What's the worst job you've ever had?

when i first left scool i worked at a place on penistone road..i used to stamp made in sheffield on 3000 chisels a day i used to get 25 quid a week..god i hated that job

Bottle factory between school and college.I worked 6am till 2pm going up and down checking bottles for faults all for £1.88p/h.When the minimum wage came in it closed down.The people were nasty too.I hated it!

I used to make Christmas crackers in a factory in Bradford!

That was a really rubbish job but a constant supply of cheesy jokes!:P

working in an industrial/commercial launderette. we did all the linen for hotels, started at 6am finished at 3pm (i think). I was mostly stuck between 8 industrial sized dryers, waiting for the loads to finish their cycle. once the cycle finished then the doors opened automatically and deposited the load into large wheeled buckets/trolleys. Unless there were no buckets available and then they got deposited onto the floor. Cue much running around and musical 'buckets' under the dryers, trying to catch the loads as they fell out. all in 30 degree heat (and thats centigrade not fahrenheit).

Not content with this 'Bat the Rat' type contest, everyone who has done washing will know that washing gathers static electricity. You try putting red hot, super dry towels into metal cages without zapping yourself with about 20 megawatts of stored static electricity.

I lasted two weeks.

Mine has to be delivering betterware. 2 days hard work made over £500 worth of sales for something like a measley £20odd quid. I quit after a week lol.

Originally posted by kirky

when i first left scool i worked at a place on penistone road..i used to stamp made in sheffield on 3000 chisels a day i used to get 25 quid a week..god i hated that job

I worked all one summer in a mince pie factory. Did you know that the factories work all year to meet the demand at christmas time? I had to pick up the mince pies, one in each hand, as they flew out the machine at 5000 pies per minute and place them on a baking tray for 9 hours a day. I kept getting told off for denting them by picking up three in each hand.

Working in a riveting factory. Yoy may notkno wthis but the process for producing rivets produces the two parts of a rivet. I had to separate the males from the females using a sieve.

It wasn't exactly...ahem...riveting and i lasted only 6 days. In fact the manager apologised for giving me such a boring job and said they were investing in a machine that would do the job.

At school I worked at McDonalds - say no more.

I also spent a year working for Yorkshire Water where I had to go around picking up fire hydrant covers and big iron covers in the road to access meters that I had to read with my laptop.

I used to find all sorts of horrible things under the covers....syringes (didn't touch, just replaced the cover and drove off), hundreds of maggots/worms (ditto), slime and sludge, muddy water, the list goes on. I once got my car stuck in mud at the bottom of a field in resevoir grounds and had to call the RAC to tow me out and even they got stuck! I also had to access covers in the middle of busy roads risking my own life and limb. Nevertheless I survived and am here to tell the tale.

The most tedious job I've had was working for a government organisation for a boss who used to get me to write very long reports that required a lot of research, who would then go through them with a fine toothed comb looking for anything he could query or correct and then when it was completed, he wouldn't do anything with it and it would just sit on his computer. Waste of time.

Guest Pauly

Worked at Mace's pet shop in Castle Market aged 16 for £1 an hour. £8 for a full day's work. Really crap work and the manager (Mr Mace as he liked to be called) was a smelly old perv who drooled over any young female unfortunate enough to enter the store. I worked there about 6 weeks I think and then just stopped going.

They never called me about it so I got away with that one.

some interesting reading! iv'e got no idea how you peeps put up with such crap jobs!!!

i lasted one night at a food making factory (while i was at uni) doing something completely mundane on a conveyor line

the thing that surprised me was that some people there had been doing the same CRAP job for years and years and years and they seemed entirely satisfied with their lot in life :roll:

picking strawberrys in lincolnshire 4 about 20 quid aday in the hand talk about slave labour , 1 days work , bellyfull of strawberries and off.

actually i was a bricklayer apprentice on a YTS for £25 a week (for the first year) - that was pretty crap

apparently, years ago - you had to pay for the priviledge of being a tradesman apprentice