Unofficial Walk Friday 8th September - Details

"official" "unofficial" SF Walking forum walk

Is that now the 'official' politically correct, moderator approved term? :hihi:

An * "O""U"SFWFW * for short...

Mods note: Any questions about the moderating on this group should be passed to the helpdesk, or just stick a post-it note to the back of my head sometime:)

the time scale may put a bit of a damper on my participation.

i'm not allowed out that late.

will have to chew this one over before i commit, don't want to spoil it for anyone on the day.

Well, I wondered with you posting the question if time was an issue for you. It's quite possible that the walk won't take as long as I suggested (tho' I note that no-one has contradicted my guess!), but better to over-estimate than have you worried that you're going to be late for something. :)

Is that now the 'official' politically correct, moderator approved term? :hihi:

An * "O""U"SFWFW * for short...

so we now have to start all our threads with OUSFWFW? Cool!! :banana:

Hello everyone, are you back yet? I thought about you all day, and I've prepared a little something...

I put these under the grill just as I heard you all tramping up the drive.

And while you're eating them, I'll run you this.

Then you can collapse for the evening here.

And have one of these.

While sipping this.

With one of these on your lap.

Or if you prefer, this.

Make the most of it, cos I'll not be doing it again! :hihi:

Fantastic Purdyamos!! Thank you very much.

We've had a brill day, proper account to come when I've opened my wine and put the chicken in the oven

Well then.

Me, Blip, SHsheff, Strix and (all the way from darn' sarth) Kentboy went on this walk today and had a wonderful and (in my case) challenging time.

I got a return train ticket to Edale (£5.55) and met the others in the car park.

The climb (scramble) up Grindsbrook Clough looked daunting from the bottom and I'm not the best with heights but I absolutely loved bounding up the stream bed like a Mountain Goat. I looked behind me once and nearly fainted when I saw the drop so just faced forwards and went for it.

After that we were on open moorland with some of the best rock and boulder formations I've seen in ages.

A pleasant stroll over the moors then a descent down Jacobs Ladder, plus an encounter with some chickens finally saw us in the pub at 5 o'clock for very well deserved pints.

The dogs enjoyed it as well and were knackered at the end. I'm on the wine now with a pleasant feeling of having deserved it.:)

Oh and Strix thought of a couple of very good new signatures :hihi:

Thanks for organising the walk Taxman. It was interesting, with a variety of walking surfaces, gradients and scenery. My favourite section was undoubtedly the scramble uphill alongside the stream, mainly because it was different. And I agree, those boulders are wonderful, Mother Nature got there before Henry Moore! The trek down Jacob’s Ladder is a tad dull.

We were blessed with excellent weather and even better company. It was great to meet Kentboy and his four legged friend for the first time. It was also a pleasure to observe Strix and Beagle in training for the Crufts obedience championships 2007.

SHsheff’s estimate of five to six hours for the walk was pretty damn close. We could probably have done it in about five hours without too much additional effort, but it took about six hours due to some members of the group enjoying the flora and fauna far too much.

For anyone unfamiliar with this length/character of walk, I think a typical able-bodied person of, say, less than 60 years of age, with average fitness and a good pair of boots wouldn’t find it too demanding if the effort was stretched out over six hours or so, but that’s just my opinion.

Purdyamos! You're a genius :thumbsup:

Oh and Strix thought of a couple of very good new signatures :hihi:

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

My going down muscles don't get that much use

I was in Bed with 2 women, and couldn't decide whether they were lesbians

(I feel I should clarify, for the benefit of the uninitiated, that Blip was taking about his knees walking downhill, and SHSheff was talking about the Sheffield nightclub by the name of Bed ;) )

We could probably have done it in about five hours without too much additional effort, but it took about six hours due to some members of the group enjoying the flora and fauna far too much.

How is that possible? :confused:

I did boot up with the intention of sorting my pics out for viewing, but a certain 'messenger friend' pointed me into the forum, and I don't seem to have been able to escape to finish the job :rolleyes:

I've shown Mr Strix the evidence via the TV, and he's well impressed with some of the shots :) Some doctoring will be required for general viewing though ;)

Wow sounds like a fab walk you guys had !

Went for a walk round Rother Valley for my own unofficial walk :P - yesterday I snapped pics of the boats [were 18 on the water] :

http://www.rtapper.plus.com/Sailing%20at%20Rother%20Valley%20Country%20Park/index.html

and today I took pics of people on the Cable Ski - looks kind of painful, especially the first pic here where a kid comes down with a bit of a thump :o

http://www.rtapper.plus.com/Cable%20Ski%20at%20Rother%20Valley%20Country%20Park/index.html

:)

Right - I've managed to stitch together the 360 panoramic view I was experimenting with, but I'm not sure photobucket is doing it justice, so I'll post it anyway, but if anybody knows how I can get it to fill the screen, or a better suited website to upload it to, please tell me :)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e393/SFStrix/SF%20Walk%208SEP06/360/360stitch.jpg

Well its the morning after and as I expected various under-used muscles are aching, but in a good way!!