Gordon Tools - Rockingham Street

Did Anyone Work At Gordon Tools On Rockingham Street,off West Street Around The 60s To 70s.my Dad Worked There His Name Was Roy Wilkinson, And Would Like Any Info. Thanks

My wifes father worked at Gordon Tools. Jim Beaver. he was a stamper. he used to make spanner with the steam driven stamper. I'll ask if he rememebers your old man.

Did Anyone Work At Gordon Tools On Rockingham Street,off West Street Around The 60s To 70s.my Dad Worked There His Name Was Roy Wilkinson, And Would Like Any Info. Thanks

Did not work there.

The products were excellent my father had a superb socket set real quality.

You find it difficult to get quality today with all the cheap foreign crap.

Hello W Wilkinson, I worked at Gordon's in the early 70's I used to shotbast the spanners and sockets after they had been salt hardened. Had some good times there till I got sacked for sneaking to the pub at Christmas time, well I was still clocked in. I was only 19/20 when I worked there and had never heard women swear as much as the buffers did, used to say to me pass me those f*****g spanners son and then gave me some spice for passing them. One saturday morning while pretending to maintenance work one of the women on packing said do you want some tea, of course I did nearly choked it was half whisky. My stepfather worked on the salt hardening his name as Bill Ward, he used to do 12hour shifts on it. His brother worked there too his name was Richard Ward and was the firms painter, Richard's wife worked in the packing dept her name was Irene. Both Bill and Richard have passed away don't know about Irene though. After work used to go in the Grapes round the corner with Roy who worked on the plating plant and a girl I think was called Helga?.

I was the chauffeur for Mr Gordon (Wilson) in 1963, just before I came to Canada. The Rolls had a brick garage in the yard between the packing department and the spanner shop. Don't remember anybody from either place. I heard Mr Gordon died shortly after I left. Dixie Wilson, Mr Gordon's daughter, worked across West Street in the 'fitted case' dept, his son Tommy, I heard, took over the company after his dad died. I think there was a Tony Wilson, brother, and a brother in law, who hired me. Very good hand tools, I got a set for free!

Never worked there but used Gordons gland pliers that were the best at the time, so much so that we called all gland pliers 'Gordons' in the same way that cleaners are all called 'Hoovers'. Excellent tools.

My wifes father worked at Gordon Tools. Jim Beaver. he was a stamper. he used to make spanner with the steam driven stamper. I'll ask if he rememebers your old man.

Yes please do I remember my dad talking about someone call Jim, maybe it was your father in law

Asked my mum about Jim Beavers she says he will know my dad,did he ride a moterbike possibly with a side car?. Also she remembers someone called Marriot,please reply back with any info. thanks

Hi,

Its nice to hear so many happy memories and stories about Gordon's Tools. Gordon was my Grandfather who I, unfortunately, never had the chance to meet. I'll ask my father, Tom, to visit this thread - I'm sure it will make him smile.

Joshua

my dad worked at Gordon tools and knew Roy Wilkinson, my dads name is Dave Radford (a toolmaker in the forge toolroom)

Andy

I was a big friend of Dixie Wilson in the 60's. I knew all the family well. They used to come to Filey all the time and I spent many a happy hour with them all. Dixie used to come and pick me up in the Rolls when she was able to have it and we would go for a drive laughing our heads off. Mrs Wilson would go and pick up fish and chips in the Rolls with her hair in rollers and wearing a white mink coat. When it was Dixie's 21st Birthday - the family gave her a white MGB GT with gold plated keys all tied up in a pink ribbon. The morning after the lavish "do" we went for a drive round Dore - it was realy living. I myself came from a very humble background but it didn't matter to the Wilson's - they took people a face value. I moved down south and lost touch with Dixie. Just recently when I saw a friend from the past - he told me Dixie had died in her 40's. Does anyone know if this is tru?

I was a big friend of Dixie Wilson in the 60's. I knew all the family well. They used to come to Filey all the time and I spent many a happy hour with them all. Dixie used to come and pick me up in the Rolls when she was able to have it and we would go for a drive laughing our heads off. Mrs Wilson would go and pick up fish and chips in the Rolls with her hair in rollers and wearing a white mink coat. When it was Dixie's 21st Birthday - the family gave her a white MGB GT with gold plated keys all tied up in a pink ribbon. The morning after the lavish "do" we went for a drive round Dore - it was realy living. I myself came from a very humble background but it didn't matter to the Wilson's - they took people a face value. I moved down south and lost touch with Dixie. Just recently when I saw a friend from the past - he told me Dixie had died in her 40's. Does anyone know if this is tru?

Yes I remember the fishing trips where no fish were ever caught. and the Union Jack flying when GW was in residence in Filey.

I was also a "regular" at the Grapes on Trippet Lane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you remember Tommy on the Tulip Rally?