Fungi Foray - Saturday 14th October - Glen Howe

Is it flat? :hihi:

not flat, more undulating than mega steep hills but good paths all the way! Don`t think its more than 8 miles, if that & goes thro a couple of nice villages (Wortley and Howbrook)

Bump! I got bored so I thought I'd be an interfering busy body and foist the bus timetable on you all so there's no excuse not to go on this splendid excursion!

No idea where we're supposed to get off! :hihi:

Car drivers look away now!

Also of interest up that way is Avalon's group's website, though I don't know how near the line we'll be in Glen Howe Park. Runs off to look....

No idea where we're supposed to get off! :hihi:

once you've passed through Oughtibridge there is about a mile before Wharncliffe side.

The first stop in Wharncliffe Side is outside the paper factory. The second is just after the Wharncliffe Arms pub and the third is outside the Blue Ball pub.

It is the second stop you need. Looking back you should then see a sign directing you to Glen Howe

What a shame - it is over the other side of Sheffield to me and by the time I got there with Mr Parcher, who is an avid mushroom forager, you would all be on your way back. (and I will be at an exhibition anyway!)

For some reason, this year, our favourite haunts round the Killamarsh area are devoid of mushrooms. :sad:

Purdy - I tried the bus timetable link but am getting an error message. Could you tell me what time the bus goes from bus station in town to get to the magic mushrooms for 10 ?

Purdy - I tried the bus timetable link but am getting an error message. Could you tell me what time the bus goes from bus station in town to get to the magic mushrooms for 10 ?

That's strange. I wonder why it's doing that. :confused:

Easy to remember though. The 57 and 58 alternate, every 15 minutes. They leave at 00, 15, 30 and 45 minutes past the hour from the interchange. The journey to Wharnecliffe Side takes half an hour, so 9.15 will get there at 9.45 (giving a bit of time to find the flippin' place.) :)

hello!

this sounds cool just a couple of questions:

- how long do you intend to be out for?

- can anyone post a link to a map or give a postcode/streetname that i can identify glen howe park by? im struggling trying to find it and im not that familiar with the wharncliffe/deepcar area!

Try google maps using postcode S35 0DW. This should take you to Storth Lane in Wharncliffe Side - the car park is at the end of this.

You can walk there from the Blue Ball pub south along the main road, up School Lane, via the footpath over the brook into the Park, or the stop before that and straight up Green Lane. The 57 at 9:30 should get there just before 10!

Cheers beck!!

The walk should last 2 hours, 2 and a half tops.