Sign in to follow this  

Home grown spuds - in time for Christmas!

I'm having a shot at growing some potatoes to harvest for Christmas dinner!

The tomato failure meant that I have a fair bit of room in the greenhouse, so I'm growing my tatties under glass - originally I planned to use large tubs, but then I spotted some 'pop up' garden bins (like these) selling for £4 each at Markham Grange (Doncaster) this weekend, so I thought I'd give those a try instead. I filled each bin with about 6in of compost, stood three tubers in each and then covered them with another 6in or so of compost. The spuds I'm trying are 'Nichola' - I got these from a reliable supplier south of the border (i.e. my mum :P)

Anyone else having a go at growing veggies to harvest over winter? I'll keep you up to date with how my efforts go!

EDIT: just noticed those bins at selling for £10.99 on that site - Yikes! I think a 'share special offers you've spotted' thread might be in order! :P

An update on this (and a question too! :)) - the potatoes I planted last fortnight have now come through the soil and some are a good 6in tall, so they are ready to be earthed up.

However, I planted three seed potatoes in each tub and of those, at least one in each tub is a little behind the others (i.e the shoots are just 3in or so). Is it OK to just earth up the taller shoots and cover over the smaller ones completely? Previously I've grown potatoes in the ground and have selectively earthed up individual plants as they became tall enough, so I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with spuds in tubs.. :help:

We grew potatoes in tubs this year LOOK but these were all ready together.

The one advantage I found between tub growing and soil growing is there is nothing in the tubs to eat the potatoes while they are growing, so every one was a winner.

Right, I'm convinced!

I saw some black plastic dustbins (with lids) for £6 at JTF wholesalers yesterday and am going back at the weekend for a couple.

Now - where can I get some unchitted Carlingford tatoes from? :confused:

An update on this (and a question too! :)) - the potatoes I planted last fortnight have now come through the soil and some are a good 6in tall, so they are ready to be earthed up.

However, I planted three seed potatoes in each tub and of those, at least one in each tub is a little behind the others (i.e the shoots are just 3in or so). Is it OK to just earth up the taller shoots and cover over the smaller ones completely? Previously I've grown potatoes in the ground and have selectively earthed up individual plants as they became tall enough, so I'm a bit stumped as to what to do with spuds in tubs.. :help:

I'd probably be tempted to keep the top leaves exposed of the shorter plants, or they may become blanched (yellow) with lack of light.

And it's the green in the leaf cells that turn sunlight into plantfood.

Give them a nitrogen based feed (lawn feed) & it should give them a quick growth spurt in the stem department :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: I'm going to just earth them up to the tops of the shorter plants this afternoon - I guess that's still about 3 / 4in of earthing up but it does mean the little ones won't be completely covered.

I'll give the lawn feed a shot and let you know how they get on!

I love your spud photo Viking, the plants all look so healthy.