Did anyone used to work at Moorwood-vulcan?

Did you relocate to Greens of Ecclesfield building or straight to the Butterthwaite Lane premises? I remember Mr Rudd and Len Fisher. Do you remember Freda Stubbs or Elaine Heeley? We worked for Mr Woods. Do you remember Mrs Morris? When we moved to the Butterthwaite premises we worked in the office within the main factory (we dealt with the orders and the invoicing). Also in our office was Nobby Clark - do you remember him?

where did nobby clark work before mv

does anyone remember jack harrod?

does anyone remember jack harrod?

Yes. Jack was a very good Salesman in the era of Bernard Cowley.

He was a jovial, down to earth bloke always ready for a laugh. I think his son opened a shop opposite the Travellers.

Yes. Jack was a very good Salesman in the era of Bernard Cowley.

He was a jovial, down to earth bloke always ready for a laugh. I think his son opened a shop opposite the Travellers.

yes Pete I know, he was my Grandfather and it's my Father who opened the shop on Green lane with my Mother 20 years ago, I was four when he sadly died, thanks for the kind words about him. My Mum and Dad still buy equipment from the firm...

Does anyone remember working at Moorwood-Vulcan on Harleston Street ,Late 60s to early 70s

I started at Harleston Street in 1967 in the cost office with John Holding as my boss in Mr Laycocks accounts dept. Others I remember were Paul Haslam, Ken Hughes, Audrey Steer, Connie Kitson and Pat Smith. We we next to Colin Woods dept and I remember well Freda, Paula and often saw Bill Shirt.As a junior I toured the factory every morning so met more than most. Do these names mean anything -- Jack Dixon and his son Peter, Brian Barker, Stan Jessop (carpenter), David Montier(R&D),Neil Kitchen,Steve Hudson, Keith Houghton, Malcolm Vaughton, Chris Hulbert, Alan Burden. On the factory floor was Len Fisher with Harry Roberts and Henry Bottom, Fred Langdon was head of stores and Fred Wheatroft in CPO stores. Shop Foremen in the top shop werw Sid Dickenson with Rose, Jim Ryan with a young Harold Hodson welding.

The Crazy Gang were outside Len Fishers office. I'm sure I will remember more. I left in 1974, returned in 1978 and left for good in 1989.

Good memories and good people.

Hi John Major - We were at Harleston Street at the same time as you. I worked in the works office and Chris Hulbert was my boss (Jim Rudd being the big boss). My hubby who was in the estimating office remembers most of the names you recalled. We both especially remember Neil Kitchen. who came to my 21st, the late Steve Hudson, Keith Houghton, Chris Hulbert and Alan Burden. I have been trying to remember the name of a chap who worked in the works office when we first moved to Ecclesfield. I think he moved up from the shop floor and his name was Terry plus a chap called Pete who worked alongside Fred Wheatcroft. I think they were good drinking partners!

As you say - good memories and good people. We also remember the wonderful Harry Roberts who also came to my 21st as did Ann Bloomer.

Hi John Major - We were at Harleston Street at the same time as you. I worked in the works office and Chris Hulbert was my boss (Jim Rudd being the big boss). My hubby who was in the estimating office remembers most of the names you recalled. We both especially remember Neil Kitchen. who came to my 21st, the late Steve Hudson, Keith Houghton, Chris Hulbert and Alan Burden. I have been trying to remember the name of a chap who worked in the works office when we first moved to Ecclesfield. I think he moved up from the shop floor and his name was Terry plus a chap called Pete who worked alongside Fred Wheatcroft. I think they were good drinking partners!

As you say - good memories and good people. We also remember the wonderful Harry Roberts who also came to my 21st as did Ann Bloomer.

Hi Morty, After a little while the memory tries to adjust - I do remember a very nice young lady in production control called Margaret who I believe married Dave Scholes and moved to Norfolk. I took over Daves job as a contract coordinator in 1972/3 when he left to be a rep. I am still in touch with Neil Kitchen and I wonder if the Terry you are referencing is Appleton. Ann Bloomer is still around although I am not personally in contact. I will try to remember more and let you know if anything surfaces although these days its a bit slow. Sorry to hear Steve Hudson passed away he was a nice guy. I did know Bob Ashton and that has surfaced Jack Edwards,Geoff the Marine draughtsman, Ron Peckett the on site marine man and the legendary head of marine whos name eludes me. Thanks for the response.

Hi John Major, Got me in one! I married David in 1968. I left in 1971 to have our first child. The Terry was indeed Terry Appleton. Thanks. Steve died at quite a young age I understand. We were friends with him and his wife for a while. They had just had their first baby then. Bob Ashton was our best man and then he and Susan (his wife)were godparents to our first boy.

Hi Morty, I'm very pleased to hear yourself and David are Ok although I did know Neil kept in touch and Davids name cropped up recently in a chat. Your turn now- JohnMajor is a pen name so can you guess who I am without help from David or Neil?

Hi JohnMajor, We have not been in touch with Neil for over 33 years so some confusion there. My memory not so good so just give me a few hours, ha ha, to think back and try to come up with an answer. I think I will needs David's help on this one though I am afraid.

David and I are well and now have 6 grandchildren. All this as a result of me offering to cook him a meal back in 1968.

Hi JohnMajor. David says the head of marine was Dick Ward. You have got us two O.A.P's stumped. We cannot work out at the moment who you are. Any more clues please?

Hi Morty, I doubt you would remember me a I was the rather undistinguished 17 year old cost office junior who collected the papers from your office everyday - we did have many chats however so you may have some memory.

I returned to MV in 1978 to be Senior Estimator following the sad passing of Wilf Webster and worked with Joan Egley in Ernest Hartleys Dept(Ernest still going strong) and was good friends with Keith Houghton - David may have some memory of this. Do you hear from Eddie Friend he was a nice guy. Neil keeps in touch with a lot of the old MV team and I assumed you were on his list.