Do you compost?

If i were in your position id clear an area of ground and dig the stuff in.

Just keep adding it and digging it in, the worms will do the work and youll soon start to have more than enough spare soil to spread around.

Thats what i used to do before i got the composter.

My garden is only 15'x12' and is mostly comprised of roots from a large old apple tree so digging any sort of hole is very hard- and the same applies to holes as to digging out compost bins (spades are very two-armed things). I employ a gardener to come and do things like digging for me.

I'm really not trying to make excuses (no, really!), but I'm stuck for a workable solution. Thank you for your attempt Jabberwocky.

Ah, small garden syndrome ;)

We had one 14.5ft x 27ft (ish)

If you desparately want to compost, there are various rotating designs. some on legs that tumble about their centre, top over bottom, and some you just roll around the garden

My garden is only 15'x12' and is mostly comprised of roots from a large old apple tree so digging any sort of hole is very hard- and the same applies to holes as to digging out compost bins (spades are very two-armed things). I employ a gardener to come and do things like digging for me.

I'm really not trying to make excuses (no, really!), but I'm stuck for a workable solution. Thank you for your attempt Jabberwocky.

I came to this thread from a search (:thumbsup: )for wormeries,as I don't have a garden,just a yard and greenhouse but I am looking into a wormery for kitchen waste.The advantage is they take up a small space and seem relatively easy to maintain.

I'm in a position of having either very little to put in to compost (for most of the time) or having HUGE amounts to put in (when the privet hedge is cut), and nothing in between. I also can't find anywhere to put a compost bin, and having tried with other people's bins, would have great problems turning the compost, as spades tend to take 2 arms.

So I reluctantly came to the decision that I couldn't find a way of making composting work for my house. I would be interested in any other thoughts on making composting work for me though, as I'd like to think of prolems as not being insurmountable.

Medusa,

Would you be able to get a community compost scheme going? Is there a small patch of land in your neighbourhood that could be used?

We have a big garden (and two allotments - the word 'masochists' springs to mind) so we have plenty of room for our home-made bins (made form wooden pallets, doors etc). We could use more compost though and so I now collect compost form work (amazing how much fruit people get through in a week) and I'm planning on asking people on the street who don't compost to save it for us.

Is there the possibility of doing this where you live? We're in hippy Meersbrook where this kind of thing is perfectly normal. Heeley city farm used to collect organic 'waste' from the local streets until the BSE debacle. I think the future is 'local'. Be a good way to build community relations too.

Now I'm confused, is ladies wee wee no good for compost or just plants?

We were fortunate enough to have inherited an old chicken coop with the allotment, which we overturned and made into a compost bin (it had long since lost it's roof). We collect all the veg stuff in a caddy at home and take it every time we're at the lotty.

The other thing is to add paper (you can add newspaper, we do a bit, but apparently be careful of the ink - can you shed light on that Don?) and if you can get it, leaf mold is ace. In fact, I was scavenging the leaves at the start of winter from Weston Park! And every time anything is added, I give it all a good turn before the carpet goes back on. Nothing better than watching the worms!

Going back to using wee as an activator... how often should you pee on the compost heap? Is once a week too much?

Going back to using wee as an activator... how often should you pee on the compost heap? Is once a week too much?

Yes, get back to wee, I want to know if girlies wee wee is ok on the compost!

I know several ladies who wee on their compost (not directly) and have reported nothing peculiar. I wouldn't have thought there was much difference - I'll ask someone who will definitely know and get back to the list...

Now I'm confused, is ladies wee wee no good for compost or just plants?

:hihi: Yes ladies can wee in their composters - so long as they don't do themselves a mischief :hihi:

The process of decomposition sorts out the minerals in the wee.

Some plants are too tender to have wee directed upon them directly.

As for frequecy of *cough "application" - I don't think you can overdo it.

Repeated addition af any cold liquid will briefly/temporarily slow the composting process. Either add a bucketfull at once or add while still warm :gag: to avoid the repeated 'chill factor'.

:hihi: Yes ladies can wee in their composters - so long as they don't do themselves a mischief :hihi:

The process of decomposition sorts out the minerals in the wee.

Some plants are too tender to have wee directed upon them directly.

As for frequecy of *cough "application" - I don't think you can overdo it.

Repeated addition af any cold liquid will briefly/temporarily slow the composting process. Either add a bucketfull at once or add while still warm :gag: to avoid the repeated 'chill factor'.

Glad you answered this Don, my source seemed reluctant to discuss the matter:confused: