Rowlinson School 1976-81

The headmaster in my day was (smiler) Dixon. He was there years from what I'm told.

Other things I remember: Skating at Silver Blades, but I got lost driving past Silver Blades the other day. What on earth has happened going towards town from the skating rink?

There was a rock group on in the Drama Theatre one night in about 1973. Anyone remember who they were? (there's a test for you)

Hearing "John I'm only Dancing" in the Youth club. Listening to David Bowie's "life on mars" for the first time at what must now be Sutton Scotney services (when the motorway was brand new) at a coach stop on the way to St Luniere for the French Trip! I've been to that part of France many times since.

Other things I remember: Skating at Silver Blades, but I got lost driving past Silver Blades the other day. What on earth has happened going towards town from the skating rink?

There was a rock group on in the Drama Theatre one night in about 1973. Anyone remember who they were? (there's a test for you)

Hearing "John I'm only Dancing" in the Youth club. Listening to David Bowie's "life on mars" for the first time at what must now be Sutton Scotney services (when the motorway was brand new) at a coach stop on the way to St Luniere for the French Trip! I've been to that part of France many times since.

in the rock band in 1974 i remember david stunnell [bruno] singing. robert gray on the guitar can anyone remember the others. bruno married barbera chambers.

I went to Rowlinson 6th Form in 1974 to do A levels. before that I went to Jordanthorpe Comprehensive (across the road). People I remember are Diane, Julia, Steve, & Russell (am I supposed to show surnames?). I also used to go to Youth Club in same complex.

Hi Fiona, just seen your contribution from last year so I joined the forum. If you still log in please contact via forum, Di xx PS I'm still with Steve!

I was at Rolo 1977-82

Used to fancy Miss Clark, the cockney french teacher with the 'curvy' behind.

I went to Rowlinson during these years - Hazlebarrow before - I was in G form at Rowlinson had Chris Anderson as form tutor all way through 76 - 81.

you must have been in same class as leigh taylor,helen kirk then???

:huh: Susan Oliver,Linda Furniss,errr,Michelle Hibbard,no it can't be her she's not a woodseats gal. I'm presuming you're a girl?

Lindsay Weston,Ruth Westby...narhh...

Chewy..mm..Chewy Aha! were you in Star Wars? Chewybacca :hihi:

No none the wiser :help: :help: :help: more clues please. I've still got Teeny to deduce yet. Is Teeny short for Tina could it be the one and ony Miss Marconi?

oh the names are flooding back what about Maureen Morgan, i loved her she was so funny.

susan oliver,ruth westby,chris brady,all in my ex- girlfriends class,i went to chaucer,but met all the named at rowlinson.

okismoki I was in G form 76 - 81 with Leigh Taylor & Helen Kirk and the others u mentioned [infact i am 1 of the names u mentioned] give us a clue who you are pm if you like

Hmmmm……..

Well, where to start. I went to Rowlinson from 1968 to 1975 and so witnessed at first hand the transition from Technical school to Comprehensive school. I was in fact a member of (Pengy) Parnham's first ever form class, and in answer to a prior post, no he didn't have a mean streak then, he was a good form teacher.

When I first started there the school was well disciplined, had a good reputation and a long and respected tradition. When it went comprehensive all we saw at first were *Girls* even though two years younger they were fascinating. However girls aside, the changes that becoming a comprehensive brought over the next few years were not beneficial. The school became too big, the intake was more inclined to cause trouble, standards fell, and traditions were cast aside.

Here I feel I must make a humble apology to all the later years that had to wear the lurid gold tie that replaced the classy Rowlinson tie. I designed it. I’m sorry, it was an art lesson, and I thought I was being humorous. Fortunately I didn’t sign the drawing and managed to keep quiet about my involvement.

Now a few iconoclastic stories. Lets start with the English dept. Dave Dawson was an excellent teacher, but too full of himself. He was the one who had a bona fide "mean streak" in him. From the posts he appears to have mellowed over the years, but I don't suppose he ever apologised to the students he accosted with a sword, a fact he is lucky not to have been prosecuted for it. There was another English teacher who used to throw things (chalk, board rubbers, chairs, etc) at pupils.

Fred Rowley (?) in the Music dept on the other hand used to throw money at pupils who played to his satisfaction. He was clinically insane though.

The language department was the place for a good scandal. One of the female German teachers was moved to Rowlinson after being caught "in flagrante" in a cloakroom. I can personally vouch that she taught class "sans lingerie" on occasion. I do agree that Mr Seaton (French) was very dodgy and vain too. He got thumped as I recall, and the pupil got away with it because Seaton was hitting him on the head with a book.

There were three Rock bands played at Rowlinson around 73/74. The first was a semi-pro outfit whose bass player was in the 6th form. The others were school bands more or less. If Robert Gray was “The Swede” my apologies for not remembering his name, a fine guitarist, even if he wouldn’t let people have a go on his new Strat. Does anybody know how he fared?

Just for the record i am not Tina Marconi!!! but you probably knew me !

I was at Rowlinson from 77 - 82. I do look back with a lot of fond memories of my days there. I agree with one of the earlier messages though, looking back, as I kid the school was a great place to be. The sport, the characters, the youth club etc all were great. But as an educational establishment it was poor, to say the least. Some of the teachers were fine, but I don’t think I gained anything from most them. I was in form “M” We had Mrs Kay for the first 3 or 4 years then we had Mr Wood to finish. They were both good form teachers. I am struggling to remember all the teachers. All the sports teachers frightened me at the time, probably because for the first few years I was rubbish at sport. The last couple of years I made more of an effort and suddenly I started to do well, mainly in athletics, and all of a sudden I had a few more friends! We had Mr Anderson for science I think but unfortunately he had no control over the class, which was a shame because he was OK. I vaguely remember Trogg in Geography. I remember Mr Dawson throwing the board rubber at a girl in our English class and shouting some over the top obscenity at her, for no reason. I also just about remember a loony called Mr Goodhand who used to squeeze the hands of any poor sole that he decided to embarrasse that day, I remember some of them I tears. If anyone out there was in the same year write in and share your memories and renew some of my memories.

I never was personally taught by Mr. Seaton, but in addition to his vile and dubious reputation preceding him, I had a few off-chance run-ins with him out of classtime, not a pleasant or polite character...should've knocked his block off!

I understand that many of our teachers have since died (Mr. Barber- Woodwork; Mrs. Pickering- English; Stokes- Games?)

Dunno where Miss Clark is though? :hihi: