The Peak District

There are loads of good pubs in the Peak District. You could try:

The Castle (Castleton)

The George (Tideswell)

The Red Lion (Litton)

The Yorkshire Bridge (Bamford)

The Cheshire Cheese (Castleton)

THis list is by no means exhaustive. There are many good ones. You really need a car though as public transport in the Peak District is very poor and you could end up either having to rush a meal in order to catch a bus or even getting stuck out there.

Public Transport in the Peaks isn't that poor.

Not sure about all those places but it's pretty easy to get to and from Castleton by bus, and Hope and Edale have stations with a regular train service

Careful with parking your car and going walking around Fox House it used to be a favourite place for the mongrels to break into your car whilst you were safely away walking.....I don't know if it's still as bad

Originally posted by Jayne

Public Transport in the Peaks isn't that poor.

Not sure about all those places but it's pretty easy to get to and from Castleton by bus, and Hope and Edale have stations with a regular train service

I thought buses were only about 1 per hour or even less.

There looked like there were lots of buses running too and from when I went, and the trains seem good too. We ended up going to Ladybower and did a circular walk. Very beautiful. Tried to eat at Fox Houses but there was a two hour wait and our hungry stomachs couldn't hack it! Went to The Travellers Rest (near Hope), which was lovely. Really spacious and nice to eat food without feeling you were evesdropping on the next tables conversation.

Sunday we went to a little National Trust place (no idea where).

Thanks for the advice. Going to try some of the other places over the summer. My parents enjoyed it so much they've booked a holiday :)

I went with a friend to Castleton on saturday at the end of April and is was a sunny day. I was amazed how relaxing is was to go up the "mountains", walk among the sheeps and just listen... you can here a pretty good silence, no cars, no wind and even the sheeps were silent for a moment !

I'm planning to go there again and do the underground boat trip :D

It's only one hour by bus and if you are on the second deck, you have a pretty good view of all the peak...really amazing how the scenery is different from the border of sheffield to castleton.

So buses are only one an hour? How many do you want?

If you're going out into Derbyshire for the day walking, surely you'll plan the day accordingly.