Welcome to the SF Allotment and Gardening Group!

I have also started to use plants that look tropical as its expensive to use just tropical plants. I have some hardy palm trees that managed to survive last winter. I have purchased a small palm from a hobby keeper in Wentworth who imports and grows from seed. He sells on ebay.

I cut my bananas down to the ground each year now and let them shoot again. They only grow to about four or five foot in a season but I can leave them in the ground. If I cover them uo and they get damaged they go slimey and don't grow as fast the next season. I cut my ginger down each year and move it into an outbuilding. I re pot it about April and put it in the greenhouse until the end of May. I used to treat my cannas in the same way but after 9 yeas they were looking bad due to a virus so I need new stock. I move a big pot of bird of paradise into an outbuilding for winter.

Aloes and such like are kept in pots and moved into an outbuilding over winter. Some can tolerate lower temperatures than others if you keep them bone dry when it cold. If the main plants die you can usually take the tiny plats growing from the roots and start again.

I have lots of succulents but the key is to select ones that are most hardy and keep them bone dry when its cold.

another thing to perhaps try is a hot manure bed ... they used to grow pineapples in them in Victorian times in / outside those fabulous glass houses that you see in Stately home gardens. I think they used to put fresh manure (a lot) in the bottom of the bed and then add straw to keep the soil toasty.

I've grown sweet potatoes under black fabric before and managed to get a reasonable crop. Chillies grow well in the UK under glass.

You might want to consider opening a new thread as people are more likely to read that rather than the welcome thread :)

Hi im new here... im interested in getting a garden allotment to grow some fruit and veg, my problem at the moment is finding an allotment to rent or buy I live in the s35 worrall Oughtibridge area. Can anyone help?

Hi im new here... im interested in getting a garden allotment to grow some fruit and veg, my problem at the moment is finding an allotment to rent or buy I live in the s35 worrall Oughtibridge area. Can anyone help?

Have you tried Landshare?

http://www.landshare.net/