Parent and Child Parking Spaces

One of my pet hates is when I do use an ordinary space people come & park so close they can barely get out. My car seats are in full view so if they can barely open the door then I obviously can't get a child in & out of the car seat.

Exactly my point, if I go out of my way to park carefully to make sure I can open the door without risking damaging anyone elses car why on earth do people park so ridiculously close when the car seat and baby on board sign is in clear view? It's like they WANT you to damage their car. :loopy:

It never fails to amaze me how selfish some people are. This discussion has been round and round in lots of previous threads and no matter how many parents explain the benefits to them and their children of having some extra wide spaces, the exceptionally selfish people will always come up with 'well if I want to be a bone idle selfish slug I will be' as if that's supposed to make us all feel guilty for making use of something that goes a little way to making life a little easier and safer. These are, of course, the same people who will be expecting OUR kids to pay for their old-age :rolleyes:

Should read the post correctly before adding such a silly comment.

The bit where you say that you'd whack the car next to you out of spite and blame it on your child, or a different bit?

The bit where you say that you'd whack the car next to you out of spite and blame it on your child, or a different bit?

I suggest you do what other people have told you and read the 'actual' words and not what your over-active imagination plants into your head.

Edited by Bonny

And you wonder why people resent you and your special parking spaces?

I don't wonder why people resent me - I wasn't aware anyone did resent me??? If they do they must have an exceptionally poor life. As for why SOME people may resent Parent and Child spaces - you're spot on there - I do wonder why anyone could resent them. I've read posts by people who don't agree with them, but no-one has given anything near a sound basis for why they resent them. The people on here who say they don't agree with them also openly say they park in them (some just for the hell of it) so why do they resent them when they're the one's using them? Quite illogical really.

Seems some people would like extra room just to heave their supersized egos out of their cars. Maybe we could have an area at Tesco for "massive bum face" parking too? ;)

It's a bit sad to 'resent' someone for a larger parking space when there are about 1,000 free spaces you could be parking in anyway. People must be short of things to think about.

Ok, I know I'm probably opening an enormous can of worms here but hey, it's raining, I've got time!

Was at Tesco on Infirmary Road on Wednesday evening and parked in one of the parent & child spaces, as I have a 5 month old and the extra space makes it easier for me to get the car seat out. Another parent pulled in to the next space with her teenage child, who was on her mobile arranging a boozy night out. She was challenged by another mother on the other side with three young kids about her need to use the space, but gave her a right mouthful - what effing right did she have to tell her where she could park etc. Surely if the child is able bodied (or she'd have parked in the disabled space?) and old enough to be drinking she's old enough to use a normal parking space?

So.... Do you think P&C spaces are a help, a nuisance, drive you crazy? I know technically me (30 something) and my 50+ mother could park in one, being a parent and child but shouldn't there be some kind of self imposed limit? Or should the supermarkets be doing more to sort it?

It seems to me that these spaces are widely misused. In the end, the lady who challenged the teen and her mother reported the car to Tesco who asked her to move, but as she'd finished her shopping by this point she wasn't really that bothered!

What do others think?

What about children picking their parents up :confused::confused: :hihi::hihi::hihi:

But when I return to said space and someone has parked so close to the rear door so that it can't be opened without banging into it - so be it. Woops kids can be so clumsy

Your words. Your sarcastic, 'woops', your intent to commit criminal damage out of spite.

If you don't mean it, you probably shouldn't write it.

i dont really understand why a lot of people get soo stressed out about these parking spaces to be honest, is it that they want to be closer to the shops themselves?

people who object always come out with the same "its not fair you choose to have kids blah blah"

well yes we do choose to have kids but the supermarket put the spaces there not the parents, you should be complaining to them really. nto arguing with each other in car parks.