Rowlinson School 1976-81

Hello, one & all. I was at Rowlinson from '75 to '80, though if i could meet up with myself back then i might have to seriously re-educate him. Me. That, or just give meself a slap. Anyway, i was in, i think, form G, with Mr. Field, possibly (excuse the early-onset dementia), later on. I recall various names, Peter Linton, Pete Greaves (Egg), Carol Turner, Caroline Taylor, Paul Cooper & David Walker, among others. Who's out there?

Hi All,

Was anyone on here taught Science by Dr/Mr David Ellis in the late 70's?

To jog your memory he was a Blades fan and was mad about rock climbing.

He would have been a young teacher then as Rowlinson was his first school out of Leeds Uni.

He is retiring this year after almost 40 years in teaching and we (his kids) are trying to get in touch with old teachers/students.

Rowlinson is proving tricky as it was a long time ago.

Trying to forget Rowlinson!

Edited by bofa

I Heard Paul Marshall was involved too but not sure if that is true or not.

we left Batemoor when I was 18, not long after they started moving all the druggies in and it went down hill from there, council are great don't ya think.

Yes Paul marshall was involved the lad they killed was my nephew Marshall has since died due to drugs I believe

On 07/01/2013 at 20:45, rambler said:

i was there from 74 to 79.. form D,, Mr dobson form teacher in the TD area.. from year 3 i believe,,,

I was there in form K

Went to G.V.  74-78 , but often went to Rowlinson baths at weekends ect  - remember the full size skeleton down one of the corridors just stood ! - also went one Sat 80-81? when BBC Swap Shop did live broadcast on fields - Maggie Filbin ect !

I went to day school there as an apprentice electrician in the 50's  I forget where it was, can somebody please give me the actual location?

TIA

On 06/03/2009 at 15:26, AntoniaKelly said:

My name is Antonia Kelly, nee Stokes, and I'm Janice Hambling's daughter. I was just Googling my Mum's name and was surprised to see this, and just wanted to let you know how much it made me smile hearing her spoken of like this :) She absolutely loved teaching. She was 46 when she passed, it'll be ten years this March.

Just wanted to say how nice that was for me, I don't really remember our life in Sheffield or her as a teacher there.

Hey Antonia,

Janice Hambling was my English teacher while I was at Rowlinson. She was one of the best teachers I have ever had, and helped me pass what was by far my most successful exam subject at that school. You can be really proud. 

For what it's worth, here's what and who I recall from the period 1965 to 1971 at Rowlinson Technical School (spellings may not be 100% accurate):

Houses:  Chantry (green), Osbourne (red), Huntsman (blue), Ruskin (yellow)

Some Staff:  Mr. Kay (headmaster),  Mr. Dixon ('new' headmaster), Mr. Williams (head of 6th form),  Mr. Dolbin (chemistry),  Mr. Parnham (physics),  Mr. Holt (physics),  Mr. Nicholl (physics),  Mr. Ellis (french),  Ms. Snell (german),  Mr. Roley (music),  Mr. Dawson (drama),   Mr. Burke (mathematics),  Mr. Kurley (mathematics),  Mr. Mee (mathematics),  Mr. Hurst (wood/metalwork?),  Mr. Ibbotson (PE),  Mr. Benskin (geography),  Mr. Holmes (art),  Mr. Reddish (religious indoctrination).

Some Students:  Kevin Loosemore,  Kevin Marsden,  Robert Jones,  Noel Hinchley,  Richard Lambert,  Terry Gribbons,  Mark Bradley,  Anna MacCarthy,   Mary MacCarthy,  John Vickers,  Michael "Sam" Watts

p.s.  nostalgia isn't dead, it's just a thing of the past.

Edited by C'est Moi