Tinsley Marshalling Yard - Whats happening with it?

Originally posted by scross

Originally posted by Umeeksk

Yes, they are.

I think the line from Stocksbridge to Sheffield (just after Midland Station) is in use for freight. I suspect the spur going north to Tinsley via Woodbourn Road isn't. North of Stocksbridge, the line is dismantled.

The freight line which goes to stocksbrige is a shadow of the former railway which used to rip through woodhead. It is mostly a single track which wanders along the large track bed. The proposal is to build new track through woodhead. I think they are talking about using a broader european track gage as well. I might be wrong but this is the kind of track in the channel tunnel. So the new Central railway would be able to use the same rollingstock through the tunnel, Right from Liverpool to Brussels.

The Woodhead tunnels are still intact but one side is used for electric power cables. And north of stocksbridge you can walk along trails and see where all the rails used to go, as some of the bridges and railway architecture is still visible, but mostly falling down.

As far as I know, the Central Trains scheme to reopen the Woodhead route and connect the North East with the channel tunnel is on the backburner big time. Central Trains are still trying to convince the government that such a scheme is possible. It is estimated that carrying out the work would cost several BILLION pounds. It would have to be heavily subsidised. Potential problems include reinstating track, electrification, reboring of existing woodhead tunnels to take the continental trains (about 2 feet higher), replacement / repositioning of buildings etc which have been built since Woodhead line was closed. The list could go on. Central Trains have said that even if the work could start in the near future (of which there is not a chance) the first trains wouldn't run until approx 2014. In the current climate of costcutting etc it is my view that this scheme will never get past the drawing board (and has probably been deemed as unfeasible and totally unworkable by the government already).

16 years later...

DB Schenker are currently building a new Container Terminal on the southern bit of the site.

An area of the old marshalling yard was in use as a temporary container terminal before Christmas as the one at Rotherham Masbrough was having some work done.
They'd cleared the cutting below what used to be the depot, put up some generator powered lighting and unloaded containers there.... is that the same area that will be put into use or is it the other end of the yard ?
I do lose my North / South bearings around there.

On 06/04/2021 at 14:49, darylslinn said:

An area of the old marshalling yard was in use as a temporary container terminal before Christmas as the one at Rotherham Masbrough was having some work done.
They'd cleared the cutting below what used to be the depot, put up some generator powered lighting and unloaded containers there.... is that the same area that will be put into use or is it the other end of the yard ?
I do lose my North / South bearings around there.

Yes- the work is being done between Wood Lane and Parkway bridges -which  means the yard will be in Rotherham and the entrance in Sheffield.

The new trackwork is on the Brinsworth side and easily viewed from Marsh Lane bridge (A1 and 74a bus).

There is no longer connection any connection through Catcliffe.

Edited by Annie Bynnol