Big Charities...are they a rip-off?

I know that the subject of both giving cash to and supporting by giving "free time" to the lesser "local" charities has been raised several times on this Forum.

I have no problem with the concept of lesser "local" charities. They attract the very best of people in our own communities, and these local people unselfishly work to promote local good causes.

I do have a problem with the "big" charities operating nationwide and worldwide however.

By "big" charities, I mean the "professional" ones we see advertised on TV, billboards, in the newspapers and elsewhere and are in effect very big businesses, with some very highly paid "executives" and staff in charge of the operation.

Does the money you give, or the unpaid time you offer in supporting big charities reflect value for your money and efforts by the time the results of your kindness reaches the "object" of your sacrifice......the underprivileged people both here and abroad?

Are "career" people involved in the upper echelons, rather than "carer" people?

I think they are!

Do you think in the 21st Century these charities born from conditions during the 19th Century are outdated and should be otherwise organised?

I do.

Your considered views please.

I think the concept of charities is outdated and demeaning. I accept that animal charities need to exist but the thought of having to put out the begging bowl for essential things such as hospices, air ambulances, RNLI etc infuriating.

In order to qualify for any funding for most projects these days the organisation has to be a registered charity so it can be regulated and monitored.

I know our project wouldn't survive if we didn't receive sponsorship/funding.

I have noticed that charity work is fast becoming a career option though as more charities employ people to fundraise etc. This I find disheartening, whoever is doing the fundraising will indirectly be getting some of any contribution I make instead of the cause I was hoping to give to.

In order to qualify for any funding for most projects these days the organisation has to be a registered charity so it can be regulated and monitored.

I know our project wouldn't survive if we didn't receive sponsorship/funding.

I have noticed that charity work is fast becoming a career option though as more charities employ people to fundraise etc. This I find disheartening, whoever is doing the fundraising will indirectly be getting some of any contribution I make instead of the cause I was hoping to give to.

If the person is qualified and/experienced they could generate far more money than a random volunteer.

Agreed, but I think thats what puts alot of people off donating to large charities when the people fundraising are obviously paid workers.

Its just a perception.

I feel that this country is suffering from charity fatigue. Every time you turn the tv on, something is being done for a charity and you are being asked for your money. After a while it dosen't become special anymore to raise money for a charity as it is done so much.

I think the concept of charities is outdated and demeaning. I accept that animal charities need to exist but the thought of having to put out the begging bowl for essential things such as hospices, air ambulances, RNLI etc infuriating.

Agree with all you say — except RNLI. I don’t have any special interest in it, but I always give money because in my opinion the volunteers who man the lifeboats are among the bravest men and women in Britain. I shudder to think what might happen to it if the Government took it over. They reduced the size of the Coastguard many years ago!

Agree with all you say — except RNLI. I don’t have any special interest in it, but I always give money because in my opinion the volunteers who man the lifeboats are among the bravest men and women in Britain. I shudder to think what might happen to it if the Government took it over. They reduced the size of the Coastguard many years ago!

I concur with that, totally. :thumbsup: