Parking enforcement around Sheffield

Does that mean that the end part of Sandygate Road is going to be one way coming out onto Manchester Road then? Otherwise I don't see how you're going to get three lanes of traffic in there while narrowing the road as well.

The junction was very wide. Moving the centre island slightly does the job. 2 cars could just about squeeze out side by side before.

Lovely, absolutely delightful to drive through Broomhill this morning and encounter so little congestion.

Thanks to the traffic lights at the Whitham Road/Crookes Road/Nile Street being out that is.

Just think how great it would be if we switched all these unnecessary lights off (with the odd exception of course).

Planner1 - you haven't told me yet why the new pay and display machines in Broomhill weren't designed/programmed to give the motorist change. For, what was it, something like £1,500 apiece, I'd expect a machine to be capable of doing that.

If it wasn't there to fleece the motorist, that is. (Oh dear, I've only got a pound coin for a 20p fee.)

Planner1 - you haven't told me yet why the new pay and display machines in Broomhill weren't designed/programmed to give the motorist change. For, what was it, something like £1,500 apiece, I'd expect a machine to be capable of doing that.

If it wasn't there to fleece the motorist, that is. (Oh dear, I've only got a pound coin for a 20p fee.)

Yes, I'd like to know the answer to this aswell.

Planner1 - you haven't told me yet why the new pay and display machines in Broomhill weren't designed/programmed to give the motorist change.

I don't suppose you noticed if the metres accept payment in two pence coins (ie 10 2ps) at all?

Hi Planner1.

You state that the tactile paving is "National Standard" and I'm sure it is. But does this make it a good idea ?(let's face it, some of the people who dream these things up need to fill their day somehow)

My thoughts on this are, they are undoubtedly an uncomfortable experience for those unsteady on their feet. They seem to get inordinately icy in cold weather but the main point is this:

Given the number of blind people about (extremely small), isn't this massive provision of "crossing points" way OTT? Also, having located them I'm certain that a blind person couldn't just set off across a road. They'd surely ask a passer-by for assistance who could give info where it is safe to cross without special paving.

Finally, even if guide dogs are "trained" to look left, right and left again, the speed of traffic on, for example the upper reaches of Sandygate Road would challenge a 100m sprinter.

Not out to cause controversy, just think this is a totally wrong way to address a problem that was probably very small in the first place.

Hi Planner1.

You state that the tactile paving is "National Standard" and I'm sure it is. But does this make it a good idea ?(let's face it, some of the people who dream these things up need to fill their day somehow)

My thoughts on this are, they are undoubtedly an uncomfortable experience for those unsteady on their feet. They seem to get inordinately icy in cold weather but the main point is this:

Given the number of blind people about (extremely small), isn't this massive provision of "crossing points" way OTT? Also, having located them I'm certain that a blind person couldn't just set off across a road. They'd surely ask a passer-by for assistance who could give info where it is safe to cross without special paving.

Finally, even if guide dogs are "trained" to look left, right and left again, the speed of traffic on, for example the upper reaches of Sandygate Road would challenge a 100m sprinter.

Not out to cause controversy, just think this is a totally wrong way to address a problem that was probably very small in the first place.

The Government set the national standard after consultation with disability groups. Part of Government's agenda is to improve accessibility for all sections of society, which is surely a good thing.

Most of the people who are "blind" are actually partially sighted and there are more than you might think. They can differentiate colours, hence uncontrolled crossings get buff paving and controlled ones get red. At controlled crossings, the layout of the paving guides the blind person to the right hand push button unit, which has (on most modern signal insallations) a small rotating tactile button situated on the bottom of the push button unit. The button turns when the green man is illuminated.

The Government has lots of performance indicators and targets for Local Government. The only one for traffic signals is how many sites have full facilities for the disabled. If an Authority is seen as under-performing, funding will be cut.

The uncontrolled crossing points help lots of people to get around more easily, parents with pushchairs, wheelchair users, others with mobility difficulties etc. You'd be surprised how many requests the Council gets to provide them.

Are they? That remains to be seen, they don't fully comply with the 1991 Road Traffic Act by not containing a date of contravention, the date of issue does not have to be the same date.

I suspect that if someone used this defence in court, there's a very real chance the council would lose. If they did lose, they'd have to pay back all the money from tickets since the system started.

If you have paid you can ask for it back....

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=14762

It's actually cheaper to own and run a modest car in Sheffield over the busses, their pricing is ridiculous.

So restricting parking will only penalise the very people who can't afford it, secretaries, cleaners, part timers and people who're generally on low income. People who have better/higher paying jobs (tho not strictly more worthwhile) tend to have parking provided, thus are unaffected.

You have to wonder if there's some form of cartel in operation, as you're forced off the roads onto the only other option, public transport, that costs more to use than to own a car! Any councillors have shares in First?

So you can run a car for £750 can you.....that's the price of a yearly travelmaster allowing travel on all buses, trams and trains in south yorkshire. a sheffield one is £665.

even the worst car will cost at least that, once insurance, petrol, tax, servicing, depreciation, parking charges is taken into account.

So you can run a car for £750 can you.....that's the price of a yearly travelmaster allowing travel on all buses, trams and trains in south yorkshire. a sheffield one is £665.

even the worst car will cost at least that, once insurance, petrol, tax, servicing, depreciation, parking charges is taken into account.

Well 750 would certainly more than cover the cost of the petrol and insurance for the journey I do each day over a year, I don't pay parking and the car depreciates whether I use it or not (if it's possible to go any lower), but I take your point.

hands up anyone who never drives out of south yorkshire.

Well 750 would certainly more than cover the cost of the petrol and insurance for the journey I do each day over a year, I don't pay parking and the car depreciates whether I use it or not (if it's possible to go any lower), but I take your point.

i think you are in the minority, most people don't have a clue how much their car costs to run.....

the yearly ticket is good value, but i wouldn't spend £750 in one go. the fact is that these better value tickets are hard to get hold of (requires a visit to a travel info centre), and require a lot of cash at once. it's the rip off single tickets that are the problem. barber road to west street is £1.20!

no wonder people like yourselves travel by car......that's not criticism by the way.

to be perfectly honest, i'm a bus user (no car) and although on the whole they work well, i do get fed up with it sometimes. just recently services have been much worse, probably due to the huge influx of students getting on and off, asking the bus driver questions etc. the west street bus gate, which over the summer works fine (after school holidays but before uni term) is now a shambles, with massive queues delaying buses and trams.