Parking enforcement around Sheffield

Mod note:

gbeardshaw, please pack it in with the bad language. You're obviously eloquent enough to get your point across without it so please don't do it again. I'm getting fed up of editing it out of your posts.

Thanks.

I thought it would be classed as an obstruction. Which means the (should be on a) ward-ens should have informed the police to move the offending vehicles as obstructions are not the jurisdiction of TWs:mad:

As I said traffic regulations apply to the whole of the highway, which includes the verge, so the parking attendants will ticket them if they can.

Why don't you stop the petty name calling? It isn't necessary and doesn't help anyone to take you seriously.

Excuse Me Everybody! Well Those Who Are Being Very Stupid!

The Attendants Are Just Doing There Jobs, Just Like Most People In Sheffield Who Do Their Jobs!

If People Didnt Park Illegally Then They Wouldnt Get A Ticket Would They??????

And Parking Attendants Dont Get Bonuses Or Little Argos Vouchers For How Many Tickets They Put On They Get Nothing For It!

And They Don't Just Decide To Go Somewhere And Pick On Students, The Parking Services Recieves Complaints About The Parking So They Act Upon These! It Is Not Their Fault That There Is No Parking! Any Driver Should No That They Are Not Aloud To Park On Yellow Lines! So She Should Have Used Her Common Sense Shouldnt She?

What Is Your Problem????

Why Do People Have A Go At The Attendants It Is Not There Fault They Get Told Wher To Go When They Arrive At Work, If They Se Illegally Parked Cars Then Of Course They Are Going To Ticket Them For Goodness Sake!

People Who Complain Are Sad Pathetic Losers Who Want To Get Away With Breaking The Law Well I Got News For You All It All Going To Change, The Attendants Are Coming And Your Going To Have To Pay Up!

you would be suprised at the incentives parking attendents get for doing there jobs and most of us dont fault the parking attendents but if there is such a big problem with people parking illegally and breaking the law obviously the council must be able to come up with some other solution than to give everyone fines! a good example of this would be hillsbrough college when it was built there were ok, parking facilities avalible outside the college but after a couple of complaints alot of students returned to college after the easter break to find the road painted with double yellow lines! i mean whats tht all about? not even no discussions with the people tht actuallly go to the college so there actions were very biosed dont you think? and also im sure a read somewhere that parking around some of the university sites would be changing to pay and display?! so your telling me that this has nothing to do with money grabing?!o and you will find that the majority of people who get parking fines dont actually get them for double yello line parking but for silly things such as parking in an area within a certain time limit

once again rant over

thanks 4 reading lol

you would be suprised at the incentives parking attendents get for doing there jobs and most of us dont fault the parking attendents but if there is such a big problem with people parking illegally and breaking the law obviously the council must be able to come up with some other solution than to give everyone fines! a good example of this would be hillsbrough college when it was built there were ok, parking facilities avalible outside the college but after a couple of complaints alot of students returned to college after the easter break to find the road painted with double yellow lines! i mean whats tht all about? not even no discussions with the people tht actuallly go to the college so there actions were very biosed dont you think? and also im sure a read somewhere that parking around some of the university sites would be changing to pay and display?! so your telling me that this has nothing to do with money grabing?!o and you will find that the majority of people who get parking fines dont actually get them for double yello line parking but for silly things such as parking in an area within a certain time limit

once again rant over

thanks 4 reading lol

Do you not think that it is in the nature of people to try to "get away with it" if they can? If people park illegally and get away with it, they continue to do so, other people see that this is happening and join them.

Up until the Council took it over last year, parking enforcement in Sheffield was almost non-existant as the Police had let their traffic warden service run down by natural wastage, because they knew the Council were taking over. The motoring public knew very well that they were very unlikely to get a ticket if they flouted the regulations.

Parking resrictions are there for a very good reason. The threat of enforcement is necessary to make sure the regulations are observed.

