Teething megathread - ouch!

A carrot, which has been cooled down lots in the fridge helped my two. Gives them something cool to bite down on.

have you tried that herbal powder stuff from boots? white packet

looks a bit dodgy drug like (white powder in wrapped paper)when you take it out, but it works wonders

If it's really bad you could also try using both calpol and calprofen in rotation...calprofen, then calpol 3 hours later, then calprofen 3 hours after that. The caprofen (Ibuprofen) is better at dealing with swelling...together they work well.

The powders are called Teetha, and heaven knows why they work, but they do seem to.

Good luck!

PS it's me, cosy! Accidentally logged in as husband...

My little lad is 7 months old and getting his second tooth (bottom front), when the first tooth came through around 2 weeks ago he had a bad cold and now the second one is making an appearance he has a cold again. Just wondering if any parents believe there is a link between cold symptoms and teething?

He's had the cold twice before when he was much younger (and not teething) and it did seem different in that he was much more ill and miserable. The last two colds which have come at the same time as a tooth seem to give him a cough and runny nose but he seems less sickly....if that makes any sense?!!

Teething can come with a number of symptoms, and the cold one is quite normal. They can also get tummyache and diarrhea (sp). Nothing odd about your child :)

Monsterbaby is always having a really snotty nose when he is teething, sometimes accompanied by a cough too. But he is not as grumpy as when he has a cold (differently moody though).

He is also (now that he is on solids) constipated when he is teething. Before he was on solids he just had green poo.

As cosywolf says loads of symptoms for teething babies and rarely two are the same.

Thanks that's a relief - was beginning to blame myself for taking him places where he was obviously picking up so many colds.

Had terrible night with him last night, hubby and I must have only got 3-4 hours kip because the little one wouldn't stop crying. Hubby took him for a drive at 8am this morning so I could have a break but what makes it all worse is that's it's the baby's christening today - gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Going to try and get some calprofen (sp?) for him today, if he's old enough to take it. Hate seeing him this miserable.

Would not worry about taking him to places where he is picking up colds.

Sure, we do not like to see our babies suffer, but at the end of the day they have to build up their immune system so that is the perfect chance.

Isn't teething a nightmare!!!!!

Had my four month old son in the best routine you could ask for. In bed for 8 o clock and not up until 7 the next morning. I finally had my evenings back at 11 weeks old. But now he's teething and he's getting up nearly 3 times in the night. Anyone got any tips or suggestions to help stop him being in as much pain with it, I've tried anbesol and the teething rings.

Ashton and Parsons teething powder. Its herbal so you can give as many as you like

Ashton and Parsons teething powder. Its herbal so you can give as many as you like

Will I be able to get it from holland and barret?

I have heard the teething powders are good too, though not tried them yet. My dentist said not to use teething gels, bonjela etc unless its a one off if they cant feed or sleep, as it traps bacteria & can make the situation worse :rolleyes: