Broomhill Residents Parking Scheme - Success?

If you promise you will enforce drop offs at the High School you will get a vast amount of traffic off the road, which is a good thing.

However if the parents doing drops here just persist in parking in the middle of the road whilst getting their kids out then it will remain gridlock, this will spill onto the main arterials and you wont have removed any vehicles from the streets.

What are your plans for those parents who just stop in the middle of the road, not in a residents bay, but causing an obstruction to other traffic?

Please tell

Deepak

As Planner1 said on a previous thread (located here), obstructions are the remit of the Police, not traffic wardens.

Which means, if you simply stop in the midle of the road, the wardens can't give you a ticket, they would have to get the police to come & move you (which could take up to a hour):hihi:

Didn't go there today but I'm fully expecting to find tomorrow that the road where I normally park, which is right on the periphery of the zone and normally has loads of free spaces all day, will now be full up with people displaced from the other roads. Cheers then council. Where there was once harmony let us bring forth inconvenience and so on.

If people obstruct the highway, it's obstruction and thus a matter for the Police. The Council has no powers to enforce this..

So why have you wasted so much time? If you stop people parking but can't stop them from just sitting in the middle of the road to let their kids out, you've made the situation WORSE, not better.

Any plans to actually have the police maintain a presence there so that people can't do this?

Didn't go there today but I'm fully expecting to find tomorrow that the road where I normally park, which is right on the periphery of the zone and normally has loads of free spaces all day, will now be full up with people displaced from the other roads. Cheers then council. Where there was once harmony let us bring forth inconvenience and so on.

Explain to me why it's better for the city as a whole, if the road YOU park in has spaces, but the roads you don't care about are clogged to hell and gone.

Can you clarfify where blue badge holders can park please? We've had one all day in a limited stay bay.

"If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch." :huh:

I hadn't realised it had gone 'live'. Glad I moved away from the area. Resident's parking schemes benefit only the council coffers. Certainly not the residents themselves.

Explain to me why it's better for the city as a whole, if the road YOU park in has spaces, but the roads you don't care about are clogged to hell and gone.

Explain to me why it's better for the city as a whole if nobody can park anywhere all day even if they need to.

So why have you wasted so much time? If you stop people parking but can't stop them from just sitting in the middle of the road to let their kids out, you've made the situation WORSE, not better.

Any plans to actually have the police maintain a presence there so that people can't do this?

Why do people think that drivers will suddenly begin to stop in the middle of the road? I've observed the school run in Broomhill on many ocasions an this hasn't been a particular problem. We don't anticipate any such problem so haven't asked for Police assistance. We can speak to them if any problems are observed that they need to deal with.

My observations in the area today indicate that there are more available parking spaces than normal. If that remains the case, the parents shouldn't have as much trouble trying to find somewhere sensible to park. We normally advise parents to park a little way from the school and walk the rest of the way.

Can you clarfify where blue badge holders can park please? We've had one all day in a limited stay bay.

I think it is important to state, however, that while blue badge holders are allowed to stay in a limited time bay without time limit, they CANNOT park in 'residents permit holders' only bays, even for the 3 hours that a blue badge will allow on double yellow lines. This was confirmed for me by the traffic warden on the Broomhall/Collegiate scheme when it came into effect.

So as a blue badge holder, parking is either in a limited time bay, showing blue badge with no time limit, or on a double yellow line (outside of any hours of clearway operation and not in a position to cause an obstruction to other traffic or blocking anything like a dropped kerbs or driveways) for up to 3 hours.

well my youngest attends a nursery within the schemes boundrys I pick him up and drop him off on foot most days, but three mornings a week the other half drops him off it's a 60 second affair if that. so would I be right in assuming that this 60 second drop off will cost him 20p to park?.

The nursery staff were unsure on the councill's view on dropping off the kiddies but I got the impression that they were hoping allowences would be made for collection and drop off.. where does the councill stand on that? It make's no odds to me really it's only 60p a week but I get the feeling that somthing like this could effect the number of people willing to place their children with the nursery.

Not really good for a council who are trying to encorage parents back to work then make dropping off and collecting your children as difficult as possible. I also feel restricing the number of permits for the staff is equally unfair, as at the end of the day it's a childcare facillity a much needed one for working parents such as myself. But the councill in it's wisdom seem to be doing there best to cripple it.

I believe you're referring to Puffin crossings, the ones with the indicators on the near side? This is the new type of crossing that the Government tells us to use.

Yes, I know, they're appallingly badly "designed". Most people press the button then step forward ready to cross when using a crossing. The new crossings have a small visible indicator which is now behind you when you do this. Even if you step back it takes just one person to block the view of the light. I now do the same as everyone else - step even further forward so I can see the traffic lights - much safer! The lights also stay at red so long after people have finished crossing that some drivers have started to go through the lights when they are still red...

Again, regarding the tactile paving, the Government tells us we should use it to let blind / partially sighted people know they are at a crossing point.

Yes, they'll know they are at a crossing point because (if it's raining or icy) they'll be flat on their back at the side of the road. Recently I was walking with a friend who almost slipped out into the path of a car in this way.

I've seen the same things appearing in other cities so know that it is not specific to Sheffield, but felt I had to post an off-topic vent about this - sorry about that.

Back to the Broomhill parking discussions...

well my youngest attends a nursery within the schemes boundrys I pick him up and drop him off on foot most days, but three mornings a week the other half drops him off it's a 60 second affair if that. so would I be right in assuming that this 60 second drop off will cost him 20p to park?.

The nursery staff were unsure on the councill's view on dropping off the kiddies but I got the impression that they were hoping allowences would be made for collection and drop off..

At the risk of being flamed then why should allowances be made?

If you stop in the zone and leave your car you need to pay and display

I hope the councill are going to enforce this

I must add that I am completely against this scheme but if it is going ahead then it must be run properly or else whats the point?

Why do people think that drivers will suddenly begin to stop in the middle of the road?

For a number of reasons actually

First off thats what my neighbour says she will do, if she cannot get a parking place to let the kids off she will just stop in the road, get out of the car, let them out of their safety seats, gather them on the pavement, open the boot, get their school bags out, give them a kiss then direct them towards school

Multiply this by a thousand and you have a big log jam spreading back out onto Clarkehouse Road

My own experience of commuting around this area is of big cars containing one parent and a single child stopping in unsuitable places (including the pavements)to disembark thus the precedent is set.

you must have observed on a good day if you saw no bad driving

I find this area of the city to be polluted by many badly, selfishly driven cars

To expect them all to vanish is naive

Its a pity your wardens cannot touch them for parking and disembarking illegally on the roads and footpaths

I anticipate Clarkehouse Road becoming even more of a gridlock

For years I am sick of 4x4's parked on the pavements here - your scheme does not make me that relaxed

The test of course will be tomorrow at 830 and 1530h

Deepak