 in the fifties.

Exciting times - - the Edwardian influence,and the need to be recognised.

Yes, he was a good bit cheaper. Off the rack stuff mostly. Specialized in kids' suits in the days when kids used to wear them. That store went bk to at least the thirties as I remember seeing it listed in Kelly's Directory. My grandad bought me a suit there once.

Barney Gs? I could never afford their suits and had to go to Burton's. Quite a difference in quality though.

Barney Goodmans still going very well. Me and my father have made suit there and he is perfect.

Barney Goodmans still going very well. Me and my father have made suit there and he is perfect.

Is it make your own now then?

Barney Goodman was a decent man, my Father always went to Barney to have his suits made.They used cloth by Reid & Taylor, they kept their shape and never wore out. My Father once told me his brother had a suit made, and shortly after got called up to the war. the bill was sent to his Mothers address where he was living. Not being able to pay it she went to see Barney. Where is your son he asked. He's in France, she said. Barney took the bill from her and tore it up. Nothing to pay, he said.

Barney Goodman was a decent man, my Father always went to Barney to have his suits made.They used cloth by Reid & Taylor, they kept their shape and never wore out. My Father once told me his brother had a suit made, and shortly after got called up to the war. the bill was sent to his Mothers address where he was living. Not being able to pay it she went to see Barney. Where is your son he asked. He's in France, she said. Barney took the bill from her and tore it up. Nothing to pay, he said.

I can still see Barney today [minds eye] stood out side his shop on the corner of the Arcade [demolished by town hall nutters] . He always had his hands behind his back and he was measuring you up as you approached the shop . It was always sir this and sir that as he followed you inside and proceeded to discover how much you could afford.

I once walked out because the suit I wanted was to much money for me . Half a dozen paces up Pinstone St Barney tapped me on his shoulders and called me back to see what he could do.

I got the suit.

Back in the early 60,s my cousin,s girlfriend, later to become his wife worked at Barneys as a seamstress, her name was Ivy Ketner,does anyone who worked there remember her?

I could never aford to get my suits from Barneys, I used to get mine from John Temples on the Moor. He had all the latest styles and trends and the tailoring was very good. Going to him I could afford a new suit every 4 months or so, whereas if I went to Barneys it would have been one suit a year.

Derek Clayton. Canberra Australia.

I saw a program just last year in the US, I thinks it was called How Things Are Made.. Around the world, .anyhow it showed a Taylor's in Hong Kong where western business men get suits measured and pick them up when they leave, it said all the materials for this popular Taylor's were made in Sheffield England , imagine Sheffield making material to send to China :). The program also showed how saws were made...that was in a Sheffield factory too.

I wonder if anyone recalls a tailor called Isadore Duncan (I think that's how it was spelled) The shop was set back from the Moor with a few other shops behind an area that had been bombed (possibly Atkinsons)

I wonder if anyone recalls a tailor called Isadore Duncan (I think that's how it was spelled) The shop was set back from the Moor with a few other shops behind an area that had been bombed (possibly Atkinsons)

Surely not!

I think you mean Isidore Newman.