I have just put kobe beef on my menu for you to try

feel very proud to be serving such an extravagance in my restaurant john farrar head chef at 23

Seared Fillet of Kobe Beef

Oriental fusion, beef shin dim sum

and spiced beef tea £38.00

As part or our aim to source the freshest

and best possible ingredients at 23, we now include on our menu what is considered to be some of the best beef in the world. Kobe beef is a special grade of beef from (Wagyu) cattle raised in Kobe, Japan. These cattle are massaged with sake and are fed a daily diet that includes large amounts of beer. This produces meat that is extraordinarily tender, finely marbled, and full-flavoured. It is also extremely per pound. Today they are raised on only 262 small farms, most of which pasture fewer than five cows, and the largest of which run only 10 to 15 animals.

I came across another thread which you briefly mentioned about Kobe beef. Well done for introducing Kobe beef into Sheffield ! I think you're making history here. :thumbsup:

Though, I am curious to one thing. Is it sourced from Japan, or the US ?

"Seared Fillet of Kobe Beef Oriental fusion, beef shin dim sum and spiced beef tea £38.00"

It sounds like heavy spices are used, which would be a great shame, if that is the case. I almost fell of my chair. :hihi:

Is Kobe beef the new lamb shank ?

my mouth is watering at the thought of beer fed sake massaged beef

what is kobe beef? i love beef.

what is kobe beef? i love beef.

Kobe beef ( pronounced Kow-bay ) is beef taken from the Wagyu cattle, farmed originally in and around Kobe, Japan.

The cattle are treated in a highly secretive and also highly speculated way throughout their lives, leading up to slaughter.

They are pretty inactive couch potatoes, who have regular massages using sake and while listening to classical musical. They are also fed, amongst other things, japanese beer.

They are a pretty happy, sedentary group of cattle producing an extremely tender well marbled meat - a delicacy and VERY expensive.

This will be one bunch of happy cows!

:)

I've not tried Kobe Beef - maybe I need to do something about that.

For £38 I'd expect the whole herd....

if you saw what they charged in the west end of london you would want the farm as well

I think for 38, it is kind of cheap. Actually, it's too cheap ! lol...

Though, there are ranges of Kobe beef type, I'm sure. Some Wagyu cattle are now farmed in the US. So hence, why it's gotten more popular, and kind of made its way now into the UK.

Japan is very strict on their food. Some high quality rice, or cattles do not get exported out of the country ! That's what I heard anyway... maybe it's due to import regulations of other countries or something.

I can't remember how they cook Kobe beef in Japan, but to fry and heavily marinade it with seasoning is kind of wasting the quality ingredient. I think a steak tartare or to cook it medium rare with little oil would be delicious. Especially if it has its own fatty bits.

What restaurant is this?!

the ones that serve kobe beef no one restrurant in particuler it was meant as a generalistion