Parking enforcement around Sheffield

Project Statistics

Cost £23m

Finance Sheffield City Council/Central Government

Estimated duration of works 2004-2007

Length of new road 1 mile [/i][/color]

Not bad for an anti-car city/government, what? :D

That depends on how much easier the scheme makes it for people to get their cars close enough for city centre shopping. Are there any plans for a low-cost park-n-ride bus shuttle service from anywhere on this new ring road to the shopping areas to be developed in the centre, - the Moor, NRQ etc. ?

I don't think there's any room for complacency until we see what the council intend to do with the routes that will be relieved by this scheme ;)

The photos on the council website are quite interesting but wouldn't aerial photos give a much better overview of how the scheme is progressing ?

The Ring Road won't help the flow of traffic a great deal.

Every motorist knows our council has an obsession with poorly programmed traffic lights and you'll not be able to travel 20 yards without encountering another set of lights.

(A fine example of incredibly poor programming can be seen at Somerfield Street/Ecclesall Road and the junction between Somerfield Street/Cemetery Road. These two sets of lights create a totally unncessary tailback (ie, a result for our car hating council).

As for the parking attendants, I actually support them. Along Barber Road (where I work) they give motorists a chance to move their vehicle before issuing them with a fine. What I did find strange was that their own vehicle parked on double yellow lines outside our shop on one occasion.

When I mentioned to the bloke at the wheel 'You can't park there, you're on double yellow lines', his rather strange answer was 'Well, where do you expect me to park!'

They're as lazy as the rest of us!

Poorly programmed traffic lights? Having worked for 17 years in Urban Traffic Control, trying to keep the traffic moving as well as possible, I think I'm well qualified to tell you that you're talking absolute rubbish. The guys in UTC do everything they can to make the traffic move as quickly and smoothly as possible.

Queues occur because there are too many vehicles trying to use the roads at peak times. If UTC weren't there to optimise the way the traffic signals work, things would be much, much worse.

encouraging commuters

That's the sort of encouragement you get in some countries to vote for the correct party that involves your door being kicked down in the night and a gun pushed into your face.

They are being coerced not encouraged, at least be honest about it.

(not that i'm saying you are threatening people into altering their habits, you are just punishing them if they don't).

People will never get out of their cars unless things get more difficult for them. It's called demand management. Parking restrictions are one of the measures in the toolbox.

People will never get out of their cars unless things get more difficult for them. It's called demand management. Parking restrictions are one of the measures in the toolbox.

I understand that, but when you're talking about the stick, don't pretend that it's orange and donkeys like to eat it, it's disengenius.

That depends on how much easier the scheme makes it for people to get their cars close enough for city centre shopping. Are there any plans for a low-cost park-n-ride bus shuttle service from anywhere on this new ring road to the shopping areas to be developed in the centre, - the Moor, NRQ etc. ?

I don't think there's any room for complacency until we see what the council intend to do with the routes that will be relieved by this scheme ;)

The photos on the council website are quite interesting but wouldn't aerial photos give a much better overview of how the scheme is progressing ?

It's not supposed to make it easier for anyone to get closer to the city centre, it's supposed to make it easier to get from one side of the city to the other without going through the city centre.

it helps get cars out of the city centre, it must be a councilors wet dream. And (I could be wrong about this) but isn't most of the money coming from elsewhere?

I have to say that in all my 20 years experience of dealing with Planners, Highways and Councillors in Sheffield I've never drawn the conclusion that they as a body are "anti-car".

However, I have drawn the conclusion that the average man in the street doesn't have a grasp of the issues involved and often gets the wrong end of the stick as a result. Increased consultation liaison with the public is welcomed and I do hope that they carry on the good work that Planner1 has been doing here. A few more departments should take the hint. ;)

I have to say that in all my 20 years experience of dealing with Planners, Highways and Councillors in Sheffield I've never drawn the conclusion that they as a body are "anti-car".

Have you not?:

People will never get out of their cars unless things get more difficult for them.

Seems pretty anti car to me:(.

It's not anti car. It's facing reality.

However, I have drawn the conclusion that the average man in the street doesn't have a grasp of the issues involved and often gets the wrong end of the stick as a result.

It's not anti car. It's facing reality.

Bullying people is not the way forward. Incentives would be a better approach.

I can only respond by quoting myself for the second time.

However, I have drawn the conclusion that the average man in the street doesn't have a grasp of the issues involved and often gets the wrong end of the stick as a result.

If you have a think about the many wider issues you could say that there is an incentive to improve your fitness, or to reduce carbon emissions, or to reduce congestion, or to improve public transport through increased use, or to reduce the cost of travel, etc, etc. All of these things are incentives to use your car less.

Or were you thinking about handing out fiver's to drivers?