Parking enforcement around Sheffield

Strange because from what I've heard, everyone in Crosspool was dead against it. Any Crosspoolians care to contribute on the matter? Why oh why oh why for example did you have to narrow the end of Watt Lane so that now there isn't room for a car to go into it at the same time as one is coming out?

I do a lot of walking and I must say that among the things that put me off doing it, the width of the road I have to cross is very low down the list - behind things like it's hard work up all the hills, you get soaked when it's pouring down, you can't carry anything heavy or bulky if you buy it, you get accosted by clipboard people/alcoholics/beggars/general undesirables at every step, and so on.

Not put off walking because they can't get across a road? Are you real? There's ample evidence that improving the pedestrian environment, providing safe, attractive, walkable routes leads to increases in the level of walking. I suppose you want the Council to put in pedestrian underpasses and overbridges so the poor car drivers won't be inconvenienced! It's not the 1960's anymore, times have changed, and for the better too.

For the better... I suspect that most motorists (and that equates to most voting adults) would disagree.

If you can't put in pedestrian over/underpasses, because god forbid that we'd have to make an effort to cross a road, how about car under/over passes. Probably too much effort though isn't it, you'd rather just screw over the traffic flow for the sake of people walking.

There won't be many people walking around the city centre once all the businesses have died due to the inability to drive to them, and once no one can even get to the centre to park up and then walk around.

So, got our crystal ball out have we? How do you know Sandygate Road / Manchester Road is a mess, it isn't finished yet???? As it happens I was heavily involved in that scheme. We did a lot of consultation and worked closely with local community and business groups to find a scheme they were happy with. They brought forward their own ideas and most of them have gone into the final scheme. The scheme that's going in is producing a lot of benefits for the local community that they would never have got if the Council hadn't come along with proposals for the S10 bus quality corridor and actually listened to what the local people were telling them. The road is being narrowed on the entrance to Sandygate Road because drivers come around there too fast. The local people told us this and asked us to do something about it. I think the scheme which is being installed is a very good one and I believe that most of the local people agree. The Council went the extra mile and the people of Crosspool appreciated it.

Just been into Broomhill and found that one of the machines is not working.

What are my rights when such a machine is not working? Am I supposed to walk until I find one that's in operation or what?

And for all they cost, surely the council could have installed machines which give change.

Then you wonder why we reckon they're another fleece-the-motorist money making con.

If you can't put in pedestrian over/underpasses, because god forbid that we'd have to make an effort to cross a road, how about car under/over passes. Probably too much effort though isn't it, you'd rather just screw over the traffic flow for the sake of people walking.

Just for the record, I'm not against pedestrian crossings, it's obvious that people need to cross the road, that's fine. And I certainly don't want to return to the days of underpasses occupied by beggars and muggers either. I just don't see why all the roads have to be narrowed as well.

Strange because from what I've heard, everyone in Crosspool was dead against it. Any Crosspoolians care to contribute on the matter? Why oh why oh why for example did you have to narrow the end of Watt Lane so that now there isn't room for a car to go into it at the same time as one is coming out?

I do a lot of walking and I must say that among the things that put me off doing it, the width of the road I have to cross is very low down the list - behind things like it's hard work up all the hills, you get soaked when it's pouring down, you can't carry anything heavy or bulky if you buy it, you get accosted by clipboard people/alcoholics/beggars/general undesirables at every step, and so on.

Watt Lane is another place where the road was very wide and pedestrains had difficulty crossing. The Council are putting in a zebra crossing and the road is being narrowed, two way traffic will be able to pass, but more slowly.

You may be able bodied and be able to walk quickly, many people can't and the Council has to take their needs into account. On crossings, narrowing the width of theroad can actually cut delays to motorists as the pedestrians don't have as far to cross and therefore get out of the way quicker!

When the proposals were first consulted upon, some people in Crosspool were against them. They formed a group, Crosspool Traffic Campaign (CTC) to press their views. We engaged with them and the local Forum to revise the plans and come up with a final scheme which would give the bus related benefits that we wanted, whilst giving the community some things they wanted. There were several well attended public meetings along with letter drops and formal consultation. When the final scheme was approved, even the most die-hard opponent of the proposals would concede that the Council had listened to local people and acted on their concerns.

The Crosspool scheme has something for everyone. Motorists will benefit from better parking facilities in Crosspool Centre and the junction of Sandygate Road adn Manchester Road is being remodelled such that right and left turning traffic will be able to exit Sandygate Road simultaneously more easily and the operation of the adjacent pedestrian crossing on Manchester Road is being adjusted to create more gaps in the main road traffic so that Sandygate Road traffic can get out more easily, avoiding queuing in the morning peak hour.

All that this scheme will achieve is:

a) Lots of tactile (knobbly) paving for the elderly to trip over

b) The usual plethora of yellow lines which the vast majority of motorists have always ignored

c) New bus stop layouts (see b))

d) Employees of the shops parking in the spaces all day.

BTW, is it 2 O'clock yet? If so, StreetFarce will have knocked off for the day :)

Motorists will benefit from better parking facilities in Crosspool Centre and the junction of Sandygate Road adn Manchester Road is being remodelled such that right and left turning traffic will be able to exit Sandygate Road simultaneously more easily and the operation of the adjacent pedestrian crossing on Manchester Road is being adjusted to create more gaps in the main road traffic so that Sandygate Road traffic can get out more easily, avoiding queuing in the morning peak hour.

Does that mean that the end part of Sandygate Road is going to be one way coming out onto Manchester Road then? Otherwise I don't see how you're going to get three lanes of traffic in there while narrowing the road as well.

Otherwise I don't see how you're going to get three lanes of traffic in there while narrowing the road as well.

Three cycle lanes?:hihi:.

Tis going to be fun when it's finished:rolleyes:

The way Sheffield are approaching this is to try to discourage commuters from bringing their cars into the city centre and the areas immediately around it by restricting the amount of all-day parking spaces.

It's actually cheaper to own and run a modest car in Sheffield over the busses, their pricing is ridiculous.

So restricting parking will only penalise the very people who can't afford it, secretaries, cleaners, part timers and people who're generally on low income. People who have better/higher paying jobs (tho not strictly more worthwhile) tend to have parking provided, thus are unaffected.

You have to wonder if there's some form of cartel in operation, as you're forced off the roads onto the only other option, public transport, that costs more to use than to own a car! Any councillors have shares in First?

and by increasing congestion through road closures and restrictions.

I agree with Cyclone.

Should the council wish to introduce congestion charges, how are they going swing this counter arguement? Congestion *has* been artificially increased by the planning in the city centre.

Congestion *has* been artificially increased by the planning in the city centre.

It has been mentioned:D.

Probably true.

All that this scheme will achieve is:

a) Lots of tactile (knobbly) paving for the elderly to trip over

b) The usual plethora of yellow lines which the vast majority of motorists have always ignored

c) New bus stop layouts (see b))

d) Employees of the shops parking in the spaces all day.

BTW, is it 2 O'clock yet? If so, StreetFarce will have knocked off for the day :)

(a) It's a national standard to provide tactile paving at crossing points.

(b) They'll be enforced

© see (b)

(d) Time limited - see (b)