Why can't I like Poetry ?

I cant for the life of me like poetry.I cant see the point of it.I didnt like it at school,I dont like reading it,and I dont like writing it.Been watching some t.v.programmes on John Betjamin,but I dont like his poetry either.Cant see what the fuss is about,even though he was The Poet Lauriet.The only poet that touches me slightly is Wordsworth.I think the modern songwriters are more poetical,than poets.Irving Berlin,Rodgers & Hammerstein ,Sammy Cann,The Beatles, Elton John.Even Barrie Manilow can write poetical lyrics,quote: Music was my first love,and it will be my last

Music of the future, Music of the past.

Now that I understand. :)

I cant for the life of me like poetry.I cant see the point of it.I didnt like it at school,I dont like reading it,and I dont like writing it.Been watching some t.v.programmes on John Betjamin,but I dont like his poetry either.Cant see what the fuss is about,even though he was The Poet Lauriet.The only poet that touches me slightly is Wordsworth.I think the modern songwriters are more poetical,than poets.Irving Berlin,Rodgers & Hammerstein ,Sammy Cann,The Beatles, Elton John.Even Barrie Manilow can write poetical lyrics,quote: Music was my first love,and it will be my last

Music of the future, Music of the past.

Now that I understand. :)

You just haven't found the poetry that works for you yet pattricia. Don't give up, there's some outstandingly beautiful stuff out there.

I like some poetry, but I know what you mean. Some of it I just don't 'get'. :)

Some I do like :

WB Yeats - "The Second Coming", "An Irish Airman foresees his death"

John Masefield - "Sea Fever"

Thomas Hardy - "Drummer Hodge", "The Man he Killed", "Beeny Cliff"

Dylan Thomas "Do not go quiet in to the night"

Henry reed - "The naming of parts"

Christina Rosetti -"Remember"

Rupert Brooke - "The Old Vicarage, Grantchester"

Ok...I probably like poetry more than I think. :)

Joe, I love 'An Irish airman foresees his death' and also Reed's 'Naming of parts'. Top stuff.

Do you know any Carol-Ann Duffy? She writes exquisitely about human emotion and sexuality.

Joe, I love 'An Irish airman foresees his death' and also Reed's 'Naming of parts'. Top stuff.

Do you know any Carol-Ann Duffy? She writes exquisitely about human emotion and sexuality.

I've heard the name but not read any of her stuff.

I came across 'An Irish airman...' after I first read 'The Second Coming' and grabbed a book of Yeats. I seem to remember it was used in the film 'Memphis Belle' as well. A great poem.

Well I will try & find books on these poets in the library,and see if I can see what you & Joe mean. :thumbsup:

Sylvia Plath, TS Eliot, E.A Poe, John Cooper Clarke...

I'm not a massive fan of poetry, but there is some great stuff out there.

But thats Poetry as well isn't it.:confused::cool:

Yes, but poetry in motion.Big difference to me when its combined with music.

lots of regular poetry has its own rhythm and motion, depending on its style, the writer and the reader.

The main difference to me when they're written down is that 'regular' poetry won't have the repeated lines and words that are commonplace in song lyrics, or any 'chorus'.

if you were reading something i'd written, but could only do so by 'attaching it' to a particular tune, I wouldn't have a problem with it if it meant you could enjoy what I'd written.

Come to that, small amounts of my meagre writing have been effectively re-written lyrics to existing songs and tunes