Stand together campaign - How we can beat the yobs

A we really being held to ransom by the youth of the city?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. A we really being held to ransom by the youth of the city?

• Yes - they are thugs who need borstal/boot camp
    • No - its a minority issue which is being blamed on all young people
    • They are bored, we need more FREE youth activities
    • Other - see below

I recently had my car totally trashed by a gang of about 20 youths aged around 14 - 18. 2 policemen attended and their car even had stones thrown at it. The police told us to stay indoors, and when I told them to check their records to see that this behaviour was regular, they told me to move out fast.The next morning my car was left a wreck -smashed windows,seats & tyres slashed etc.My insurance was 3rd party fire & theft, so they wouldn't pay.Result - I got £20 scrap value. Consequently I moved house. I'd love to know why the parents of these youths did not seem to know or care what their kids got up to at night. In case you are wondering, I have brought up 3 children who are now adults - never angels, but certainly would never dream of wilfully damaging peoples' property.I say if the parents can't look after or control their kids- make them pay for the damage caused.

shelby46, this must have been a horrible experience, hope things are better in your new home! I can't believe the people who say the parents have no responsibility - who else should be ensuring children and young people know how to behave! Of course teens get bored, but thats no excuse for criminal behaviour.

While im impressed with the attempts to understand the kids anti-social behaviour im a bit confused about the way nobody adresses the way in which it humiliates the rest of society. I sat on a bus not a long time ago and watched the whole bus load of passengers have pieces of paper flicked at them, nobody did a thing. I cant believe that the people on this thread have not walked down roads and have kids throwing stuff at them and saying the most disgusting things its possible to imagine and not felt frustrated that they arent able to say or do anything in response. I do think that these kids need help, but i also think that people cant rely on the government to solve all problems for them, and sitting and being humiliated by anti-social kids isnt acceptable. You need to be able to stand up and say something and not rely on some anti-social helpline to come and sort things out for you. I would like to add that i dont think its the parents fault, as many people have said kids have been acting like this for ages i was a proper nigthmare myself, but i think the lines have been pulled back in the name of liberallism so far that we all have to endure humiliation.

If you do say anything they will often just laugh and ignore you. What then? If you do anything more than say something (like physically remove them off the bus for example) many peoples perception (rightly or wrongly) is they will get prosecuted and the kids will have nothing done about their behaviour. So nothing gets done about it.

I recently had my car totally trashed by a gang of about 20 youths aged around 14 - 18. 2 policemen attended and their car even had stones thrown at it. The police told us to stay indoors, and when I told them to check their records to see that this behaviour was regular, they told me to move out fast.The next morning my car was left a wreck -smashed windows,seats & tyres slashed etc.My insurance was 3rd party fire & theft, so they wouldn't pay.Result - I got £20 scrap value. Consequently I moved house. I'd love to know why the parents of these youths did not seem to know or care what their kids got up to at night. In case you are wondering, I have brought up 3 children who are now adults - never angels, but certainly would never dream of wilfully damaging peoples' property.I say if the parents can't look after or control their kids- make them pay for the damage caused.

Whats the point of the police if their solution is for the victim to move house? Heres a radical idea - how about they lock these thugs up so they can stop commiting crimes! Something is horribly wrong if the police are really saying they can do nothing. For goodness sakes the kids threw stones at the policemans car - surely they can get them for this? If they cant we need new laws to deal with this so in future the perpatrators can be imprisoned.

Although I am a supporter of the need for additional youth facilties, activities, I agree that for some young people drastic action is needed, i.e. a shrink or someone. With some young people, they need to be sat down and asked 'what is wrong with you!' Throwing stones at a police car shows that there are more than a couple of sandwhiches short of a picnic. Unfortunately the problems are often family, area related.

