Personal Safety & Awareness

My personal take on it is: what if one (I, or you, for example) posts a thread, and only a newcomer to the forum wants to come along. What then?

If I signed up for a walk that turned out to just be me and the organiser then I wouldn't be offended if they cancelled it due to lack of interest.

Can't imagine anyone else would either if they aren't dodgy.

The person who starts the thread can say up front if they have a minimum number of participants requirement.

EDIT: In other words, exactly what Hecate and her slightly faster typing skills said!

If I signed up for a walk that turned out to just be me and the organiser then I wouldn't be offended if they cancelled it due to lack of interest.

Can't imagine anyone else would either if they aren't dodgy.

The person who starts the thread can say up front if they have a minimum number of participants requirement.

Cool idea. And, it must be said, as the circle of 'group members' grows, we have a greater pool of known people to come along as the 'core' people, to add 'strangers' to. If that makes sense!

It's working for me.......! :)

I'm definitely interested in coming on some of these walks, although I don't think I'll be able to make this weekend. Should be available for the next weekend though!

I'm definitely interested in coming on some of these walks, although I don't think I'll be able to make this weekend. Should be available for the next weekend though!

It'll be great to meet you again:thumbsup:

There are obviously some very highly experienced walkers on this Forum which I'm sorry to say doesnt include me. I wonder whether they could somehow get together and compile a list of issues to consider if going on a walk/ramble/hike or whatever and for small or large groups.

As strix points out there is no radio signal for mobile phones in the Edale area and it would be useful if some information could also be included on this issue.

We could then post it as a sticky and would add feedback on possible amendments as and when required.

Wendy

Are you coming on Saturday Wendy?

I'm happy to talk equipment with you if you intend coming, but (and please don't take this the wrong way) I'm not getting bogged down in anything that could be construed as a risk assessment :suspect:

Taxman - would you say saturday's walk is a 'good pair of walking shoes', 'dog walking boots' or 'proper hiking boots' kind of event?

Are there any 'escape' points en route?

*re-posts on saturday's thread*

Are you coming on Saturday Wendy?

I'm happy to talk equipment with you if you intend coming, but (and please don't take this the wrong way) I'm not getting bogged down in anything that could be construed as a risk assessment :suspect:

Taxman - would you say saturday's walk is a 'good pair of walking shoes', 'dog walking boots' or 'proper hiking boots' kind of event?

Are there any 'escape' points en route?

*re-posts on saturday's thread*

Thanks for the invite strix, I'm fully committed on Fridays/Saturdays. I think the most I could realistically do on Saturday would be to meet you guys at Hunters Bar for a leisurely stroll in my "Sunday best" from which you can take it that I've already done the "risk assessment" :P

If I'm around, I otherwise have a fairly flexible diary unless I've got deadlines to meet. Another aspect of my "risk assessment" is that apart from excellent boots, I dont have suitable clobber and I've already checked the links thread for special offers which are more than I can afford for the foreseeable future.

Wendy, there are plenty of walks where you don't need any special clobber whatsoever - just some old clothes and a pair of trainers. Especially if you pick a nice day for it. It all depends where you want to go.

Thanks for the invite strix, I'm fully committed on Fridays/Saturdays. I think the most I could realistically do on Saturday would be to meet you guys at Hunters Bar for a leisurely stroll in my "Sunday best" from which you can take it that I've already done the "risk assessment" :P

Well how about meeting us to do the park/tarmac path bit of the walk? It's shaping up as quite a popular event, and it would be a great opportunity for us all to get to meet each other - in preparation for future events :)