Personal Safety & Awareness

Well you know him, so presumably you can vouch for him...

That is not the point at all. My point is that there are people who join the forum to meet new people, having moved into the area perhaps, and this group would (on the face of it) be ideal - except we're discriminating before it's even got off the ground (well some people are anyway)

Can we not find a solution to the problem of these worries that doesn't result in the whole group going all cloak-and-dagger?

Another common sense thing in this mobile age would be to take at least one fully charged mobile.

Unless you're going to Edale - where nobody can get a signal at all ;)

That is not the point at all. My point is that there are people who join the forum to meet new people, having moved into the area perhaps, and this group would (on the face of it) be ideal - except we're discriminating before it's even got off the ground (well some people are anyway)

Can we not find a solution to the problem of these worries that doesn't result in the whole group going all cloak-and-dagger?

I should imagine that people who join the forum to meet new people would of course be welcome to join a walk. I don't think anyone is discriminating against such people. As I understand it, the fundamental point is that some people would not feel comfortable about walking in a very small group composed entirely of people who are strangers to eachother.

Solution: Find out who's going before setting off?

Absolutely. I wrote my long post whilst the rest of you were posting, so it maybe looks a little out of sequence.

New faces are MOST WELCOME! :) As long as there are other people there who I know - or if I've joined a group that has been organised by someone else - I'd love the opportunity to walk with you and get to know you! :)

Solution: Find out who's going before setting off?

That's the tricky bit, if you're the organiser!

But thank you, Hecate, for coming to the nub of the problem! :)

4 - incidentally, after I had to cry off going (my mum wanted to see me, and I don't see much of her as it is!), no-one else walked either! Yet, why not? If I wasn't the 'leader', there was absolutely no reason why anyone else interested shouldn't have still met up. No-one did - yet we apparently have no 'leaders'? :confused:
Because we were most interested in doing this walk, not for the walk's sake, but to meet other forumers who share an interest. As there were no other takers, we didn't go on our own ;)

5 - Strix's post about her friend, although valid, isn't really the point - a 'friend of a friend' isn't a stranger! My hesitation about walking with someone I don't know (and I'm talking about the two of us, not him joining a group of people) is to do with complete strangers. Just because someone posts a few posts on the forum, doesn't mean that we know him (or her).:)
My point about our friend is that he is a forumer in his own right. He'd have been welcome as a non-forumer as a friend of ours

Now can we organise a get-together, perhaps for a park walk that can put some of these concerns to bed, and allow us to meet each other in a safe environment? (that isn't aimed at anybody, it's just a general frustration :rolleyes: )

That's the tricky bit, if you're the organiser!

But thank you, Hecate, for coming to the nub of the problem! :)

Why is it tricky? A walk is to be arranged. People sign up for it on the forum. Are we going to be paranoid about publicising our intention to participate in a walk?

BlankFrack, if you're free to join us tomorrow, you'd be welcome! Otherwise, it's possible that there'll be several people walking together on Sunday. Maybe I'll start a thread. Or maybe, someone else could! ;)

:)

Thanks SHsheff - Sent you a PM

Now can we organise a get-together, perhaps for a park walk that can put some of these concerns to bed, and allow us to meet each other in a safe environment? (that isn't aimed at anybody, it's just a general frustration :rolleyes: )

Feel free! :)

Why is it tricky? A walk is to be arranged. People sign up for it on the forum. Are we going to be paranoid about publicising our intention to participate in a walk?

Hecate, it's the 'we' bit! You've just said, 'A walk is to be arranged'. But it's ONE PERSON who posts that thread! What if only one person says they want to come?

If there are loads of people who want to do it, then it's not a problem at all - everyone welcome.

My personal take on it is: what if one (I, or you, for example) posts a thread, and only a newcomer to the forum wants to come along. What then? Does one take a risk and walk with that person? It's a whole different ball-game if several people - some of whom are 'known' - are coming too.

Thanks SHsheff - Sent you a PM

And now sorting out arrangements with you accordingly. :)

Anyone else interested? In either tomorrow's walk, or one on Sunday?

Hecate, it's the 'we' bit! You've just said, 'A walk is to be arranged'. But it's ONE PERSON who posts that thread! What if only one person says they want to come?

If there are loads of people who want to do it, then it's not a problem at all - everyone welcome.

My personal take on it is: what if one (I, or you, for example) posts a thread, and only a newcomer to the forum wants to come along. What then? Does one take a risk and walk with that person? It's a whole different ball-game if several people - some of whom are 'known' - are coming too.

I do see your point, but I think I'd be honest about it. If only one person responded, and especially if that person was someone I didn't know at all or very well, then I'd say something along the lines of 'no offence, but I don't feel comfortable about this walk just being the two of us' and cancel/postpone it until there was more interest. Any rational person would understand the concerns in such a situation and would know not to be offended.