Telewest and Hard Drive Recorders

I'm thinking of buying one of those combi DVD/HDD recorders, something like this.

However, my problem is that I want twin-tuners, so I can record and watch at the same time. I want to be able to watch one Telewest channel while recording from another. I don't think this is possible with most, as they include their own Freeview recievers to record from, and if the connextion between my Telewest box and HDD was simply SCART, I don't see how it could split the signal.

Is it possible to use the Telewest signal in this way? BTW, I'm not interested in their own service, TVDrive, because the monthy fee is ridiculous.

I don't know about Telewest but I've got an Inverto digibox with 80Gb hard drive which allows you to record 2 programs simultaneously. This is through a single scart, plus you can watch a recorded program while recording 2 others. However, it doesn't allow recording to dvd but you can archive recordings to seperate dvd or vcr boxes

Inverto digibox

A freeview box? Because I don't want a HDD integrated with Freeview, I want a HDD that can record from my existing box.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood your requirements.

You cannot split a telewest box in this way, unless you can get a 'cable (telewest)' compatable 'tuner' then you would need a coaxil splitter for the cable that comes into your house to split into the tuner..

however, unfortunatly, you cannot just buy compatable devices on the market...

TVDrive is only a tenner a month subscription and you get the hardware chucked in. It also has 3 tuners so you can record 2 channels while watching a 3rd.

TVDrive is only a tenner a month subscription and you get the hardware chucked in. It also has 3 tuners so you can record 2 channels while watching a 3rd.

£10 a month soon adds up. Plus I would prefer to actually own the hardware, as opposed to what is really renting.

£10 a month soon adds up. Plus I would prefer to actually own the hardware, as opposed to what is really renting.

I don't think the TVDrive thing allows you to copy stuff off the HD onto a PC/DVD recorder, either:(.

The TVDrive does have an output to DVD/VHS option but I've not used it yet. Personally can't complain at £120/year for the TVDrive service but each to their own :)

When you can get stand alone Hard Drive recorders for less than £60...

They may not have triple tuners, but you also get it for more than a year.

When you can get stand alone Hard Drive recorders for less than £60...

They may not have triple tuners, but you also get it for more than a year.

Thats as maybe, but theres no other way to do what youre trying to do. You cant just buy a telewest tuner, nor can you split the signal from your existing box to allow you to tune it to 2 channels at once.

Get Sky + then, as with that, and your Sky box itself YOU actually own the hardware once you've bought it, you don't just lease it from Sky, like you do with Telewest.

Only trouble with that is that if anything goes wrong, it's a £60 call out fee to even get them in your house never mind charges for actually fixing your box :rant: