Apple Mac repairs

Hi Jimjamyahauk

Do you still repair macs? If so you might save me a a fruitless trip to the Genius Bar in Meadowhall.

I have a Mac Pro 1.1 desktop. Been running great since the day I bought it but 2 weeks ago it hung as it was loading the login screen. I get the apple splash screen but the screen goes black and I get the beach ball icon. I'm running Lion.

The machine boots fine in safe mode but when I open compressor 3 I get a message about having no VRAM. I suspect it could be the graphics card. I've run the apple hardware test but it says it has no issues to report.

As a final attempt I thought I'd try restoring from time machine backup but I can't get the recovery mode to work properly. I boot to recovery, select my recover partition (have also tried from bootable usb) but it goes to a blank grey screen with a black cursor.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Or if you want pm me to sort an appointment would be delighted! I don't want to waste a few hundred quid on a graphics card if its not that.

Cheers

Jimmyjamh

Hi Jimjamyahauk

Do you still repair macs? If so you might save me a a fruitless trip to the Genius Bar in Meadowhall.

I have a Mac Pro 1.1 desktop. Been running great since the day I bought it but 2 weeks ago it hung as it was loading the login screen. I get the apple splash screen but the screen goes black and I get the beach ball icon. I'm running Lion.

The machine boots fine in safe mode but when I open compressor 3 I get a message about having no VRAM. I suspect it could be the graphics card. I've run the apple hardware test but it says it has no issues to report.

As a final attempt I thought I'd try restoring from time machine backup but I can't get the recovery mode to work properly. I boot to recovery, select my recover partition (have also tried from bootable usb) but it goes to a blank grey screen with a black cursor.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated. Or if you want pm me to sort an appointment would be delighted! I don't want to waste a few hundred quid on a graphics card if its not that.

Cheers

Jimmyjamh

If it's only 2 weeks old, i'd return it... no questions... otherwise, just try an reinstall using the DVD's that came with it... make sure to back up everything you want to keep first...

If it's only 2 weeks old, i'd return it... no questions... otherwise, just try an reinstall using the DVD's that came with it... make sure to back up everything you want to keep first...

Thanks man. Unfortunately it's 5 years old so can't return. My original discs are tiger so can't do time machine restore using them

Hi jimmyjamh,

Sorry to hear about your MacPro problems.

It could be a hardware issue - although I suspect that starting in safe mode and reporting no VRAM is more about the additional software normally loaded (kexts) for Compressor to work being disabled due to safe mode.

However, first step is always to think software faults... What I would do is:

* Try to get it to boot to a Lion restore disk in order to run Disk Utility to repair the volume

* Try to re-install Lion (using this process: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-your-own-os-x-lion-bootable-usb-flash-drive-tutorial/) with the option to keep user data,

One thing you can try to get the machine to boot with the Tiger DVDs. If all seems well when booting this it's likely to be a software issue.

Please PM if you'd like to pop it round for some further diagnoses.

Hi Jimjamyahauk

Cheers

Jimmyjamh

Hi jimmyjamh,

Sorry to hear about your MacPro problems.

It could be a hardware issue - although I suspect that starting in safe mode and reporting no VRAM is more about the additional software normally loaded (kexts) for Compressor to work being disabled due to safe mode.

However, first step is always to think software faults... What I would do is:

* Try to get it to boot to a Lion restore disk in order to run Disk Utility to repair the volume

* Try to re-install Lion (using this process: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-make-your-own-os-x-lion-bootable-usb-flash-drive-tutorial/) with the option to keep user data,

One thing you can try to get the machine to boot with the Tiger DVDs. If all seems well when booting this it's likely to be a software issue.

Please PM if you'd like to pop it round for some further diagnoses.

Hi

Thanks for the reply and tips. I've not had chance to try it yet but will give it a go Wednesday night.

I've tried creating the bootable USB stick before but when booting into recovery I get a blank grey screen. Will attempt this method

Fingers crossed

Thanks again. Will Pm you i need to arrange to bring it round

Hello all,

I've got a MacBook from 2004. It runs fine but the OS is so old that I can't update Firefox, IE, etc. Therefore I can't update my website as my older browsers don't support HTML 5.

So I need the most current OS that will work with such an old system. How much would it be to install a new OS and Microsoft Office. I don't need a licensed copy of either? And how long do repairs take (assuming I bring the computer to you with my personal files copied already).

Here are the specs:

Model Name: MacBook

Model Identifier: MacBook2,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 1 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Many thanks in advance.

Jam T (yes another person with a MAC problem who has Jam in their user name!!)

Hello JimJamyahauk (or anyone else that can do a new OS for an old MAC)

I've tried PM'ing you but your inbox is full. Do you still do MAC repairs?

Cheers!

Hi James. I'm new to the forum and so can't pm you until I've posted 5 times. Would you be kind enough to call me on 07900220456 if you still do Mac repairs. Thanks

If any of you lovely people feel like donating your old and/or broken apple computers I would greatly appreciate them.

I am a University student studying computing and could do with more experience tinkering with OSX.

Thanks

Aaron