Did anyone used to work at Moorwood-vulcan?

Hi JohnMajor I am sorry but we still can't place you. I am sure you were not an undistinguised 17 year old. I must have been about 20 when we had our chats so trying to remember nearly 40 years on is a struggle and no reflection on you at all.

Hi Morty, Back to the forum. Is the Pete you are refering to earlier lilely to be Pete Bullock, I know he was in production area and liked a beer or two. Last time I saw him was many years ago working behind a bar in the top end of Burngreave. A couple of other names have returned i.e. Ivan Bullas and I'm sure I've seen his family name in the press in the recent past, Mr Cook company secretary, George Brooke who was a gentleman sales manager and Bill Allen who was one of the shop foreman. Did Anne Bloomer work in the "banda office" or has my memory gone awol? This forum has set my memory into overtime and I'm glad of the exercise. By the way can you remember how they hijacked Dave Jones car when he got married and decorated it for him.

Hi JohMajor It was indeed Pete Bullock. Thanks. David thinks Ivan was the Manager of Birmingham office. David recalls all the names you mentioned. Anne did indeed work in the "banda" office. We can't remember the hijacking, unfortunately. Do you remember the nice hot pork sandwiches they sold at the butchers on the corner, Radfords? Worth walking up the hill for. Do you remember Vin Radford?

Hi Morty, I do indeed remember Vin Radford, always wore a suit and had white hair - used to give us juniors a hard time but it was well intentioned. The butchers shop up the road and on the left was a daily morning call for me to fetch dripping cakes for the office and pork sandwiches at lunchtime. I sometimes sneaked into the Crown for a quick half and a pork pie on hot days when finances allowed. By the way Keith Houghton is still around and last heard of was involved in the footwear business and I believe lives out Hull way.

Hi Morty, I do indeed remember Vin Radford, always wore a suit and had white hair - used to give us juniors a hard time but it was well intentioned. The butchers shop up the road and on the left was a daily morning call for me to fetch dripping cakes for the office and pork sandwiches at lunchtime. I sometimes sneaked into the Crown for a quick half and a pork pie on hot days when finances allowed. By the way Keith Houghton is still around and last heard of was involved in the footwear business and I believe lives out Hull way.

I remember Vin Radford.He was one of the most helpful blokes around. When I first started at MV, at Harleston St in about 1969, part of my 'apprenticeship' involved standing in for Brian Barker (transport manager) while he took his fortnights holiday. Imagine me as a raw 19 year old, who had trouble knowing where Rotherham was, trying to co-ordinate nationwide deliveries ! I'm not sure what Vin's role was at the time but he appeared to be Brians right hand man, and I'll never forget the help he gave me (after the obligoratory wind-ups)

Hi Muntjac, I seem to remember Brian also had an assistant at some time called Ray who I'm sure was at Harleston St when I started and I agree Vin was a fine bloke although like you cannot remember him being in any particular department. By the way did you receive the book "Beginners Guide to Electrical Wiring" which I borrowed in the 1980's and sent back via your area Manager recently?

Hi JohnMajor, We have not been in touch with Neil for over 33 years so some confusion there. My memory not so good so just give me a few hours, ha ha, to think back and try to come up with an answer. I think I will needs David's help on this one though I am afraid.

David and I are well and now have 6 grandchildren. All this as a result of me offering to cook him a meal back in 1968.

Well Hello- nice to be in contact after all these years. After living in Ecclesfield all these years, we have this year moved to Hampshire to be near our son and family. We have 1 grandchild. Rita is not in the best of health, but we are coping.I am in contact with such a lot of people mentioned in the listings(and some not mentioned such as Christine Nuttall(Typist) and Ron Shaw(Drawing Office/Estimating), also David Clayton(Drawing Office).I have met Bob Ashton & Susan at Hotelympia over the last 6 years - they are well in South Africa and not likely to come back home. They thought that they may retire and not re-visit Hotelympia. I believe their 3 sons are rangers in safari parks.

Moorwood-Vulcan is responsible for giving me a life-long career - great times - great people

Am in contact with Ann Bloomer.

Hi Pinochio Lovely to hear from you after all this time. It seems strange to think that when we all knew each other we were just starting families of our own and here they are with their own children. Sorry to hear about Rita not being so good, say hello to her from me. Please remember us to Bob and Susan should you see them again. We remember their three sons well. The youngest was born the year we got married. Lovely boys. A lovely family. My brother told me about this site and I have been reliving my childhood from the Grimesthorpe site and work memories from this site. Its getting much harder for me to remember some things but David is still very good at remembering work colleagues.

Hello Smileyjiver,I worked for Moorwood Vulcan in London as a service engineer. I remember Mr Rudd.Colin Wood , Bill Shirt and many others. Mrs Morris was the service manager,and Julie helped her. I was made redundant and went to Tack.

I sent Mrs Morris Xmas cards for a few years, I found out from Harry Roberts that Her Husband Walt had died and she went into a home but No one knew where. I did enjoy my visits to Sheffield, More so when Bill Shirt took me to all the good pubs, Shiny Sheff etc.

Happy days Best wishes johnjc

I am new to the forum I am johnjc. is there anyone out there ? I worked for M.V. 1969 to 1976 in London. Who were the girls in the telephone exchange at Ecclesfield when Ron and John visited them about 1974, they seemed pleased to see us. Who was in the pay office when Ron got £5 too much in his pay packet, Mrs Morris said they were pleased when we told them, as they were liable for the loss. So many nice people ,but where are they ?

johnjc

I have jut seen this site about Moorwood Vulcan. My mom was Mavis Morris she was service manager at Moorwood Vulcan, she moved over to Butterthwaite Lane from William Greens. She used to work with a group of Engineers from all over Britain. My Name is Moira and I married Dave Sorsby who also used to work at William Greens

Did Pete Bullock work at the  Toll Gate at Pitsmoor