Interesting Walks for Kids?

Has anyone got any ideas where to go walking where there's plenty for young children (4ish in this case) to look at, climb on, fall off, run round, throw things at, stroke or jump over. At the same time being rewarding for an adult - fresh air, scenery, peace etc.

If you want to be really clever you could suggest somewhere a pram could go too.

Walking through the parks from Hunter's Bar on Ecclesal Road - starting at Endcliffe Park (café, childrens' playground, ponds and streams with ducks n' stuff to throw bread for) up through pleasant woodland via Bingham Park, Wiremill (more duck/fish ponds) ending up at Forge Dam (another café, ice-creams, childrens' playground, pond with ducks etc) and a bus-route back to Hunter's Bar to collect the car.

Or, if you're all feeling energetic, you can carry on up the Porter Valley to the alpaca farm at Ringinglow (another café, at weekends anyway) (and alpacas and lamas to look at and stroke) and catch a bus (less frequent services, I'd check the times before you start) back down to Hunter's Bar where you started.

Lightwood lane, is a lovely walking area for children, take some kids fishing nets and a large jar, there's loads of wildlife in the stream for them to catch and have a look at, then pop them back at the end of your visit.

http://www.gleadless.net/pages/r-lightwd/dscf1202.htm

http://www.gleadless.net/pages/r-lightwd/dscf0801.htm

and you could probably get away with a pram down there!!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=lightwood+lane+sheffield&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=53.33974,-1.442127&spn=0.02178,0.10849&om=1&iwloc=A

Walking through the parks from Hunter's Bar on Ecclesal Road - starting at Endcliffe Park (café, childrens' playground, ponds and streams with ducks n' stuff to throw bread for) up through pleasant woodland via Bingham Park, Wiremill (more duck/fish ponds) ending up at Forge Dam (another café, ice-creams, childrens' playground, pond with ducks etc) and a bus-route back to Hunter's Bar to collect the car.

Or, if you're all feeling energetic, you can carry on up the Porter Valley to the alpaca farm at Ringinglow (another café, at weekends anyway) (and alpacas and lamas to look at and stroke) and catch a bus (less frequent services, I'd check the times before you start) back down to Hunter's Bar where you started.

Might it be better to catch the bus to the top of hill and walk down the hill back to Hunters Bar with the kids etc? Also whats the bus then to the top of the hill?

Might it be better to catch the bus to the top of hill and walk down the hill back to Hunters Bar with the kids etc? Also whats the bus then to the top of the hill?

Um, it's not really a hill as such. It's more like a valley with a series of parks and ponds with a stream (the river Porter, presumably?) running through them, eventually climbing uphill. But yes, certainly catch the bus first if you'd like to!

Forge Dam is a perfectly nice destination venue in its own right, anyway. As far as I know it's the 88 bus to Fulwood. Doubtless someone will correct me if I'm wrong. ;)

Shirebrook valley? and you could pick a day the natue reserve is open, stroke the horses, admire the highland cattle from a distance a little longer than their horns, then make your way to the family room at the angel on sheffield rd :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies, we'll definately be trying out Lightwood Lane, Shirebrook Valley and do some Alpaca stroking soon.

Personally I've always found the walk up through Bingham Park to Forge Dam a bit damp and gloomy.

A lovely walk is past Hazlbarrow Farm norton where they have just bought some Alpacas!!

We like to go up by the ladybower although thats not so easy if you dont have a car.

for the past few weekends we have been going to damflask, we havent yet made it all the way round due to me needing a wee, then next time my lad had new trainers on that gave him a huge blister :( but i live in hope that one day soon we will get all the way round.

and it is beautiful scenery and loads of ducks

Spring lamb season is coming as well!

Sure fire winner with my family!

B