Bloor Street Sheffield?

Can you help?.

I am trying to help someone in New Zealand trace their Sheffield ancestors. The information below is how I received it.

John Parkin married Clara Bell, they lived at 89 Pitsmoor Road.

3 daughters Annie who married a Mr. Bufton, Florence who married a Mr. Ward, Edith, who was the enquirers grandmother.

3 sons John, died 1917, Alex who died at the age of 2, Ernest who married and had a son named Ernest, who was still alive in 1986, though he would be quite elderly by then, Ernest we think was married so they may be his descendants somewhere. Do any of these names ring a bell or as anyone come across them while researching their own family history?.

The other names I have are, John and Catten Patrick, who had,

4 daughters, Mary, Anne, Ester and Catherine who married a John Angus.

2 sons, William, John.

Catherine and John Angus lived at 72 Bloor Street . Where in Sheffield was Bloor Street?. Catherine died in 1940 in New Zealand.

Can anyone help?, before I make the trip to the Archives.

I belong to an organisation which looks after Ruskin Park which was built on the top of Bloor Street.

Pictures here: Bloor Street piccies

Unfortunately, they only show the street after the houses were gone. I've a couple more so if you pm me your email address I'll send them on.

Parkin 1901

john 38 copper smith

clara 37

florence 12

edith 9

annie 6

john 4

ernest 1

not connected to this family just being helpful

also have them in 1891

THank you for those who have taken the time to bring us some news. The photo at the top of Bloor Street (the grocery) look very like a photo that I have of my grandfather who had a horse outside their shop and delivered groceries. It woul be interesting to know if this was the shop - they came the New Zealand about 1910 from England.

Carol

This may be slightly out of date, but as a new member, I've only just read the original messages.

I lived at the top of Bloor St. for the first few years of my life, and would appreciate any information or pictures being forwarded to me. The house we lived in was directly across the road from the Blake Pub, and was pulled down around 1975.

My family are Bufton's, mainly from Pitsmoor around the early 1900's. We have a Harry Bufton who married an Annie but I've only just started researching the family tree so don't have much more information.did Annie die in her early 20's?

...We have a Harry Bufton who married an Annie but I've only just started researching the family tree so don't have much more information.did Annie die in her early 20's?
Hi HannahSpaner - a Harry Bufton married an Annie L. Parton in Sheffield in 1914. She was most likely the Annie L. Parton who turns up, aged 25, in the 1911 census return, living with her widowed mother Emily Jane at 45 Neill Road. Harry could have been the Harry Bufton who in the 1911 census return was aged 21 and living with his widowed mother Emma at 16 ct 1 Woodside Lane.

The only matching Sheffield death record I can find for Annie is one of an Annie L. Bufton who died in Sheffield aged 82 in 1968. Kelly's directories from the mid-1950s show a Harry Bufton at 165 Tullibardine Road. A Harry Bufton died in Sheffield aged 68 in 1958, and "Mrs A.L. Bufton" is shown at 165 Tullibardine Road in 1960s directories.

I was born in bloor street in 1951, we had to live with relatives Hilda and George Morton. We eventually moved to Allen st in pitsmoor. I can always remember going back to visit and going downstairs to the scullery to play with the dolly posh 

Edited by George hudson

1 hour ago, George hudson said:

I was born in bloor street in 1951, we had to live with relatives Hilda and George Morton. We eventually moved to Allen st in pitsmoor. I can always remember going back to visit and going downstairs to the scullery to play with the dolly posh 

Where in Pitsmoor was Allen Street ?

15 hours ago, St Petre said:

Where in Pitsmoor was Allen Street ?

I think he may mean Shalesmoor.

Burgoyne Road / Bloor Street, air raid damage and Daniel Hill Street (junction of Bloor Street), here on Picture Sheffield. That's both ends of Bloor Street. More information on the links.

If you go to the third link you can see an old map of Bloor Street and using the slider at the bottom left of the page you can bring up an overlay of a modern map showing the new park mentioned above.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s00998&pos=1&action=zoom&id=4820

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y04209&pos=2&action=zoom&id=92938

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.3925&lon=-1.4939&layers=168&b=1

s00998.jpgy04209.jpg

Edited by Boginspro

I remember the Beals  from Bloor Street and also Charlie Appleby.