My cat hates my new puppy - HELP!!!

We got a 14 week old border collie cross puppy on sat. From Rotherham dog rescue he's a wee honey.

My problem is that our 5 yr old cat hates him! the cat has never been one to stop out for any longer than a couple of hours but he's started staying out for 13-14 hrs at a time then coming in having some food then straight back out again.

We've tried to keep him in so they can get used to each other but he gets really distressed and upset, he can't ever chill out because he's always aware of the dogs presence.

I don't know what to do, at the end of the day the cat’s happiness has to be our top priority as he was here first but we love the dog as well.

Any advice?

Thanks

It might take a long time but they will get used to each other eventually. My boy cat didn't come in for months after we got our dog, but he eventually came round.

Mind you he got run over and killed a few months later. Some said it was suicide.

It's really (and I mean REALLY) early days for this relationship. Cats can take a month or longer to sort out pecking orders and acceptance, so don't fret about it yet.

Try to bear with it, and make sure you give your cat lots of love and hugs, and provide him with space to escape the puppy in the house. Then after you've snuggled your cat, rub his head all over with a duster or towel, then rub the puppy with it so he's starting to smell of the cat.

It's a good idea to persist with trying to keep him in for a few hours at a time (but make sure that he has somewhere up high to escape to where he feels safe from the puppy) so he can get lots of love and treats.

There will be scraps- don't worry about that though, it's natural and normal in pecking order setting.

Hang in there, and just remember to fuss the cat lots, even when the puppy's there, so he has no reason to get jealous.

It might take a long time but they will get used to each other eventually. My boy cat didn't come in for months after we got our dog, but he eventually came round.

Mind you he got run over and killed a few months later. Some said it was suicide.

Scoop, were you trying to make Anne feel better or worse there?? :huh:

It's useful to cage your dog whilst the cat is about, so the cat can feel safe and secure, and allow the cat to build up confidence. It may take some time for your cat to figure out that the dog can't climb ;)

If that arrangement doesn't suit, at least consider using a baby gate to enable the cat to escape the dog easily. You can also get dog gates (which are taller) if your dog can leap a baby gate too easily

I've got a gate you can borrow for a couple of weeks if you want to try this out

It's useful to cage your dog whilst the cat is about, so the cat can feel safe and secure, and allow the cat to build up confidence. It may take some time for your cat to figure out that the dog can't climb ;)

If that arrangement doesn't suit, at least consider using a baby gate to enable the cat to escape the dog easily. You can also get dog gates (which are taller) if your dog can leap a baby gate too easily

I've got a gate you can borrow for a couple of weeks if you want to try this out

Very good advice i would say, cage really helps with puppy things too eg house training, night times and to limit chewing etc, i used a cage and gate extensively when introducing new animals into my home and i can say it works wonderfully :thumbsup:

we had that problem but other way round the cat hated the dog but all we did was let them get used to each other and let them both have somewhere to go to get away from each other my cat and dog get on great now there best of mates and when one or other has had enough they go to there place and chill. just give them time and all will be ok its just one tryin to say i was here first im top dog here

Yeah I know it'll take time, I just don't want to get poor Jake stressed to much.

I'm actually surprised how well Indy has settled in here, he doen't cry during the night or anything the only problem we have is him begging for food all the time but thats what happens when you have been previously starved.

We just need to get the toilet training thing down pat he has a wee out side but refused to poo outside and my house stinks of dog poo! well it doesn't stink of it now just when he's only just gone, this isn't helping the cat any lol.

I'll just need to keep at it and I'm going to buy a stair gate anyway as i don't like the dog upstairs, not only is it the refuge for the cat but the study is up here so i think all the wires are dangerous and also i don't want him on the beds or anything. He has his own room to sleep in!

Anyway thanks for all your advice guys xxx

I had the very same problem i hope it works out for you my cat has took off not seen him for weeks am not trying to make you feel bad or anything just being honest i love my cat very much and have been wondering about him hopefully you'll have more success think ill try the dog cage thing though she's driving me crazy with the chewing.good luck anyway diva.

Try not to worry too much. I fear that if you intefere too much you'll make it difficult for yourself. They are very clever animals and they should work out the pecking order between themselves.

Our cats still don't like our dogs but the dogs know not to mess with the cats and the cats ignore the dogs rather than being scared of them.

Be sure that the cat can eat in peace without being 'hounded' so to speak by the dog and ensure that he can get away from the dog if he needs to.

DON'T restrict the movements of your cat. That will make matters far worse. The cat must feel that he can leave at any point that he feels he needs to. By all means, restrictthe movements of your dog. ie. keeping him behind a baby gate, or in a crate while the cats about so the cat can get used to him, knowing that he can't get to him (although our cats thought that because they could get through the gate, so could the puppy!).

Good luck and just try to leave them to sort it out, it could take a very long time but it does work. My friend's cat hardly came down off the wardrobe for two years, now him and the dog curl up together!