Is this a nice place to live? What are the schools like?

Depends what you are after, really, lindsey. I have done some work up there and the people are really nice and friendly. There is a community centre which people have a lot of pride in. However, it's a bit grim and gritty and there are an awful lot of boarded-up houses. I gather there is trouble too. It's the only place in Sheffield where I've seen a hexagonal newsagent's reinforced on all 6 sides with metal grilles.

The schools are Arbouthorne Primary and Myrtle Springs (I think) which don't do terribly well in the league tables, if you believe that sort of thing. On the other hand, I know people who have taught at Myrtle Springs who say it has a lot going for it.

Doing my best to be even-handed here, but if you're buying, I wouldn't choose to live at Arbourthorne.

Originally posted by lindseygail

Its fantastic. I'd live there in a second. If only the damn house prices round there weren't so astronomical.

Two very different opinions! Which should I believe?

Two very different opinions! Which should I believe?

I was being sarcastic (I know, lowest form of wit), sorry, so believe the 1st.

It all depends on whether your renting or buying! I would imagine the council housing stock would be easy enough to get hold of although I could be proved wrong!. If you want to buy then I would suggest that you have a look carefully around the area as some bits are better than others. Alternatives near by are Gleadless and Intake areas both very popular with good access to schools and public transport systems but inevitably more expensive.

Its an awful place, your kids will be dooomed to a life of glue sniffing and stealing cars...

Possibly a little harsh but only a little!

But they are throwing money at the area to try and improve it so things can only get better as some 80's singer once said!

I'm so sorry to disappoint you all but not everyone who grows up on the arbourthorne turns out to be a glue sniffing criminal. :rolleyes:

Its definatly not the nicest place in sheffield but i would say its no-where near being the worst. My parents have lived there about 20 years now and have NEVER had any trouble.

If you have any choice in the matter of whether you live there are not, then DON'T.

Originally posted by mr craig

I'm so sorry to disappoint you all but not everyone who grows up on the arbourthorne turns out to be a glue sniffing criminal. :rolleyes:

Its definatly not the nicest place in sheffield but i would say its no-where near being the worst. My parents have lived there about 20 years now and have NEVER had any trouble.

Having spent my formative years on this estate and some of them the happiest of my life I will return to my original suggestion, take a serious look at the Gleadless/ Intake areas. In fact anywhere between Gleadless Road eastwards to Normanton Hill. If your buying you can still grab the odd bargain but they are becoming rarer to find in these areas.

The Arbour as it stands at the moment is not enjoying the same level of investment as is Norfolk Park the neighbouring estate. Despite being approx 40 years older than it, this is a crying shame as there is a lot to commend the Arbourthorne with, community spirit being one thing that stands out!

There's some nice houses on there. It's the minority who do the bad stuff, not the majority. Glad to see we'll be seeing you, t020, up there in the near future then!! I'm sure they'd want you!!

Hey lindseygail,

I'd look elsewhere if I were you... You may be ok for a short term let, but I wouldn't buy a house on there...

Glad to see people are trying to send you down the hill to Intake! It's nice, the people are alright and there's some bother from kids, but not too much... Intake primary is a good school for the little un's, which then feeds onto the City school (my old territory!!) which isn't the best place to go I'll grant you, but I came out of it alright and its a damn sight better than Myrtle Springs... Quite a few intakers go to the Catholic school on Granville road which is supposed to be okay and also has a 6th form for any older kids.