The Roughs near HighStorrs, remains.

Miss Catcliffe taught me geography in the 1970s.

Miss Beech always made me think of Rosa Klebb from the Bond film From Russia With Love.

My mum pointed out that Miss Beech always seemed to be doing a "Sissy & Ada" (Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough) with one of her breasts. I can't say that I noticed though.

The Stevenson mentioned in previous post was spelt Stephenson. I remember him writing it as Step hen son on the blackboard so we'd remember. It worked, he should have taught me everything that way, because it's the only thing I do remember from his lessons.

Yes, they were always known as "The Roughs" - they were away to the right climbing Hangingwater Road and led up to High Storrs School. Errant pupils found down there were dealt with by Messrs George Mack or George Griffin!

Small point, but I think the gentlemans name was Arthur Griffin. Yes, he was a strict disciplinarion, and both George Mack and Arthur Griffin invited me to bend over the chair on numerous occasions. I met Arthur Griffin in the Hammer and Pincers long after I left High Storrs and socially, he was a good guy with a wicked sense of humour.

My firm favourite had to be the German teacher - Joe Collier. A lovely old man and God rest his soul.

... The green area was KES Whitely Woods playing fields. Looks like the wooden pavilion has gone, as have the pitches too I think. So that could be another foundation?

The 1920s pavilion was demolished in 1989 as it was in such a poor state of repair. I went there last year and could find no trace of its foundations, just a patch of nettles in slightly-disturbed soil where the pavilion had been, near the stream just below the stepping stones. "Sic transit gloria" as my KES Latin master (and keen cricketer) Dr Jameson might have said.

I too remember the roughs I left early 90's used to hide there all the time.

Think I was in stephenson and the other was smith.

Mr hayes science teacher had a big scar on his neck that everyone used to try and work out what it was from. He was there when my mum was..

Mr towl think thats how you spell it always used to take my sink bombs off em the boring man..

top place for wagging pe as sitting on your bum cloudwathing beats cross country running any day also good fortaking your girlfreind for teeny fumblings.

I remember that run very well with either Mr Mathews or Mr Chapell watching out for stagglers, if you ducked out you could cut off the Forge Dam, Trap lane bit and sneak up to Bents Green through the Roughs and wait.

I had Miss Leeson, Miss Elliott (she was the only games teacher I liked) and another whose name I can not remember for the life of me but she had massive muscular legs bigger than any man's:hihi:

I dont remember any of the boys PE teachers but wasn't there a young bloke that all the girls used to fancy?

Edited by Powerage

I too remember the roughs I left early 90's used to hide there all the time.

Think I was in stephenson and the other was smith.

Mr hayes science teacher had a big scar on his neck that everyone used to try and work out what it was from. He was there when my mum was..

Mr towl think thats how you spell it always used to take my sink bombs off em the boring man..

Everyone used to say that Mr Hayes (groz) as he was affectionately known was given a pin sandwich once by some pupils and thats how he got the scar!

I am sure this was pure fiction but you never know.

Small point, but I think the gentlemans name was Arthur Griffin. Yes, he was a strict disciplinarion, and both George Mack and Arthur Griffin invited me to bend over the chair on numerous occasions. I met Arthur Griffin in the Hammer and Pincers long after I left High Storrs and socially, he was a good guy with a wicked sense of humour.

My firm favourite had to be the German teacher - Joe Collier. A lovely old man and God rest his soul.

Yes, Sgt Dave, Joe Collier was a great guy and never in my memory had to use corporal punishment. Why is it that all the best teachers were able to keep order and respect without resorting to it? I remember Joe yelling down the corridor to the ever present line up of boys waiting to go into the classroom "Hinein!" There were several other teachers who ranked alongside Joe as being a cut above the rest. Tom Haller, Pole Robinson, Alf Ridler and Polly Sandford (sp?), for example. Eccentricity added to their appeal. Getting bk to the roughs, in my day (yours too Sgt), the roughs were a place for smoking, hanging out, and if you were lucky and the odd girl happened to stray in there, for what we used to call "chatting up."

I was there for 5 years & left in 1951. They were called the roughs in those days & out of bounds. I also suffered punishment under George Mack & various other masters, Adams (Maths) Haller (biology) to name, but a few.

I still have some good memories though, although some of the Masters weren't up to it due to being too old having been retained longer than normal because of the war years.

Yes, Sgt Dave, Joe Collier was a great guy and never in my memory had to use corporal punishment. Why is it that all the best teachers were able to keep order and respect without resorting to it? I remember Joe yelling down the corridor to the ever present line up of boys waiting to go into the classroom "Hinein!" There were several other teachers who ranked alongside Joe as being a cut above the rest. Tom Haller, Pole Robinson, Alf Ridler and Polly Sandford (sp?), for example. Eccentricity added to their appeal. Getting bk to the roughs, in my day (yours too Sgt), the roughs were a place for smoking, hanging out, and if you were lucky and the odd girl happened to stray in there, for what we used to call "chatting up."

Hi rogG,

Over a year since you replied ... the thread must have been well and truly buried.

I attended High Storrs between 62 - 67 and quite frankly, wasted my time there. I wish I could turn the clock back but .......

I think Polly's surname was Stamford or similar. He was another true gent, a quiet unassuming man, but Joe Collier was head and shoulders above the rest.

I can remember Joe teaching us the German equivalent of Silent Night at Christmas. He had such an endearing way and although I used to give most of the teachers a hard time, I never misbehaved with Joe.

I also remember having the odd smoke in the Roughs. Didn't get the chance to chat any girls up as their lunch breaks didn't coincide with the boys. Oh well.

Edited by Guest

Joe taught us that Carol too, Sgt Dave. He also gave us all German surnames. When there wasn't a direct translation, he made one up. So, mine was Schotte, i.e. Scotsman, because my surname has a Scottish origin. Chatting up the girls - not all that easy because as you say, the lunch bks didn't coincide, except for a bit of overlap, a window of opportunity. More like an extracurricular activity?

Hi rogG,

Over a year since you replied ... the thread must have been well and truly buried.

I attended High Storrs between 62 - 67 and quite frankly, wasted my time there. I wish I could turn the clock back but .......

I think Polly's surname was Stamford or similar. He was another true gent, a quiet unassuming man, but Joe Collier was head and shoulders above the rest.

I can remember Joe teaching us the German equivalent of Silent Night at Christmas. He had such an endearing way and although I used to give most of the teachers a hard time, I never misbehaved with Joe.

I also remember having the odd smoke in the Roughs. Didn't get the chance to chat any girls up as their lunch breaks didn't coincide with the boys. Oh well.

Joe taught us that Carol too, Sgt Dave. He also gave us all German surnames. When there wasn't a direct translation, he made one up. So, mine was Schotte, i.e. Scotsman, because my surname has a Scottish origin. Chatting up the girls - not all that easy because as you say, the lunch bks didn't coincide, except for a bit of overlap, a window of opportunity. More like an extracurricular activity?

Joe wasn't handing out the German surname equivalents when he taught me. He must have aded that particular feature latterly - when did you attend rogG?

Can I also be a nosey beggar and ask where PEI is in Canada? I hail from Canada.