Anyone remember the Tailor Barney Goodmans?

Barneys was on the front corner of what was called The Arcade on the Moor I think there was a barbers in the arcade too called Lew Bergins.

Originally posted by PopT

I had suits made by Bill Mackley and they were the tops as soon as you put one on you knew it had been made for you, it fitted perfectly.

When you got ready to go out in the 60's you felt great wearing the suit, tie, linen shirt and good pair of leather shoes.

My lad scrounged the last jacket I had, he wears it to a pair of jeans.

Bill had twin daughters who were both married on the same day.

I wonder if they are still in Sheffield?

Happy Days!

My brother was a tailor at Bills,I used to babysit his grandchildren I do not know if Tony was his son or inlaw.He was a great bloke & a gentleman

Remember having a suit made when his shop was above Suggs the sports shop down the Moor in an arcade.

They were by far the best tailored suits in Sheffield but in those days there could be a waiting list!

You could always tell a Barny suit, the arms, where they joined the shoulder didn't have any sort of a ridge like you find from any other tailor.

Originally posted by brooksy

many years ago my grandad used 2 have all is suits made at a tailors called barny goodmans. i can remember him wearing them and they all seemed 2 have massively wide shoulders on them. i sometimes go in the attercliffe liberal club and see 2 chaps always at the bar whom seem 2 be wearing the same quality suits, is this shop stillgoing.

The shop your grandfather used was at the top of the Cambridge Arcade on Pinstone St just up from where the Heart foundation shop is now. You could always tell a Barneys suit because of the perfect shoulders.

When Ernie Wise of Morecambe and Wise started to make a name for himself when he was barely a teenager Barney made a suit for him, it skint Ernie but he considered it money well spent, which it was.

There used to be a little shop on Duke St.

Pardon the expression (Jewish name) I think Mr. Sandler.

A bit cheaper than "Barney's" then around £20 in the fifties.

Exciting times - - the Edwardian influence,and the need to be recognised.

had 3 made at barneys after awhile found a good tailor by the name of goldsmith in carver street anyone remember goldsmiths

barneys was on the front corner of what was called the arcade on the moor i think there was a barbers in the arcade too called lew bergins.

and the el mambo. Owned by ted baker

Barney Goodmans is still going strong. I have my suits made there.

They are on Ecclesall Road, town side of the Berkely Precinct.

Staff all worked at original shop but some are getting on a bit.

Bit OT but would Barney's offer a measuring only service? I've often thought it would be handy to have those measurements to hand.

I got all my suits at Kearney's, he worked for BG originally. Brilliant tailor, absolute top quality. The only thing was they were so well made you had to go to work in 'em at some time or other. A lot of the lads on the buildings, brickies etc; would do that, go in the 'Lion' on Saturday dinner and there we were, sharp suit, gobbo covered boots.

Who runs the shop these days,is it Ralph Barneys son,or has someone else got the shop.

Ralph went to live in Blackpool and sadly died a few years ago

I got my suits from Barneys. Do you also recall the stiff separate collars on shirts which when worn with a suit and tie gave you a smart appearance. I wonder if the YOBS of today were to wear suits and ties it would prevent them from pushing and shoving and then scrapping on the pavements..after all you would not want an expensive outfit covered in muck would you?

Incidentally I got my stiff collars laundered at the Chinese laundry called i think Willy ung or similar. 6 collars for about a couple of bob in the 1960s.....Memories Ah!!

My Father always had his suits made at "Barney's" and when I left school he took me along to be measured up for one . He promised to pay for it and told me to look after it. I was still growing and it only lasted a couple of years before it was too small, but I dare'nt throw it away.