Parking enforcement around Sheffield

If people behaved responsibly in the first place we wouldnt have need for these laws. Laws are only there for irresponsible people. Its bad getting a ticket but the way round it is not to flout the law.

Anyway, would anyone like to confirm this point for me? I believe that the ticket has to actually be put on the car before it is valid. I hope so anyway because the other day when i was irresponsibly parked too long in a residents parking area, (shame on me) i came back to the car to find one of these cheery souls making out a ticket. I asked her if she might change her mind if i got on my knees and begged. " sorry sir i have already made it out" This is baloney since i know they can be cancelled. Well i remembered the aforesaid bit of wisdom so i got in the car and drove off not leaving her time to afix the penalty notice to the window.

I have my fingers crossed but its over 2 weeks now and no fine.

:)

If people behaved responsibly in the first place we wouldnt have need for these laws. Laws are only there for irresponsible people. Its bad getting a ticket but the way round it is not to flout the law.

Anyway, would anyone like to confirm this point for me? I believe that the ticket has to actually be put on the car before it is valid. I hope so anyway because the other day when i was irresponsibly parked too long in a residents parking area, (shame on me) i came back to the car to find one of these cheery souls making out a ticket. I asked her if she might change her mind if i got on my knees and begged. " sorry sir i have already made it out" This is baloney since i know they can be cancelled. Well i remembered the aforesaid bit of wisdom so i got in the car and drove off not leaving her time to afix the penalty notice to the window.

GOOD WORK MATEY! I wish my brain dead g/f would have had the forsight to do that!

I will reply to some of the other posts later.

I believe that you are correct about the affixing of the notice.

Poorly programmed traffic lights? Having worked for 17 years in Urban Traffic Control, trying to keep the traffic moving as well as possible, I think I'm well qualified to tell you that you're talking absolute rubbish. The guys in UTC do everything they can to make the traffic move as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Queues occur because there are too many vehicles trying to use the roads at peak times. If UTC weren't there to optimise the way the traffic signals work, things would be much, much worse.

Is it April already?

Maybe if you'd not cocked the road system up so much, with endless, pointless, pedestrian-favoured lights and blocked every side street off then we could get to where we wanted. (You call it rat-running.)

I could list sets of lights that remain on red far longer than necessary.

Is it April already?

Maybe if you'd not cocked the road system up so much, with endless, pointless, pedestrian-favoured lights and blocked every side street off then we could get to where we wanted. (You call it rat-running.)

Spot on. Tried exiting Brook Hill roundabout w.o being stopped by pedestrian lights? If there's more than 2 cars trying to get off the same exit the 3rd one is left obstructing the roundabout.

People will never get out of their cars unless things get more difficult for them. It's called demand management. Parking restrictions are one of the measures in the toolbox.

This is erroneous. There is no evidence to suggest that car drivers can only take so much bullying and inconvenience and that eventually they will give up their cars and take to public transport. All they will do is dig in deeper and get more hacked off. Businesses will move out.

I can assure you that any tickets issued are enforceable through the courts - and the City Council does follow up on tickets.

Are they? That remains to be seen, they don't fully comply with the 1991 Road Traffic Act by not containing a date of contravention, the date of issue does not have to be the same date.

I suspect that if someone used this defence in court, there's a very real chance the council would lose. If they did lose, they'd have to pay back all the money from tickets since the system started.

Spot on. Tried exiting Brook Hill roundabout w.o being stopped by pedestrian lights? If there's more than 2 cars trying to get off the same exit the 3rd one is left obstructing the roundabout.

This is erroneous. There is no evidence to suggest that car drivers can only take so much bullying and inconvenience and that eventually they will give up their cars and take to public transport. All they will do is dig in deeper and get more hacked off. Businesses will move out.

The Council are well aware of the operational deficiencies of Brook Hill Roundabout. It was put in 20 years ago when traffic levels were somewhat lighter. It's being looked at as part of the South Yorkshire Inteligent Transport System. Park square type signal arrangements are veing considered for a number of the roundabouts on the ring road.

No, actually, you're wrong. London's congestion charge has reduced vehicular traffic in the centre and public transport usage is up.

Car ownership and usage is growing, the highway network can't cope at peak times, the peaks spread, congestion increases and parking problems blight whole areas. It isn't possible to build our way out of the problem. Still, drivers will not give up their cars, so measures have to be introduced which will oblige them to consider their alternatives. The way Sheffield are approaching this is to try to discourage commuters from bringing their cars into the city centre and the areas immediately around it by restricting the amount of all-day parking spaces.

and by increasing congestion through road closures and restrictions.

Is it April already?

I don't think the pedestrians will agree with you on this one. The Council has to consider all road users, especially the most vulnerable categories, which include pedestrians. we can't expect more people to walk if they can't cross the road.

Many of the road closures are done in the interests of maintaining capacity, by reducing turns and conflicts. Most towns and cities employ the same tactics.

You're obviously looking at the traffic signal issue from the point of getting maximum throughput of vehicles at all times. That isn't the only objective. There are many more factors which come into play. In setting up signal timing plans it's necessary to look at the wider picture across the network. At peak times, it is inevitable that queues will occur. To effectively manage the network, these queues must be managed and only allowed to build where they cause the least overall harm to network efficiency. Someties you may be held at red, but can't see why. There will be a good reason.

and by increasing congestion through road closures and restrictions.

As I've said, most of them are done in the interest of improving capacity and reducing congestion.

I don't think the pedestrians will agree with you on this one. The Council has to consider all road users, especially the most vulnerable categories, which include pedestrians. we can't expect more people to walk if they can't cross the road.

But is there any evidence that people are put off walking by the fact that they can't cross the road? Probably not... but the council still persists in doing things like the total mess they're making at the end of Sandygate Road in Crosspool in the name of pedestrians.

But is there any evidence that people are put off walking by the fact that they can't cross the road? Probably not... but the council still persists in doing things like the total mess they're making at the end of Sandygate Road in Crosspool in the name of pedestrians.

Not put off walking because they can't get across a road? Are you real? There's ample evidence that improving the pedestrian environment, providing safe, attractive, walkable routes leads to increases in the level of walking. I suppose you want the Council to put in pedestrian underpasses and overbridges so the poor car drivers won't be inconvenienced! It's not the 1960's anymore, times have changed, and for the better too.

So, got our crystal ball out have we? How do you know Sandygate Road / Manchester Road is a mess, it isn't finished yet???? As it happens I was heavily involved in that scheme. We did a lot of consultation and worked closely with local community and business groups to find a scheme they were happy with. They brought forward their own ideas and most of them have gone into the final scheme. The scheme that's going in is producing a lot of benefits for the local community that they would never have got if the Council hadn't come along with proposals for the S10 bus quality corridor and actually listened to what the local people were telling them. The road is being narrowed on the entrance to Sandygate Road because drivers come around there too fast. The local people told us this and asked us to do something about it. I think the scheme which is being installed is a very good one and I believe that most of the local people agree. The Council went the extra mile and the people of Crosspool appreciated it.