As far as consultation on introducing double yellow lines is concerned, the minimum the Council has to do is put one advert in the Star saying they are proposing to do it. In fact they do more, they put up notices on-street and letter drop all directly affected properties (ie those which are going to have the lines outside them). There's always an argument about how widely you should consult, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

The introduction of residents parking zones and pay and display for short stay parking in areas around the hospitals and universities (already introduced in Broomhill and coming to Crookesmoor probably next year) has nothing to do with money grabbing. It's to reduce the impact of commuter parking, give priority back to residents and free up parking spaces for shoppers, visitors and hospital patients. The pay and display is 20p per hour and it is to make the eforcement easier and less labour intensive.

A question for Planner1 :

When are you going to start enforcing the double yellows at the top of London Road?

This is on the brow of a hill, with a staggered crossroads and a pelican crossing. I can hardly think of a worse place to park illegaly, yet the takeaway drivers seem to do it with impunity.

If you can't stop them parking, couldn't you at least ask your planning colleagues not to be so stupid as to allow people to operate a food delivery business from high street premises with no parking?

Do you not think that it is in the nature of people to try to "get away with it" if they can? If people park illegally and get away with it, they continue to do so, other people see that this is happening and join them.

Up until the Council took it over last year, parking enforcement in Sheffield was almost non-existant as the Police had let their traffic warden service run down by natural wastage, because they knew the Council were taking over. The motoring public knew very well that they were very unlikely to get a ticket if they flouted the regulations.

Parking resrictions are there for a very good reason. The threat of enforcement is necessary to make sure the regulations are observed.

As far as consultation on introducing double yellow lines is concerned, the minimum the Council has to do is put one advert in the Star saying they are proposing to do it. In fact they do more, they put up notices on-street and letter drop all directly affected properties (ie those which are going to have the lines outside them). There's always an argument about how widely you should consult, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

The introduction of residents parking zones and pay and display for short stay parking in areas around the hospitals and universities (already introduced in Broomhill and coming to Crookesmoor probably next year) has nothing to do with money grabbing. It's to reduce the impact of commuter parking, give priority back to residents and free up parking spaces for shoppers, visitors and hospital patients. The pay and display is 20p per hour and it is to make the eforcement easier and less labour intensive.

Ok by now I'm guessing you and Kimmie work for Sheffild Council? If so I have some thoughts for you.

1. Less talking more doing, this is my main gripe. You have aknowledged the fact that parking in Sheffield is less than adequate... and as result lots more people are receiveing tickets so......... Why not do something about it now! (not next year!) and get more pay & diplay parking zones and car parks built instead of using the money you earn from parking tickets to dig up more roads that do not require fixing (as the moral goes, why fix something that isn't broken?) Key example is prince of wales earlier this year... It was fine! why dig it up? why not spend the money on other roads that are so bad it breaks your car i.e. the backstreet roads near prince of wales?

2. If an area is worse for wear as far as parking goes why put double yellows everywhere because of few a complaints!!! ? I'm complaining! why not rub them out! No because it generates revenue where people have no where else to park!

@ The Mod, please now note that my postings have less circumvention of the swear filter emcompassing them, consider my dannies slapped!

Thanks.

Also Planner1 and Kimmie, as a side note.

Do all new road developments in Sheff have project managers?? If so then the one in charge of managing the development at the bottom of Hillsborough needs firing right now! because he/she has made a sorry affair of the whole development/scheme, its been going on for far too long now! and is causing more obstruction in one the busiest parts of town than a Bowing 747 would crash landing on the M1.

Again, Thanks for reading.

I got a ticket the other month for parking infront of a dropped kerb. apparently I can't do that even though there was no double yellow (or any other lines of any descrition) etc to warn me of this.!! ******s :(

A dropped kerb indicates a right of access, was it someones driveway you were blocking or a gate to somewhere?

Now if only I could get the parking attendants to ticket the idiots who block my drive (where there is a dropped kerb)...

Kimmie - the Capital Letter Wardens are also coming, you will be fined if you don't stop capitalising every letter, and no one will read your posts! :P

Ok by now I'm guessing you and Kimmie work for Sheffild Council? If so I have some thoughts for you.

