Sign in to follow this  

Allotment Pics and newbie tips

Well, we've been proud owners of our plot on Hagg Lane for oh, 2 weeks!* after a 6 month wait and nagging the council, we finally got our space, albeit overgrown by some 2-3 years!

The site was chest height in weeds, and has been a nightmare to try clear.* Even better, whoever had it last did the usual thing of putting down carpet, which is great to prevent weeds, but is 10 layers REALLY necessary!? Anyway, the photos can be seen on the link below- as you can tell we've had help (we're the whippersnappers)!* So far we've cleared maybe 2/3rds of the plot and will be clearing some more this weekend.* The pics aren't in chronological order, but I think you can see the before and afters!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bramford-hale/sets/72157594245501793/

One thing everyone says but it is sooo true:* employ anyone, friends, family, cats (ours has been useless!).* Look for a site with good buildings, ours is ace.* Oh, and if you're as scared of spiders as i am, be warned!

Hi Zweena, liked the photos, keep honing those supervisory techniques and your plot will be producing in no time!. Many years ago I took on a plot at High Storrs that hadn't been worked for years. Having cleared it we found the whole lot was on clay without any topsoil. We stuck with it for 4 years before admitting defeat. But I still hanker after growing my own fruit and veg. The best of luck with your plot, at least you're near the stables for lots of lovely manure:thumbsup:

Looking back I think where we went wrong was to tackle the whole thing at once. Better to clear and cultivate a bit at a time, then you get to see the fruits of your labour sooner, and are less likely to get discouraged.