Parking enforcement around Sheffield

Surely most people have some idea of how much the car costs them to run.

Mine works out like this;

Insurance £900

Tax £168

Service £250

MOT £40

Petrol £700 ish (depends obviously, but 11.25p/mile)

Depreciation is harder to assess, probably about 1k/year for my car.

So just over 3k/annum for me. Given that I definitely don't only travel within south yorkshire, and the huge amount of time it saves me compared to public transport, it's well worth it.

I guess for most people the question is one of time and convenience, how much is an hour of your day, 5 days a week worth. When you add up that 1 hour (and for me it's more than that) it's 220hrs a year, sat on a bus, in the cold (or the hot), with someone smelly sat beside you playing gangsta rap too loud on their cheap headphones, or stood on the tram because there are no seats free.

God damn money grabbers... And with uprated charges for resident permits? Scum bags.

I've just had an interesting charge.

I was delivering a large tv to some "supported" flats and parked in the flats car park to do so. I got a parking ticket so wrote to them within the specified time explaining.

Today I got a reply (2 months later) and the charge has increased to £120 due to them not responding to me earlier. They also have my car registration wrong on the letter. :confused:

Lovely, absolutely delightful to drive through Broomhill this morning and encounter so little congestion.

Thanks to the traffic lights at the Whitham Road/Crookes Road/Nile Street being out that is.

Just think how great it would be if we switched all these unnecessary lights off (with the odd exception of course).

What time was that - I use that junction daily coming down Crookes at around 8:45 am - the number of times it get's blocked by traffic from Ranmoor / Fulwood who will happily pull on to the junction without being able to clear it is incredible - it's getting to the point that traffic from Crookes is only able to cross on every other green light - take away the lights and I don't think traffic from Crookes would ever be able to cross the junction at busy times given the selfish attitudes of many drivers approaching from Fulwood Road.

Oh and by the way, I can't remember a parking meter anywhere in the country (or France and Spain for that matter) that gives change.

I've just had an interesting charge.

I was delivering a large tv to some "supported" flats and parked in the flats car park to do so. I got a parking ticket so wrote to them within the specified time explaining.

Today I got a reply (2 months later) and the charge has increased to £120 due to them not responding to me earlier. They also have my car registration wrong on the letter. :confused:

Do some research, if you contest a ticket they have to give you the initial 28 days reduced charge again starting from the date they throw it out. I would write back informing them of this.

For the first time EVER I have seen wardens slapping dozens and dozens of tickets around Bramall Lane this afternoon.

This is a new strategy

I hope the £££££'s being raked in will lead to a subsidy and discount of council tax

deepak

Surely most people have some idea of how much the car costs them to run.

Mine works out like this;

Insurance £900

Tax £168

Service £250

MOT £40

Petrol £700 ish (depends obviously, but 11.25p/mile)

Depreciation is harder to assess, probably about 1k/year for my car.

So just over 3k/annum for me. Given that I definitely don't only travel within south yorkshire, and the huge amount of time it saves me compared to public transport, it's well worth it.

I guess for most people the question is one of time and convenience, how much is an hour of your day, 5 days a week worth. When you add up that 1 hour (and for me it's more than that) it's 220hrs a year, sat on a bus, in the cold (or the hot), with someone smelly sat beside you playing gangsta rap too loud on their cheap headphones, or stood on the tram because there are no seats free.

that's the point isn't it, you can do far more with a car than you can public transport.

however, i walk so much these days, and have don't really think about the time issues - yes it often takes longer but i don't really care. also, if i need a car i hire one. we hired around 8 vehicles last year for weekends/holidays etc and i worked out that this cost around £800 inc petrol. so i'm still quids in.

I do not live in an area where it happens but on my way down city road I have seen wardens get out of their van and ticket cars parked up there in the early mornings