1. Less talking more doing, this is my main gripe. You have aknowledged the fact that parking in Sheffield is less than adequate... and as result lots more people are receiveing tickets so......... Why not do something about it now! (not next year!) and get more pay & diplay parking zones and car parks built instead of using the money you earn from parking tickets to dig up more roads that do not require fixing (as the moral goes, why fix something that isn't broken?) Key example is prince of wales earlier this year... It was fine! why dig it up? why not spend the money on other roads that are so bad it breaks your car i.e. the backstreet roads near prince of wales?

2. If an area is worse for wear as far as parking goes why put double yellows everywhere because of few a complaints!!! ? I'm complaining! why not rub them out! No because it generates revenue where people have no where else to park!

@ The Mod, please now note that my postings have less circumvention of the swear filter emcompassing them, consider my dannies slapped!

Thanks.

I used to work for Sheffield Council up to a couple of weeks ago. I was a transport planner and was the Council's lead officer for residents parking schemes and many others.

I'd say that parking is becoming a national issue, it's not just in Sheffield. A great deal of the housing stock is quite old and has no off street parking. Car ownership is rising, so parking is becoming an issue all over the city. when there weren't as many cars, people would generally observe the guidance in the highway code about not parking within 10m of a junction, obstructing people's accesses / driveways etc. As competition for spaces increases, so people begin to park in places they really shouldn't.

The Council gets HUGE numbers of complaints about bad parking and requests for residents parking schemes, more waiting restrictions, better enforcement etc. It isn't just a few complaints.

It's easy to say build more car parks. There are a couple of problems with that. Where do we build them and how do we pay for it? City centre development sites are worth huge amounts and people want to build offices and flats on them because that is what makes them money. The Council doesn't own these sites and doesn't have the money to buy them and build car parks on them. Wherever possible, when a site is cleared pending a development, the Council rents it form the developer for use as a car park until the site is required. Many of the surface level car parks in the city centre are in this category.

It is very difficult to find sites for car parks in residential areas, the Council does what it can with the sites it owns (they are converting a disused depot on Speooner Road, Broomhill into a small car park), but here aren't many people who want the Council to demolish their houses so they can build car parks!

The Council are introducing residents parking schemes in a circle around the city centre to form a peripheral parking zone (PPZ). This is in an effort to combat the effects of commuter parking by limiting the availability of free all-day parking spaces. The permit schemes give back priority to residents who are suffering great difficulties at the moment. Doing this can also be beneficial for local shops and businesses as short stay parking bays are introduced, with pay & display to encourage turnover of spaces and help with enforcement.

The recently introduced scheme in Broomhill appears to be working well, there are now spaces available for residents and visitors and I've seen a couple of reports from traders saying they are finding business is better as their customers can now find somewhere to park, where before, they struggled to find parking space.

I can honestly say that in introducing these schemes, making money out of parking fines was never considered as a motivating factor. The Council are trying ther best to respond to local needs and cut congestion by encouraging commuters to come by more sustainable means.

When introducing area wide schemes the Council will bring the waiting restrictions up to current standards and stop people parking where it is inappropriate to do so. Parking at junctions causes danger for all road users and restricts the ability of larger vehicles to enter some roads. As I said, the Council gets huge numbers of complaints about inappropriate parking, but the only way they can do anything about it is if there is a waiting restriction.

Also Planner1 and Kimmie, as a side note.

Do all new road developments in Sheff have project managers?? If so then the one in charge of managing the development at the bottom of Hillsborough needs firing right now! because he/she has made a sorry affair of the whole development/scheme, its been going on for far too long now! and is causing more obstruction in one the busiest parts of town than a Bowing 747 would crash landing on the M1.

Again, Thanks for reading.

I don't know the location, you'll have to be more specific. Which roads?

encouraging commuters

That's the sort of encouragement you get in some countries to vote for the correct party that involves your door being kicked down in the night and a gun pushed into your face.

They are being coerced not encouraged, at least be honest about it.

(not that i'm saying you are threatening people into altering their habits, you are just punishing them if they don't).