General Cemetery walk and tour-Sunday 17th at 1PM

It's been suggested to me as a member and volunteer of the General Cemetery that I do a walk, or rather tour, of the site, giving information on the history, restoration and residents. This is really to see if people would prefer the Saturday or Sunday. I'll confirm details nearer the time.

This would be an ideal walk for the people who just want to break the ice if they haven't before, or want a more relaxing stroll. Please speak up if that's you!

I look forward to hearing from you all... :)

Either day would be great for me if it was a morning walk. If it was afternoon then I could only do Sunday.

Its a great idea by the way, I sit in my office looking at the cemetary every day but have only been in a few times and have never had a proper tour round.

If it's Saturday I'd need to be finished for 12 (sorry) but if it's Sunday I'm ok for either morning or afternoon, thank you!

Ooo, I'd like to come along to this! Either day is fine for me :)

This sounds bizarre ! Not heard of this before... is this cemetery in use at the moment or is it an old one ? Would it be frowned upon if I brought my camera [i see dead people !]? Is it near a tram stop ?

Am free saturday and sunday by the way :)

Just looked up the General Cemetery on Multimap - it's the one just off of Stalker Lees Road, right? I didn't make the connection when I saw this thread earlier, but my maternal great-grand parents are buried in there (they lived on Denham Road). I have been for a wander around there before, but I'm looking forward to a guided tour even more now! :clap:

This sounds bizarre ! Not heard of this before... is this cemetery in use at the moment or is it an old one ? Would it be frowned upon if I brought my camera [i see dead people !]? Is it near a tram stop ?

Granville Road is probably the nearest stop - but not that near, mind you walked 13 miles a bit ago I'm sure you could manage.

Not at all frowned upon to bring your camera, Grissom. I know some people can be a bit freaked out at this sort of thing, but there's no need to be. The cemetery took its last burial in 1978, though most of its business was before the second world war, and largely during the Victorian years. You needn't feel worried about seeming 'irreverent' at all - I'll show you why when we are there! It has several listed architectural structures and monuments, is of interesting social historical importance, and as a semi-wild site is a beautiful landscape and a nature reserve to boot. Many people just use the cemetery like a park. The council bulldozed half of it a quarter-century ago, so nothing comes close to sacrilege compared to that!

As regards tram stops, you may find it easier to get the tram into the city centre then get an 81, 82, 87 or 88 along Ecclesall Road, to the stop before Tesco, then taking the turning for Cemetery Avenue.

The meeting place will be the gatehouse at the end of Cemetery Avenue. That's the building with an archway in it, over the River Porter. Time and day to be confirmed later. :)

Me please!! Heard about this last night, so I nearly missed it. :rolleyes:

As there seems to be a lot of interest in Purdyamos' General Cemetery tour, does anyone fancy combining this with a not-too strenous walk? My only stipulation is that it must feature a tea-shop at some point along the route!

Any suggestions for a destination?

Well its not too big a step from the Cemetary to Endcliffe Park which is always good for a stroll

That sounds a very good idea. Though I don't know how the coolsters who run the refreshment places along Ecclesall Road would like to be called 'tea shops'! Their street cred might get bruised. :hihi: