How to keep cats away from my garden?

I have one of these in my garden and it definately works.. My first one broke a while back and I noticed cat poo started to appear in my garden again so I ordered a new one and it has stopped again...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-X-SONIC-CAT-DOG-FOX-DETERRENT-REPELLER-SCARER-/330275988444?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item4ce5fba3dc

Maybe giving the cat something to play with, used to a an old cotton ball, but now the shops are coming up with all types of playthings for the cat to torture as a prey

I hung cd's around the garden and they worked for a bit but now I've resorted to the pump action water pistol.

Unfortunately I can't be around all the time and tonight I came home to find Collared Dove feathers scattered all over the garden. The cat owner next door is the sort of chav who empties her ashtray straight from her bedroom window into her garden and isn't the sort who would happily agree to put collars and bells on her un-neutered, flea ridden mogs.

Collared Doves mate for life, so somewhere there is a sad and lonely birdie tonight :mad::(

There is a plant that is being marketed. I am desperately trying to remember the name - but is a naturaly occurring deterent.

I will try and find something on it for you. It was in the News Of The World last year.

Other than that - they do not like anything Citrus.

Moon Maide

Coleus Canina

I bought some "Silent Roar" for £8 yesterday on the recommendation of our local garden centre...

"The stuff you get at B&Q won't work....Silent Roar is the only thing that does works....Don't take our word for it, Customers keep coming back and buying more..."

THE RESULT? tonight I have fresh cat <removed> on the herb garden.

:rant:

Edited by Andy
Language!

Mod note!

Posts promoting cruelty and discussing ways of harming an animal are unacceptable and will not be tolerated on this forum.

I use ground pepper bought in large quantities from the Chinese supermarket about 80p a 100g bag. It seems to be working well and I'm planting marigolds too - cats hate them.

Hope this helps

MOD NOTE !

any offensive posts will be deleted and the person responsible will be banned

there are harmless ways to keep cats out of your garden like planting coleus canina

By Cait Johnson, Assistant Producer, Healthy Living Channels

We love our next-door neighbour's, but I think she’s trying to tell us something: She put moth balls all along the line between your yards, I guess to keep our kitties out of her garden. But moth balls are toxic!

Here are several easy, safe, and effective ways to deter cats from using your neighbour's garden as a litter box, but, unlike moth balls, they don’t pose a health hazard to cats or humans. Or, heck, you could do what my boss suggested and try releasing a whole herd of gophers or mice. Then your kitties will be the guests of honour! (Just kidding!)

1. There are many herbs that cats don’t like to be around, including lavender, rue, geranium, absinthe, and lemon-thyme. Also, a German professional gardener, Dieter Stegmaier of Essingen, has created a hybrid so repulsive to cats, they stay a yard away from it. It smells like schnapps to us, and is actually a pretty and hardy plant with blue flowers that bloom throughout most of the summer. Its Latin name is Coleus canina. You can order it through various mail order services

2. This mixture is easy to make and can be used anywhere you want to repel cats

2 parts cayenne pepper

3 parts dry mustard

5 parts flour

Simply mix together and sprinkle.

3. Use large flat river stones in your garden beds to make the soil less diggable, and so less attractive to cats. Besides, river stones are pretty. You can also use them in houseplant pots to keep the furry little darlings out of those.

4. Cats don’t like tea leaves, so empty your used ones onto the garden soil.

5. You could also try using a sprinkler that is activated by a motion-sensor. All it takes is a time or two of getting dowsed with water to deter any cat. It can work for intruders, too.

This is a really simple one to solve - get your own cat - especially as you already like them. :thumbsup:

My neighbours cats are digging holes in my lawn to deposit their waste. They do not attempt to cover it up and in the summer the smell is disgusting. I dont really want to get a cat as it would be for all the wrong reasons. Sonic repellants dont seem to work and covering the lawn with lemon peell is not something I would like.

tezjo I would just like to once again point people in the direction of posts 139 and 140, I really do not wish to keep repeating myself, do not repost!

My father in law has a device that gives out a very high pitched noise that cannot be heard by most humans, but can be heard by cats. I understand the sound is painful for cats. Works for him!!!