What's the worst job you've ever had?

Residential Care for 15 years.

Two come to mind,

the first was with Coldseal windows when they were at the Barracks. I was going door to door with leaflets it paid £100 p.w for the first two weeks and then it was all commission based, I only stayed for the two weeks.

The second was a YTS at sommerfield on Ecclesall road £50 and the NVQ trainer never turned up to see me getting every crapy job available even though I was supposed to be training on the bakery, the uniform was not up to scratch so I kept getting burned on the arms and hands and the worst management I have worked with ever. In the end I just walked out and left the uniform in the doorway enterance

Me and my mate once did canvassing for some kind of insurance company on Fargate when we were 17. We stuck it for one day as it was so crap!

We did managed to get loads of fit mens phone numbers though so I guess it had it's advantages!!

Originally posted by duffman

Two come to mind,

the first was with Coldseal windows when they were at the Barracks. I was going door to door with leaflets it paid £100 p.w for the first two weeks and then it was all commission based, I only stayed for the two weeks.

The second was a YTS at sommerfield on Ecclesall road £50 and the NVQ trainer never turned up to see me getting every crapy job available even though I was supposed to be training on the bakery, the uniform was not up to scratch so I kept getting burned on the arms and hands and the worst management I have worked with ever. In the end I just walked out and left the uniform in the doorway enterance

Which company were you doing your YTS training through? I had a similar experience of YTS back in 1995 through Roger Worth Training, crap placements, NVQ assessors that never turned up, the works...

In the end I just decided sod it, handed my "notice" in at the placement, and went on a proper NVQ retail course at Loxley College.

I always knew I was too old for "Youth" training anyway, I was 19 at the time for flip sake, I knew I was too old cos the stupid idiot woman called Clare who took the lessons made me feel old in front of the 16/17 year old school leavers who were there.

I used to weigh and measure parcels for 9 hours a day (this was a summer job I hasten to add). I had to commute to Leeds for this.:confused:

Originally posted by Rich

Which company were you doing your YTS training through? I had a similar experience of YTS back in 1995 through Roger Worth Training, crap placements, NVQ assessors that never turned up, the works...

In the end I just decided sod it, handed my "notice" in at the placement, and went on a proper NVQ retail course at Loxley College.

I always knew I was too old for "Youth" training anyway, I was 19 at the time for flip sake, I knew I was too old cos the stupid idiot woman called Clare who took the lessons made me feel old in front of the 16/17 year old school leavers who were there.

I went with Sheffield Trainers Limited, I was put on STL by my school as they thought it was silly of me to go walk out into the big wide world and look for a job without any experience. I will admit it gave me some experience, not to recommend anyone to them. I just ended up doing my NVQ on site at another job.

Had a summer job for a firm that screen printed the designs on buckets. The surfaces had to be heated and then cooled for the screen printoing to work. My job was to put the buckets on a turntable, watch them go around three times as they were heated, and then take them off again. The 4 weeks i did that for lasted about 32 years.

When i was 16 i had a saturday job at a butchers in crystal peaks,man that job sucked. Basically it involed mopping out 2 pretty big fridges.Its was really hard graff and the smell of the blood in the fridges was horrible. Got paid about £15 i think,lasted about 3 months.

Sitting at a conveyer belt for eight hours a day sorting peanuts is mind numbing ! I did this in the Kimberly whilst travelling around Australia in 1989. Fortunately a few English backpackers worked along side me so we broke the boredom by singing songs from the old days. This just beat working as a housemaid at Cable Beach Resort, Broome where at the end of the day my feet were so hot there was a heat haze around them . Quite an adventure though !

I once spent a summer cleaning out seed containers (we lived on a farm). If you can imagine spending 6 hours a day in a massive metal can, with no ventialtion at all in the heat of mid-august, you are probally quite close to what hell might be like. The intense heat (cos it was like an oven in there) and the dust ment my skin and eyes itched like crazy and i developed a chest infection from breathing it all in. What makes it worse is that i was only 13 at the time, got paid £30 a week and it was my own family who put me through this ordeal. I should have sued them for mental and physical distress!! :cry:

Originally posted by Pauly

Worked at Mace's pet shop in Castle Market aged 16 for £1 an hour. £8 for a full day's work. Really crap work and the manager (Mr Mace as he liked to be called) was a smelly old perv who drooled over any young female unfortunate enough to enter the store. I worked there about 6 weeks I think and then just stopped going.

They never called me about it so I got away with that one.

maces always brings back memories of henry the miner bird..:)

You all seem to have bad experiences from summer jobs... Where did you find these jobs? (Not that I want them ofcourse!!!) I just want to know where you found out about summer jobs... I can't find one anywhere :(