IVF for Lesbians? Why?

Surely if their brains have decided that normal sexuality is abhorrent to them, then the part of their brain required for nuturing a child is also skewed.

They do not want a child which will grow into a adult.

They just want a baby to play with.

They should stick to their cats and kittens, and not go trying to change nature to suit their own overblown egos.

Seriously, that's part of biology. You know, man, woman, birds and bees?

For younger women they start looking at IVF after, I think, a couple of years of actively trying for a baby. For older women, a year or so. If it doesn't work, then off they go in to intervention land.

Now...here's a little 'Devil's Advocacy'....

It would appear that a Lesbian couple will be unable to fulfill this requirement,

Yes they can, by using and failing with the techniques I mentioned.

so I assume that this part of the process is 'short circuited'. If that's the case, then it would appear to me to be fair to offer a similar 'short circuiting' of the process to heterosexual couples who don't want to put themselves through two years of trying.

Fairness has to work both ways - whether people like it or not, a baby is normally conceived with one parent of each sex. It's a dreadful thing to say but part of the 'cost' of having a child is that you end up having to have sex; if your sexuality doesn't allow you to do that, and medical science can hep, then fine, but Health Authorities need to be VERY careful that they're not making decisions that can be challenged as being discriminatory on the 'time issues' I mentioned above.

Just as with heterosexual couples lesbian couples will only get IVF treatment if the more traditional and lower tech ‘put sperm in the vagina’ technique using either a penis or a turkey baster repeatedly fails, I think you’re seeing problems that don’t really exist here.

Surely if their brains have decided that normal sexuality is abhorrent to them, then the part of their brain required for nuturing a child is also skewed.

They do not want a child which will grow into a adult.

They just want a baby to play with.

They should stick to their cats and kittens, and not go trying to change nature to suit their own overblown egos.

^^^^

Poetry :hihi:

there was a debate today on radio that ivf should be given to dykes but not obese women. what a load of crap. give it to the obese women and **** the dykes off.ps why is one always more macho than the other?

Abusive fathers however - that's understandable! :loopy:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone said that is ok.

.ps why is one always more macho than the other?

Someone has to do the womans work :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

I fully agree in lesbians having babies. And i disagree with a lot of the people on here who are sexist idiots for saying that two women can't bring up a child together.

My mother was brought up by two lesbians. She's a healthy, fine, normal woman. She was concieved by my gran in a previous relationship, only for my grandad to chicken out when things got too real.

If you look around, you'll see that there are far more women around with babies. I'm not saying men can't bring up children, I'm just saying that its usually the womans role to do so.

there was a debate today on radio that ivf should be given to dykes but not obese women. what a load of crap. give it to the obese women and **** the dykes off.ps why is one always more macho than the other?

Your prejudice against lesbians is showing - "dykes" is regarded as a derogatory term. Your suggestion of "**** the dykes off" is simply abusive. And your ignorance is clearly showing when you question "why is one is always more macho than the other?"

The OP posed the question.....

Should single women or lesbians have IVF on the NHS?

Your post amply demonstrates the prejudice in society that lesbians face, whether it is regarding having access to IVF or anything else.

Gays, Lesbians, Heteros, theyre all capable of giving love to a kid and all capable of having a long and loving relationship weather theyre married or living together, theyre equally capable of being in a bad relationship too.

I dont think that sexual preferances should come into it. You either have the potential to be a good parent or you dont.

I understand that heterosexual women over 38 aren't entitled to IVF treatment on the NHS... surely they should come before Lesbian women of any age?

Where's the equality there?

Gays, Lesbians, Heteros, theyre all capable of giving love to a kid and all capable of having a long and loving relationship weather theyre married or living together, theyre equally capable of being in a bad relationship too.

I dont think that sexual preferances should come into it. You either have the potential to be a good parent or you dont.

Exactly!

I know nobody said that abusive fathers was ok but how can you criticise two women bringing up a child in a loving relationship (a child that will more than likely be less prejudiced and open to different kinds of people because of it) when there are so many children trapped in abusive family situations?

I do believe however, that if you are fertile and can conceive and carry a child, but there is another issue (such as - single woman, sexuality etc) then you shouldn't receive the entire procedure on the NHS. However, for overweight women, I'm not sure, if their weight is going to pose a risk to carrying the child or giving birth they shouldn't be allowed IVF until they have lost weight.

As far as two women bringing up a child - I say go for it, you can't make more of a hash of it as some men do!

I understand that heterosexual women over 38 aren't entitled to IVF treatment on the NHS... surely they should come before Lesbian women of any age?

Where's the equality there?

No, lesbian women should have the same age constraints as heterosexual women.

At the end of the day, that's for health reasons not because people don't like women over 38. A lesbian woman over 38 shouldn't be allowed it on the NHS either.