Responding to Nightriders comments on my post. I think that objecting to the anti-social kids behaviour every time they do it would give them the feeling that they cant do what ever they want without a comeback. I have on quite a few occasions stood up to anti-social kids and had members of the public spring to there defence. A friend of mine was on a bus and a few kids got behined the wheel of the bus when the driver got off for a second, he was shouted down when he objected to them driving the bus off. Again im not advocating any type of vigilante behaviour but i am advocating objecting when they behave badly and perhaps supporting each other when we do it.

I totally support this campaign. As for the trem 'hoody' I don't give a damn what they wear. What I do give a damn about is : grafitti, vandalism, tresspassing, intimidating behaviour (such as shouting comments at people when they walk past, bumping into people on purpose and nearly knocking people over, drug dealing), playground type noises at 2AM, noisy off road motor bikes going up and down the same stretch of path constatly all day, balls being kicked at peoples houses in a repetitive pattern for hours on end and there's also the times when innocent members of the public have been attacked for trying to move yobs on.

Teenagers sitting and chatting amongst themselves is not the same thing as this. And the people who try to justify yobbish behaviour by trying to say we are attacking innocent young people for sitting down and having a chat are as bad as the people they verbally attack for saying all young people are the same. They are not, but it doesn't mean that we should sit back and let our lives be taken over by those who are responsible for this kind of behaviour.

And another thing, yobs are not just kids, I've seen some very sad individuals who are in their twenties riding around on mini motors and I've seen people who look like they are in their 30s hanging around street corners of an evening screaming and shouting and chasing each other round like little kids.:loopy:

I totally support this campaign. As for the trem 'hoody' I don't give a damn what they wear. What I do give a damn about is : grafitti, vandalism, tresspassing, intimidating behaviour (such as shouting comments at people when they walk past, bumping into people on purpose and nearly knocking people over, drug dealing), playground type noises at 2AM, noisy off road motor bikes going up and down the same stretch of path constatly all day, balls being kicked at peoples houses in a repetitive pattern for hours on end and there's also the times when innocent members of the public have been attacked for trying to move yobs on.

Teenagers sitting and chatting amongst themselves is not the same thing as this. And the people who try to justify yobbish behaviour by trying to say we are attacking innocent young people for sitting down and having a chat are as bad as the people they verbally attack for saying all young people are the same. They are not, but it doesn't mean that we should sit back and let our lives be taken over by those who are responsible for this kind of behaviour.

And another thing, yobs are not just kids, I've seen some very sad individuals who are in their twenties riding around on mini motors and I've seen people who look like they are in their 30s hanging around street corners of an evening screaming and shouting and chasing each other round like little kids.:loopy:

Sorry about my spelling

You've just described the place i used to live (Adlington Crescent on Parson Cross).

We can beat the yobs with baseball bats, golf clubs etc. That would rid the parasites off some of the estates :D

Many parents are at fault. They either dont care or are blind to what goes off. Also the police need to hit them hard when they are young but generally a ticking off is all they get.

What youwhatref says is basicaly the problem, he/she makes a flipant comment about beating up the trouble causers(which he/she dosnt intend to do) then calls on the police to solve the problem. youwhatref then goes on to blame the parents, another knee jerk response. I am sure there are many parents pulling there hair out over unruly children, but victimising them while there children feel they can act without any care for the law is like saying 'hey the kids have no responsibility for there actions lets blame the parents'

The police, as can be seen, are either unwilling or unable to solve the problem and people need to stand against the thugs to at least show them that there is resistance to them.

Again i am not advocating violence of any kind

Im 15yrs old, and have never done anything 'yobbish'

(cool word i just made up :hihi:).

I live on the Lower Manor and time and time again have had cars broken into of family friends of my mum, my mums car, and my dads car about 4 times!

I hate living here, and me and mum are trying to move at the moment to somewhere that doesnt have as much crime and as many groups/yobs.

My reply to this debate: 'how can we beat the yobs' is this:

There is no way. Its just going to get worse and worse.

The world has been ruined and theres no going back from it