Do you compost?

Are there any compost bins (in Sheffield) that are free?

I think it's stupid that you have to pay to help the environment.

Are there any compost bins (in Sheffield) that are free?

I think it's stupid that you have to pay to help the environment.

Could you make your own? I'm not sure why we moved away form the traditional compost heap to putting organic matter in plastic bins (anyone know?). In Sheffield where gardens are often tiny I suppose the issue is room but the cheap bins are not great because they aren't insulated and it's virtually impossible to turn the rotting matter. I'm sure you could build a vertical bin out of skip raided wood - it'd be great fun too designing it so that you could turn the contents.

The best bin I ever saw was at the Centre for Alternative Technology. They used an old chest freezeer (made holes in the bottom for drainage). It's really effective because it's really well insulated so the temperature gets really high.

But in answer to your question no I don't know of any free sources. Aren't they only a fiver though? If at the moment you buy peat-free multipurpose compost then you'll recoup the money in a year or two by producing your own.

Could you make your own? I'm not sure why we moved away form the traditional compost heap to putting organic matter in plastic bins (anyone know?). In Sheffield where gardens are often tiny I suppose the issue is room but the cheap bins are not great because they aren't insulated and it's virtually impossible to turn the rotting matter. I'm sure you could build a vertical bin out of skip raided wood - it'd be great fun too designing it so that you could turn the contents.

Making one? Really...? :loopy::hihi:

Only joking - I'm just lazy.

I've got a new compost bin today! I'm so excited!

If anyone would like vegetable compost I have quite a bit of vegetable waste each week which I'd be happy for an allotment gardener to take if they want. PM me for more info

andco,

where do you live?

where's your allotment based & if you need more info please can we take this to PMland Cheers

As an addendum to my offer, I dont have a car and you'd therefore have to arrange collection.

I have been composting for exactly a year and 2 months since I took over a plot on the hagg house allotments. I have been carrying down a box of scrap veg waste nearly every week, I emptied 2 sacks of horse manure in there, a large bag of leaves and a lot of allotment waste plants. I decided to use this compost on the allotment at the weekend to find I had about 1 cubic foot of compost after all that effort.

I admit it was good stuff though, crammed with red worms but not even enough for one raised bed. Think I might get some manure delivered!!

Just started composting today:banana:

Bet I end up bringing my banana skins home from work so I can compost 'em!

The Low-Impact Living Initiative will be running a course on Advanced Composting on 4th October at Heeley City Farm.

I've got a new compost bin today! I'm so excited!

I was really excited when I got mine as well!!

Mine has mainly got fruit and veg peelings in. I do try and keep adding the 'brown' ingredients. Also, I had loads of the fruit flies at first. I assume they will return when the weather gets warmer??

I turned mine yesterday (for the first time) and it is all rotting but is really slimey. Also there are no worms in there either.

From all of the advice on this thread, I am going to start putting more brown in and looking for worms to add. Is there anything else I need to do? (not really prepared to pee on it though)