Do you compost?

try turning it more. Needs lots of oxygen. Other than that it's more carbon and less nitrogrn (leafy stuff). Are you keeping the rain out?

try turning it more. Needs lots of oxygen. Other than that it's more carbon and less nitrogrn (leafy stuff). Are you keeping the rain out?

Yes, I have got one of those big plastic bins. The lid blows off ocassionally but I always put it back on.

I know it sounds daft but I did not realise it would be quite such a science!

I got one of those bins from the council too, pretty good value really and you get a free small bin to keep in the kitchen for peelings, tea bags etc. I've had mine for about 2 months now and I love it! It doesn't smell and it's a great way of reducing the waste I put out for collection every week. I've been putting in fruit and veg waste, tea bags, card and paper. Also, I put some garden waste in - old plants and leaves etc. So far though, it's all just sitting there like a rubbish dump - nothing seems to be happening at all. Hopefully heat in the summer will change that though? I found a couple of worms and chucked them in too :) My lid kept blowing off too but I put a couple of bricks on top and now it's very sturdy!

My question is, do you stop putting stuff in for a bit and wait for it all to turn to compost? Or are you supposed to try and get the compost out the bottom whilst stuff that hasn't decomposed is still on top?

I got one of those bins from the council too, pretty good value really and you get a free small bin to keep in the kitchen for peelings, tea bags etc. I've had mine for about 2 months now and I love it! It doesn't smell and it's a great way of reducing the waste I put out for collection every week. I've been putting in fruit and veg waste, tea bags, card and paper. Also, I put some garden waste in - old plants and leaves etc. So far though, it's all just sitting there like a rubbish dump - nothing seems to be happening at all. Hopefully heat in the summer will change that though? I found a couple of worms and chucked them in too :) My lid kept blowing off too but I put a couple of bricks on top and now it's very sturdy!

My question is, do you stop putting stuff in for a bit and wait for it all to turn to compost? Or are you supposed to try and get the compost out the bottom whilst stuff that hasn't decomposed is still on top?

Just keep adding it on to the top. If you wait 6 months to a year you'l get some compost out the bottom. Better if you can turn it though; lift the whole bin off and start pilling it back in so what was on the top is now on the bottom (adding cardboard, straw, leaves etc if its too wet). Composting is an aerobic process (needs oxygen) so turning is very beneficial. This is one of the drawbacks of the dalek bins - not so easy to turn.

Glad you're getting into it. We're now collecting kitchen waste form 6 other houses on the road to try to produce more compost for our allotment (made our bins out of old palettes nailed together, easy to turn). By the way the worms that normally find their way into compost bins (if its on earth that is) are tiger worms. Not sure what earthworms will do but they'll probably be quite happy and help out too (as will slugs and woodlice :love:)

I regularly have 12 kg of carrot pulp and other veg waste. Doesnt anyone want to take this off my hands. Seems a crying shame to chuck it in the weekly collection.

my boys arrive on monday :love:

i have a 128ltr wormery, have to give them 2 weeks to settle in then it will we will be away!

andco why not have a wormery, they can take care of your carrot peelings for you :)

I dont do any gardening & I cant stand worms, slugs or the like. By the way what's a wormery??? Cant do any composting here because I've created a mother & father of a stink about my neighbour's compost heap which stank to high hell & back.

Which part of the council do I contact to get a cheap composting bin?

Which part of the council do I contact to get a cheap composting bin?

Order online at:

http://www.recyclenow.com/compost

enter your postcode and it will show you the offers for your local authority

I dont do any gardening & I cant stand worms, slugs or the like. By the way what's a wormery??? Cant do any composting here because I've created a mother & father of a stink about my neighbour's compost heap which stank to high hell & back.

i cant stand worms either, but needing to get rid of my compostable waste without the need for a compost bin.

a wormery is a container with worms in and they eat my waste.

i didnt have to touch the worms when i set it up they have been out there 2 days now will i'll be able to start feeding them my household stuff in about 12 more days (they are on worm food at the min)

We have had a worm farm for 4 months now and they don't seem to touch much of the veg peelings we put in - I am putting it down to it being cold and them being less active in the winter !! thats my theory anyway !! I am hoping they will start muching the carrot peelings soon !!!

They are still moving about in the container so they are not dead before anyone asks !!

I admit it was good stuff though, crammed with red worms but not even enough for one raised bed. Think I might get some manure delivered!!

Did you get any delivered in the end?