Sign in to follow this  

How do YOU deal with slugs and snails?

I was worried about the pellets because i have lots of frogs and toads in the garden so i tried to use them sparingly.

After reading that they arent bad for the wildlife im going to be using more.

The snails here are the size of bloody housebricks.

We've tried beer,wev'e tried salt and sand, we've even tried the soluble stuff you water on the plants but the best method we've found,unfortunately is waiting till its wet or damp and picking them up by hand. Its not pleasent but after several days of this we just about got rid of them all!!

Oh yukkk what do you do with them? :gag:

My missus feeds them! She loves the things. Strange woman.

Snails get lobbed into next doors garden! (Its empty at the moment, so I can get away with it!) Slugs get a-salted! Generally, I sprinkle pellets around their favourite plants but mostly I grow something they don't like. I did try beer traps once but although I caught a lot of slugs, I also drowned a baby frog. I felt so dreadful about that that I took up the traps immediately. In the past, I have used grapefruit skins turned cut side down but it is seriously disgusting having to dispose of the slugs that congregate inside (and next door might notice grapefruit skins sailing over the fence!):suspect:

Lets face it - Sheffield is full of the blighters :suspect:

So what method do you use to prevent them from chomping through your plants?

I usually use the beer trap method - just shallow glass jars, with beer dregs in them, and the horrid little things can't keep out :P

Sometimes the path gets a good salting - if they're out in force

Funilly enough, the slug/snail population seems to have dwindled of late, but our wild bird population seems to have increased, and I'm wondering if the two are related

egg shell around your plants are good :thumbsup:

or get a pop bottle, cut it in half. dig a hole the same depth of the bottle, pour some beer about halfway up the bottle, rub some oil around the top half then place in the whole. this will attract the slugs and snails they will then fall in and be able to get back out due to the oiled edges :D

put them in the compost, they eat each other!

I was going to ask about that, my compost bin is full of rotting waste and slugs (huge things)....surely all its doing is creating a breeding ground for the blighters

Gordon ramsey has a delicious recipy making very good use of the garden snail. ssssssshhhhhhhhlllllluuuuuuuurrrrrppppppp :thumbsup:

I was going to ask about that, my compost bin is full of rotting waste and slugs (huge things)....surely all its doing is creating a breeding ground for the blighters

Apparently not. They're so happy in the compost bin munching all the goodies that they dont bother to come out and eat your plants. They die happy, fat and the eggs just die off..... I can't remember why but the eggs can't survive the compost bin.

Slugs n snails eggs will die off owing to the heat of the compost, however on the edges of the compost eggs will most certainly thrive.. they do in mine!

I chuck any I find into my council green waste bin - they can munch all they want and the council can sort them :)

Slugs get salted, Snails get put into the green garden waste bin:suspect:

Gordon ramsey has a delicious recipy making very good use of the garden snail. ssssssshhhhhhhhlllllluuuuuuuurrrrrppppppp :thumbsup:

You can eat `em? Theres a recipe?