Do you/ Would you live alone?

my bf lives alone and has done for the past 6 months - briefly his mate moved in but it caused problems cos his mate had a bird and took advantage that john was single so he dominated the living room etc!! and left pots everywhere!!! so john got him to move out and now he likes living on his own and says he loves geting home and having a bit of peace and quiet and watching what he wants on tv and cooking what he wants but he has the lads round a lot and i stop over couple of times a week so he gets a balance.

i live with my twin- we have lived in a house for 3 years and it great apart from the odd or not so odd occassional masiv row!!! its fun and i couldnt live alone- i hope to stay living in my current house for the forseable future cos i love it!!

Thanks everybody.

SUFC_Tom - You're right it will be a test of character! I think it'll be quite good though as I'll gain more independence!

xxx

Why don't you look to rent a small self contained flat within a large house? That way you have the privacy of your own flat, kitchen, bathroom etc etc but the security of knowing there are other people within the house.

Attic conversions are usually the best option for this with the obvious advantage of being pretty much impossible for anyone to break in.

I'd try round the Nether Edge, Broomhill areas as they have a lot of large spacious houses.

Good luck.

I'm hoping they've got it wrong (wouldn't be the first time eh?), so will be in touch. But yes, at the moment they want almost £95 a month the swines :rant:

:o You lot are getting fleeced in Sheffield, i've bought a 3 bed terrace with huge gardens, council tax £85 p/m! Might be something to do with the area (i don't think it's bad) though, our water is £145 per annum, my mother in law who lives a 2 min drive away in Wickersley is paying £260 per annum and she's a pensioner!

I've never lived alone, moved out of my parents house last september and moved down here to live with my partner, he's at home every night but it doesn't stop me worrying about burglars when the light goes off, don't like to say anything incase he thinks i'm being silly though :(

I'm sure you'll do fine on your own! Nothing better than a bit of freedom!

Why don't you look to rent a small self contained flat within a large house? That way you have the privacy of your own flat, kitchen, bathroom etc etc but the security of knowing there are other people within the house.

That would be perfect!

I'm going to view one that has its own kitchen, but shared bathroom which looks good!

Thank you xx

That would be perfect!

I'm going to view one that has its own kitchen, but shared bathroom which looks good!

Thank you xx

No problem!

The time has come to move out!

I'm still working out what I can afford but I'm wondering what it'd be like to live alone!

I'm not sure whether to live in a shared house because I'm worried I'd get a bit lonely lol, dont laugh! I love getting time to myself every now and then, and its not like people wouldnt be coming round to visit but I think I'd get a bit scared sleeping alone!!

Is anybody else the same?

ive lived alone and its no fun :( - i guess it really depends on money situation too as i found i couldnt afford to go out with mates anymore and there is a lot of stuff you have to buy that you dont even think about when first move out so i ended up stuck in house bored all the time and hated every minute of it.

if you not used to being alone then shared house is def the way forward but make sure that you get on really well with others first as its not much better if you arguing over the milk or living with someone who is playing stupidly loud music every night at 5am! if you all get on then can be loads on fun house sharing and is cheaper as share a lot of things and practical too if do things like taking turns to cook a meal etc as eating together is also much cheaper than cooking for one. If you do go for a shared house make sure that you each have individual contracts and not one between you as if someone wrecks the place or disappears without paying rent you would be liable for their share.

the only prob with having a self contained thing in witha bigger house is practically living with landlord which can also have its downsides so again make sure that you really get one with them first. someone i know was live-in tenent and fell out with owner and was told to get out there and then all over summat really stupid.

good luck

hazel xx

Guest Pauly

Get out there and enjoy your new found freedom. Try to avoid relaxing too much and lapsing into Slobsville though. ;)

I'd hate it! I love to be around people all the time! Cant wait til I get enough cash to move out again... get living with people my own age! :D

I tried it and hated it, I need someone to torment in my life.

Well, I've got my own place, but I do let out my rooms.

Occaisionally the house will be empty except for me, and I can't say I prefer either - other than when my mate lived with me, that was cool.

My double rom is empty at the minute H....;)

I would LOVE to live on my own !

I sometimes dream about it....usually when the kids are screaming, husband banging about or the Dogs are barking.

I've lived alone for two years now, and I absolutely love it. However this was after 7 years in either halls or shared houses, so I didn't go straight from parents to by myself. I think shared houses are a great compromise and a way of finding your feet before heading out alone. However, now I've lived alone I could never go back to a shared house (obviously excluding wanting to settle down and have a family one day) because I love having the level of privacy and space that I do now.

As Belinkabelle said the main problem with living alone is the cost. I've worked out I pay a premium of about £300 a month in order to live alone (based on how much better off I'd be if I took a lodger). The Council Tax is the only bill you get any kind of discount on, and as Belinkabelle says this is inexplicably set at 25% rather than 50%. Obviously you may use slightly less electricity and gas etc, but you're paying for all of it rather than it being split 3 ways (or whatever).