What Do You Grow?

WHAT PLANTS DO PEOPLE GROW AT HOME TO START THE BALL ROLLING HERE IS MY JUNGLE GARDEN AS YOU CAN SEE I LIKE TO GROW EXOTICS

myexotics.jpg

This year I concentrated on getting my vegetable patch going, which meant that I did very little in the rest of the garden other than getting some alpines for around the pond edge.

I grew some sweet peas from seed, but they didn't fare very well. I am hoping to spend some more time on growing non edible plants next year though!

What are those two huge plants next to the conservatory window Craig? What sort of size did they start off at?

This year I've done precisely nothing in the garden. When I'd just moved in, I concentrated on getting the soil into a decent enough condition to start planting - it's very heavy clay and required lots of organic matter and sand for it to be even half decent.

The first thing I grew was sweet peas. I planted them indoors in root trainers then put them outside in a coldframe. I transferred them to open soil when they were about 12" tall, planting them up against cane wigwams. I also grew a few miniature varieties for hanging baskets.

I grew poppies and cornflowers from seed (planting them straight out into the soil), plus loads of different types of pansies and violas for tubs, and to plant between the sweet pea wigwams.

EDIT: Here are a few photos: 1 2 3 4

What are those two huge plants next to the conservatory window Craig? What sort of size did they start off at?

one is a musa basjoo hardy japanese banana i have grown it from seed about five years ago

the other one is a tracycarpus fortunei palm i got it when it was about a foot high about 10 years ago

The tubs look fab Hecate! :thumbsup: We have loads of empty planters in our garden at the moment, next year my mission to try and fill them! (hmm, those 'next year' jobs are racking up fast :suspect: )

I can't believe you grew that huge plant from seed Craig, and managed to get it through five Sheffield winters! That's really impressive.

I grew most of my fruit / vegetable plants from seed this year - cucumber (telegraph improved), spinach, carrots, broccoli, peppers ad chillis. I'll try and get some pictures of my garden on here soon too. We have a huge plant in our front garden (actually, it pretty much *is* the front garden) but I have absolutely no idea what it is... that's a whole other thread though!

Im a poppy fetishist, I love to grow poppies. Im also madly in love with water lillies.

The tubs look fab Hecate! :thumbsup: We have loads of empty planters in our garden at the moment, next year my mission to try and fill them! (hmm, those 'next year' jobs are racking up fast :suspect: )

I can't believe you grew that huge plant from seed Craig, and managed to get it through five Sheffield winters! That's really impressive.

I grew most of my fruit / vegetable plants from seed this year - cucumber (telegraph improved), spinach, carrots, broccoli, peppers ad chillis. I'll try and get some pictures of my garden on here soon too. We have a huge plant in our front garden (actually, it pretty much *is* the front garden) but I have absolutely no idea what it is... that's a whole other thread though!

all i do is wrap it in horticultural fleece heres what it looks like when i unwrap it you can just see it starting into growth

Picture018.jpg

but after a while it turns into

basjoo.jpg

Oh, I forgot about our water lillies! We have two or three plants in the pond - they look absolutely stunning in the summer when all of the flowers are open. My OH got up at 5am one morning to complete a set of time lapse photographs of the lillies opening in the sun - makes a great little video when you link them all altogether :)

Oh, I forgot about our water lillies! We have two or three plants in the pond - they look absolutely stunning in the summer when all of the flowers are open. My OH got up at 5am one morning to complete a set of time lapse photographs of the lillies opening in the sun - makes a great little video when you link them all altogether :)

I have a pond here thats overflowing with lillies, theyre constantly sending out runners.

I hate to kill them so I give them to friends and neighbours for their ponds. Next year Im hoping to get hold of several tall tubs and fill them with water, have them arranged around the garden and fill them with lillies.