Fetching Knitalong

Yeah, it's definitely those sweeties:hihi: oops sorry guys - old age you know!

I'm starting my second pair of Fetchings today. Here's the official start picture :) .

I cast on for Fetching - and am stuck already. I'm following Hecates guide to knitting on DPNs at the same time. The pattern says to cast on 45 stitches. I've done this. It then says to divide them between the needles, 15 stitches on each. Well, there are only 3 lots of 15 stitches, so they only go on 3 needles. I'm confused... HELP!

I cast on for Fetching - and am stuck already. I'm following Hecates guide to knitting on DPNs at the same time. The pattern says to cast on 45 stitches. I've done this. It then says to divide them between the needles, 15 stitches on each. Well, there are only 3 lots of 15 stitches, so they only go on 3 needles. I'm confused... HELP!

It's due to the fact that my guide was written for knitting using four DPNs plus the working needle, while Fetching is knit on three DPNs plus the working needle.

Dividing the stitches onto three DPNs is correct for Fetching.

All the techniques of knitting in the round on DPNs I describe in my guide still apply - the techniques are the same infact - but you'll just be using one less needle.

I hate DPNs already. But I'll persevere.

Of course, I may have no hair left by the end of it due to ripping it all out.

*Goes to cast on again*

Well im up to the bit were you insert the waste yarn and i really don't understand it, more why im doing it then how i do it. I was back home the last couple of days and got to that bit when i was at home, thought nah, i'll start it when im back in sheffield and i've got all my knitting stuff (incase i have an accident with it..:hihi: ) so i've made a good start on those socks yesterday and today (the self striping regia ones), they look cool! im getting used to knitting on dpns now, must admit though i prefer aluminium dpns to bamboo (fetchings being done with aluminium and socks with bamboo).

I hate DPNs already. But I'll persevere.

Of course, I may have no hair left by the end of it due to ripping it all out.

*Goes to cast on again*

Aw, stick with it, gempud. It does get easier, honestly :) .

Well im up to the bit were you insert the waste yarn and i really don't understand it, more why im doing it then how i do it. ...

I didn't quite get it either at first, to be honest. Just follow the instructions as written, and it'll start to make sense when you get to the bit about working the thumb.

The waste yarn just allows you to go back to the spot where the thumb hole will be and unravel it. As you do so, you slip the newly-released 'live' stitches at the top and bottom of the hole onto two needles. You then have to pick up a couple of stitches at either side of the hole and divide all the stitches between the three needles again to knit the thumb in the round.

It makes more sense as you do it, rather than reading about it. Just think of the waste yarn as a marker, holding the stitches together temporarily until you need to use them for the thumb.

I finished my first one! Yay. It took 4 attempts to cast it on, but after I'd tried it the last time it seemed to work and it took me from about 11am til now to finish it. I cocked up a bit on the thumb, but nothing a bit of artistic sewing couldn't fix.

So I learned to do;

Cable cast on

Picot bind off

Work on DPNs

Work on bamboo needles

Work in the round

Cable

Not bad, 6 firsts in one little project. I would post a photo but bloke has the camera. I think I'll attempt the right hand one at the weekend. How is everyone else doing?

By the way Hecate, your guide to knitting on DPNs was really useful in helping me cast on and divide the stitches etc...Thanks!

Yay! Congratulations!!! I told you it was easier than it looked :P .

Well, I've done.... four rows :( . I had such a big guilt surge about not having knit any baby hats for Fox's campaign that I've been busy doing those instead - I've done three so far, as they're really simple to do.

I think I might be due an evening in front of a DVD with a glass or two of wine, so I reckon I'll make some Fetching progress this evening.