Parent and Child Parking Spaces

We used to shop at Fine Fare at the Stag.

I'm glad its not just me that remembers them. :D

we used to shop at Fine Fare in Hackenthorpe.

i think my mother still got some of the yellow packets in her cupboard:hihi::hihi:

As mentioned in this or one of the many previous threads on parent and child parking, the spaces don't necessarily need to be right next to the entrance (though in many cases, they are). I agree that they should be wider than standard in order to accommodate the prams, car seats etc. There's no need for them to be immediatey adjacent to the door. Such locations should be given up to disabled driver spaces.

i commend this idea to the house....

Just where do you think the children are supposed to go if not with their parents? I am a disabled parent so could qualify for either. Fact is I don't use either generally as I have an electric trike and the children are old enough to look after themselves, but I did use them when the children were small. Borrow someone elses small children and pushchair and shopping and try it and you'll see why its necessary. Do you really want small children crossing a large car park? I find car parks terrifying enough with children. Drivers don't see small children often and no matter how careful you are there's always hair-raising incidents. It's certainly not about being lazy. Children are noisy but so are adults. I always give our children part of the shopping list and then there is a competition to see who completes their portion first. They don't get bored and shopping is finished in half the time. When they were younger I gave them a basket to carry with a fewer of the lighter items.

I'm not sure you addressed this to the correct person.

Probably not. I tried to get the quote above but somehow yours came instead. Whoops

I think they should be scrapped altogether. You choose to have kids, why should you get preferential parking treatment for it.

Why? Because it's surprisingly easy to drop a baby on it's head when you're carrying it, its pushchair, a shed-load of shopping and trying to stop the car door from blowing off in bad weather! Besides, that child will be paying your pension one day, having been brought up at its parent's expense. I've been very glad of those spaces, but always shopped when it was quiet, so never faced competition.

Paying my pension, I doubt it, by the time I retire the state pension will have been scrapped and I'll have saved enough to pay for myself.

I have no objection to the spaces really if you need to open your doors wide. But last time I checked the far side of the car park would be just fine, parents still have legs so you don't need to be close to the door.

i agree we still have legs and dont need to be near the door...all i ask is that parent and child spaces are saved just for that.same as disabled parking spaces are saved for the disabled...i would never dream of parking in a disabled place.....and the same should go for parent and child.i myself have a 5year old....if she was in the car i would park in a normal parking space.

I always shop late and ignore the child/disabled bays. Why not go a little further and allow them to drive cars in and select items from the shelves without having to get out of the car!

If someone is able to get around the store why the need to park a couple of inches from the entrance. Anyway the exercise will do the little porkers good!

Apart from severly disabled, they can get lost! The disabled sticker thing is a joke, the local gyms car parks full of cars with them in!

I always shop late and ignore the child/disabled bays. Why not go a little further and allow them to drive cars in and select items from the shelves without having to get out of the car!

If someone is able to get around the store why the need to park a couple of inches from the entrance. Anyway the exercise will do the little porkers good!

Apart from severly disabled, they can get lost! The disabled sticker thing is a joke, the local gyms car parks full of cars with them in!

You're after killing this thread aren't you?

Anyway the exercise will do the little porkers good!

QUOTE]

amazingly the worse behaved people for parking are skinny bints and muscle bound idiots,sam jones is always packed near the doorway people driving round to get closer.

why not park in the nearest bay and walk -get some free warm up's.

and don't get me started on weight watcher/slimming world participants :suspect: they'd drive all the way onto the scales if they could.

I agree, here in oxford it is amazing how many cars have disabled stickers, and you see the driver run across the road, dodging traffic because they are parked in a dangerous spot on double yellow lines, leaving an empty car for hours causing traffic hold-ups.

and don't get me started on weight watcher/slimming world participants :suspect: they'd drive all the way onto the scales if they could

Now then, I park at the opposite end of the car park.

I'm fat and I have kids. We all have legs and walking an extra couple of hundred yards to the shop is not going to hurt us.

Unless you really need the space there is no real reason why you need to park next to the shop for a pint of milk.

Is it not just easier to leave disabled spaces for disabled and P & C for P & C.

Maybe I'm the exception to the rule, I don't know.

BTW - The scales are up four flights of stairs, and to this day do not own a hover car. :hihi: